Madcap Sailing

24 March 2018 | boat in Gold River, NS and crew in Halifax
22 May 2017 | Whittaker Creek, Oriental, NC
15 May 2017 | Boat in Oriental, crew in New Orleans and Nova Scotia
26 April 2017 | Oriental, NC
26 April 2017 | Oriental, NC
20 April 2017 | Ocean Isle Marina, Ocean Beach, NC at Mile 335.6
17 April 2017 | Dewees Creek, near Charleston, NC
14 April 2017 | St Simons Island
12 April 2017 | Fernandina Beach, FL
11 April 2017 | St Augustine, FL
07 April 2017 | Vero Beach, Florida
03 April 2017 | Ft Pierce, FL
30 March 2017 | Ft Pierce, Florida
28 October 2016 | Madcap in Ft Pierce, Florida and crew in Halifax, Nova Scotia
06 April 2016 | Riverside Marina, Ft. Pierce, Florida
23 March 2016 | Riverside Marina, Ft. Pierce, Florida
20 March 2016 | Vero Beach, Florida

Mother nature is Still in Charge

05 October 2009 | Shelburne, NS
Beth / windy

It was warmer Saturday morning as we motored out the western channel to head south again. Speaking of heading south - from here we are going almost due West in order to get to the southern tip of Nova Scotia and across the Gulf of Maine.

We made much better time - still motoring but not fighting wind and current as much. The boat that had been anchored with us in Port Mouton turned into Shelburne but we kept going as we debated our course of action and the weather reports. The window for crossing the Gulf was nonexistent so we abandoned our previous idea of continuing on across to beat the coming winds. Instead, we opted to tuck in behind Cape Negro Island in the hope that we would be well enough protected for the night, and would be in position to continue if Sunday looked better. The difficulty is that West winds are forecast for the next several days and those are not good winds for us.

Once the decision was made to stop, we turned off the engine and leisurely sailed along at 3.5 knots. It felt good. We were adjusting our plans to suit the forecast, and we were travelling as a sailboat is meant to travel. Just before 4 p.m. we dropped the anchor, switched on the radio to catch the updated marine weather and decided we needed to change our plans once again. We were too exposed for 25 knot SE winds, and if the weather continued as forecast, there would be no chance of getting out the next day. So... the anchor came up again and we turned back to Shelburne. (This is the first time we have ever actually turned back anywhere, I think.) It took just over an hour to retrace our path to the entrance to Shelburne Harbour and more than that to reach the mooring field at Shelburne yacht Club. It didn't feel so good any more, but by 7 p.m. we were secured for the second time.

I had put a pork tenderloin with vegetables and maple-mustard marinade into the oven as we travelled so we were able to eat as soon as we got settled. I brought a couple of Nova Scotian Crystal wine glasses with us this trip so we enjoyed box wine in elegant goblets in a lovely harbour - even if it was not where we really wanted to be.

I woke up at 2:49 on Sunday morning to an absolutely still boat - no rain or wind - and thought, "Drat! The forecast was wrong!" but by 4am, the wind was moaning in the rigging and we had a gentle rock happening. We were very happy to have made the move because the rest of the day was miserable. It rained off and on, the wind gusted up to 20 knots and we could feel Madcap tugging on her mooring lines. We read, did boat chores, stowed all the things that we had just tossed onboard and whiled away the day.

On Monday morning, we were still making power as the wind generator twirled around. (It' s a KISS and the blades make hardly any noise, but there is a vibration in the pole that we have to get rid of - rattle rattle moan moan!) The sun came out and it is a perfectly lovely day. We dinghied ashore and met folks on Nauti Rowdy, and Petite Ourse who are also waiting to cross. That is the lovely thing about passages - there are always other folks doing the same thing. A conversation with Rick at the Yacht Club yielded lots of information on southern destinations, as well as shared stories of encountering US Border Protection rules and regulations.

The trouble is that the forecast is still nasty: W up to 25 today and tomorrow, then SE which is OK but up to 35 knots which isn't. At the moment, Friday looks like NW20 diminishing to light. That's great if it doesn't change again while we are out there in the Gulf.

Rather than wait here, we called Mary Beth this morning to see if she'd come pick up her parents and take us home again for a few days. Sweet girl that she is, she agreed even though I'm sure she thought she was rid of us for a few months. It's less than 3 hours to get back to our cosy house in Halifax so we'll take ourselves and our dirty laundry back there until the weather looks better. Good thing we are flexible!

The picture above is of our mooring field at South Shore Marine at dawn on departure day. What is that saying about red sky in the morning??
Vessel Name: Madcap
Vessel Make/Model: Bayfield 36
Hailing Port: Halifax, Nova Scotia
Crew: James D Bissell (Jim) and Elizabeth Lusby (Beth)
About: Beth and Jim have spent the last several winters sailing southern waters on s/v Madcap. They love Halifax in the summer, but plan to spend the winters exploring warmer places - currently the Guatemala, Belize, Honduras area.
The Madcap crew left Ottawa in 2007 to go sailing in the Bahamas. After a highly successful year, they returned to Canada, settled in Halifax, Nova Scotia, and in the fall of 2009 they left to do it again! Journey #3 (2010/11) took them back to the Bahamas and then on to Cuba for several weeks [...]
Madcap's Photos - Mad Cap Sailing (Main)
19 Photos
Created 15 May 2017
20 Photos
Created 20 April 2017
62 Photos
Created 30 March 2017
11 Photos
Created 6 April 2016
13 Photos
Created 6 April 2016
5 Photos
Created 6 April 2016
6 Photos
Created 9 March 2016
11 Photos
Created 9 March 2016
23 Photos
Created 25 February 2016
18 Photos
Created 21 February 2016
31 Photos
Created 20 February 2016
4 Photos
Created 20 February 2016
20 Photos
Created 19 February 2016
7 Photos
Created 9 February 2016
51 Photos
Created 24 November 2015
12 Photos
Created 28 October 2015
16 Photos
Created 9 October 2015
24 Photos
Created 3 December 2013
our Oct/Nov 2013 trip to New Zealand
36 Photos
Created 22 November 2013
9 Photos
Created 20 January 2013
Guatemala pics starting Nov 22, 2012
43 Photos
Created 6 December 2012
54 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 8 November 2012
trip to Zion National Park and Bryce Canyon National Park (via Las Vegas)
23 Photos
Created 4 November 2012
20 Photos
Created 1 November 2012
18 Photos
Created 12 February 2012
43 Photos
Created 29 January 2012
62 Photos
Created 19 May 2011
21 Photos
Created 19 May 2011
76 Photos
Created 19 May 2011
8 Photos
Created 19 May 2011