Madcap Sailing

31 December 2018 | Gold River Marina, Nova Scotia, Canada
06 August 2018 | Mahone Bay, Nova Scotia
26 May 2018 | Gold River Marina, Gold River, NS
18 May 2018 | Gold River Marina, Gold River, NS
24 March 2018 | boat in Gold River, NS and crew in Halifax
22 May 2017 | Whittaker Creek, Oriental, NC
15 May 2017 | Boat in Oriental, crew in New Orleans and Nova Scotia
26 April 2017 | Oriental, NC
26 April 2017 | Oriental, NC
20 April 2017 | Ocean Isle Marina, Ocean Beach, NC at Mile 335.6
17 April 2017 | Dewees Creek, near Charleston, NC
14 April 2017 | St Simons Island
12 April 2017 | Fernandina Beach, FL
11 April 2017 | St Augustine, FL
07 April 2017 | Vero Beach, Florida
03 April 2017 | Ft Pierce, FL
30 March 2017 | Ft Pierce, Florida

A Quick Stop

28 November 2009 | Beaufort, NC
Beth / 60's F sunny
I stayed snuggled in bed this morning while Jim did his departure chores before we left Oriental- checked the engine - fuel and oil levels, raw water intake filter. He topped up the fuel tank with diesel from the jerry cans and did the same with the water cans and then went off to refill them all. When the coffee was ready, most of the chores were done and my book was finished, I rolled out of our snuggly berth and prepared for the day with a shower at the marina. This is the only marina I know of that provides towels along with shampoo and soap. Oriental Marina is a class act.

Then I headed off to the local Farmers' market. That was somewhat disappointing because there were fewer than a dozen tables, very little produce and no baking except for some little nut loaves. On the upside though, was the quality - some beautiful pottery, jewelry, wooden baskets, recycled sailcloth bags, and handmade grocery bags. I sipped hot cider from Wit's End Art Gallery as I perused the stalls. From Will, I bought a lovely produce basket made of teak with a screen bottom, and then got sweet potatoes, rutabagas and peppers to put in it. It will be useful for storing vegetables on the boat. If I didn't have to put all my Christmas shopping in a suitcase to fly back to Canada, I'd have bought a few more of these lovely baskets! (The pic shows some vendors; Will is wearing the blue shirt and green ball cap!)

The fish market opened at 10 and I bought salmon and shrimp. The salmon has been out of the water for a few days, so when we had it for dinner tonight, I baked it with sundried tomatoes, capers, garlic along with a drizzle of olive oil and lemon juice. I told the vendor how many dollars I had left in my pocket and asked for as much shrimp as I could have for that amount. By the look of the scale, he was generous.

While I had fun on the waterfront, Jim lugged our propane tank to the hardware store to fill it, and stowed a block of ice in the icebox. Then it was time to make our departure and it went as smooth as silk. Tom (dockmaster/manager) was a big help in handling docklines and giving advice on how best to get out of the slip without hitting Melodeon. By following his suggestions, Jim backed Madcap farther into the corner than he would have otherwise dared (because of depth concerns), then swung the bow around and we were off in beautiful form. Thanks Tom!!

We had a half hour sail across the Neuse River but as we got into Adams Creek, the wind died so we had to motor the next 3 hours to Beaufort where we anchored in Taylor Creek - just off the town docks. We dinghied ashore and had a nice little walk around. The town is getting dressed for Christmas, and it is a very pretty little town with lots of attractive shops and restaurants and houses dating from the 1700's. Our impression wasn't all that favourable last time, but I think we might have sold it short. (We were suffering Customs and Border Patrol Stress then). We have to leave very early tomorrow (Sunday) so we'll plan for a longer exploration on the way back north in the spring. On the way back to Madcap, we swung by Feelin' Lucky to say good night - and good bye for now. That is one beautiful boat - an Island Packet 44. I truly do love my Bayfield 36 but ... if one had 8 footitis, one might look in that direction!!

We'd love to jump out to do the next stretch on the outside, but with south west winds forecast, they'd be on our nose. If we have to motor, we might as well stay in the ICW and then try to go out at Cape Fear. That way, we'd avoid the long detour around Frying Pan Shoals too. The winds will be favourable on Tuesday, but we want to keep moving - so, as of tonight, inside wins.
Comments
Vessel Name: Madcap
Vessel Make/Model: Bayfield 36
Hailing Port: Halifax, Nova Scotia
Crew: James D Bissell (Jim) and Elizabeth Lusby (Beth)
About: Beth and Jim have spent several winters sailing southern waters on s/v Madcap. They love Halifax in the summer, but loved to spend the winters exploring warmer places - the Bahamas, Cuba, Mexico, Guatemala, Belize, Honduras.
Extra:
The Madcap crew left Ottawa in 2007 to go sailing in the Bahamas. After a highly successful year, they returned to Canada, settled in Halifax, Nova Scotia, and in the fall of 2009 they left to do it again! Journey #3 (2010/11) took them back to the Bahamas and then on to Cuba for several weeks [...]
Social:
Madcap's Photos - Mad Cap Sailing (Main)
19 Photos
Created 15 May 2017
20 Photos
Created 20 April 2017
62 Photos
Created 30 March 2017
11 Photos
Created 6 April 2016
13 Photos
Created 6 April 2016
5 Photos
Created 6 April 2016
6 Photos
Created 9 March 2016
11 Photos
Created 9 March 2016
23 Photos
Created 25 February 2016
18 Photos
Created 21 February 2016
31 Photos
Created 20 February 2016
4 Photos
Created 20 February 2016
20 Photos
Created 19 February 2016
7 Photos
Created 9 February 2016
51 Photos
Created 24 November 2015
12 Photos
Created 28 October 2015
16 Photos
Created 9 October 2015
24 Photos
Created 3 December 2013
our Oct/Nov 2013 trip to New Zealand
36 Photos
Created 22 November 2013
9 Photos
Created 20 January 2013
Guatemala pics starting Nov 22, 2012
43 Photos
Created 6 December 2012
54 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 8 November 2012
trip to Zion National Park and Bryce Canyon National Park (via Las Vegas)
23 Photos
Created 4 November 2012
20 Photos
Created 1 November 2012
18 Photos
Created 12 February 2012
43 Photos
Created 29 January 2012
62 Photos
Created 19 May 2011
21 Photos
Created 19 May 2011
76 Photos
Created 19 May 2011
8 Photos
Created 19 May 2011