Madcap Sailing

31 December 2018 | Gold River Marina, Nova Scotia, Canada
06 August 2018 | Mahone Bay, Nova Scotia
26 May 2018 | Gold River Marina, Gold River, NS
18 May 2018 | Gold River Marina, Gold River, NS
24 March 2018 | boat in Gold River, NS and crew in Halifax
22 May 2017 | Whittaker Creek, Oriental, NC
15 May 2017 | Boat in Oriental, crew in New Orleans and Nova Scotia
26 April 2017 | Oriental, NC
26 April 2017 | Oriental, NC
20 April 2017 | Ocean Isle Marina, Ocean Beach, NC at Mile 335.6
17 April 2017 | Dewees Creek, near Charleston, NC
14 April 2017 | St Simons Island
12 April 2017 | Fernandina Beach, FL
11 April 2017 | St Augustine, FL
07 April 2017 | Vero Beach, Florida
03 April 2017 | Ft Pierce, FL
30 March 2017 | Ft Pierce, Florida

yet Another Cuban City

04 April 2011 | Camaguey
Beth - 90's
With a few more days at our disposal before winds that would blow us westward, the crews of Madcap and Camelot decided not to let any grass grow under our feet.

Jackie liked the look of Camiguey, about 3 hours west of Puerto de Vita so off we went. It was a good choice and we had the opportunity to discover yet another distinctly flavoured Cuban city - the third largest at 325,000. We read that it had a labyrinthine layout to its streets, developed over two centuries of fighting off pirates. There aren’t pirates there today - well at least we didn’t run into any - but the winding streets and alleys (many of them one way) are still hugely confusing. We used the same technique as in Santiago. Keep going, keep cool and eventually a street will match the map and it will all become clear. Once again, Jackie did a masterful job. We parked near a casa particular that was listed in our guide book and looked interesting. Alas, there was no room, but the helpful man led us around a corner or two to an amigo who did have space. Only one unfortunately, so John and Jackie stayed there and Jim and I stayed in yet another casa around another corner. We were told that the city was pretty well full because many tourists had been relocated due to some sort of problems in another area. These were not quite as grand as the Santiago place, but were still most interesting, with inner courtyards that can’t be imagined from the street.

We had read that there was more danger from pickpockets here, but we saw no sign of it ourselves. What we did see was a more modern city, with considerably more restoration and renovation happening. It didn’t have the gorgeous old stone buildings with ornate carvings and railings, but it had a charm all its own. Calle Republica is a pedestrian street with shops of every kind. We stopped by a recreation facility and found a bowling alley, an arcade, and in the back, a swimming pool chock a block with children happily splashing away a Sunday afternoon. We chatted with a woman at the bowling alley - amazed to hear the voice from a Spanish looking woman - it was distinctly New Jersey! She was here visiting relatives. Farther along the street, we came across a huge ice cream shop - with lines too long to wait for. (We ate Nestle ice cream products all over Cuba!) The shops are full of products - a little out of date and not as expensive by North American standards, but very hip and very expensive for Cubans. Once again, we were reminded that many Cubans rely on money sent home from relatives abroad, and from CUC’s they manage to earn on the black market and from operating casa particulares and paladars (home based restaurants)

John and Jackie’s “Casa Mama” suggested Bodegon Don Cayetano for lunch and we were pleased with the food we ate in the attractive outdoor patio. Jackie and I had the chef special described in our book - steak in red wine and mushroom sauce, and it was delicious indeed.

In the evening, we dressed up and visited the Sala Fiesta El Colonial. We were expecting a cabaret style show, and it wasn’t quite like that, but we did see a show! The clientele was mostly African/Cuban (and the Spanish fellow we met earlier didn’t recommend going there - he said there is often trouble later in the evening.) We went anyway and didn’t see any sign of trouble although the sexual energy was almost palpable. Those drums were intoxicating and the scantily dressed young women wiggled those hips. We left about 10 and Jim and I drifted down to Parque Ignacio Agramonte to catch the last bit of beautiful music from a full orchestra on the steps of the Cathedral. While we enjoyed the music and rhythms of the Colonial, I couldn’t help thinking I’d be much happier to have my children in the orchestra here. Unfortunately they wrapped up shortly after we got there, and there didn’t seem to be music at the Casa de la Trova, so we sat on a marble bench for a while to watch the families - grandparents, parents and children - before making our way back to our casa.

Before leaving the next morning, we walked to Plaza del Carmen, a quiet little square where the tinajones (large clay pots once used for catching rainwater) are now used as planters, and where life sized statues of Camagueyanos seem to be going about their daily business.

It took us forever to find our way through the maze of one way streets - and more than once we ended up going the wrong way or driving on an alley meant for bikes - and we all breathed huge sighs of relief as we crossed the Rio Hatibonico and left the city behind us. Don’t let me influence you to avoid Camiquey though - it is well worth a visit - just be patient and persistent!
Comments
Vessel Name: Madcap
Vessel Make/Model: Bayfield 36
Hailing Port: Halifax, Nova Scotia
Crew: James D Bissell (Jim) and Elizabeth Lusby (Beth)
About: Beth and Jim have spent several winters sailing southern waters on s/v Madcap. They love Halifax in the summer, but loved to spend the winters exploring warmer places - the Bahamas, Cuba, Mexico, Guatemala, Belize, Honduras.
Extra:
The Madcap crew left Ottawa in 2007 to go sailing in the Bahamas. After a highly successful year, they returned to Canada, settled in Halifax, Nova Scotia, and in the fall of 2009 they left to do it again! Journey #3 (2010/11) took them back to the Bahamas and then on to Cuba for several weeks [...]
Social:
Madcap's Photos - Mad Cap Sailing (Main)
19 Photos
Created 15 May 2017
20 Photos
Created 20 April 2017
62 Photos
Created 30 March 2017
11 Photos
Created 6 April 2016
13 Photos
Created 6 April 2016
5 Photos
Created 6 April 2016
6 Photos
Created 9 March 2016
11 Photos
Created 9 March 2016
23 Photos
Created 25 February 2016
18 Photos
Created 21 February 2016
31 Photos
Created 20 February 2016
4 Photos
Created 20 February 2016
20 Photos
Created 19 February 2016
7 Photos
Created 9 February 2016
51 Photos
Created 24 November 2015
12 Photos
Created 28 October 2015
16 Photos
Created 9 October 2015
24 Photos
Created 3 December 2013
our Oct/Nov 2013 trip to New Zealand
36 Photos
Created 22 November 2013
9 Photos
Created 20 January 2013
Guatemala pics starting Nov 22, 2012
43 Photos
Created 6 December 2012
54 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 8 November 2012
trip to Zion National Park and Bryce Canyon National Park (via Las Vegas)
23 Photos
Created 4 November 2012
20 Photos
Created 1 November 2012
18 Photos
Created 12 February 2012
43 Photos
Created 29 January 2012
62 Photos
Created 19 May 2011
21 Photos
Created 19 May 2011
76 Photos
Created 19 May 2011
8 Photos
Created 19 May 2011