Madcap Sailing

31 December 2018 | Gold River Marina, Nova Scotia, Canada
06 August 2018 | Mahone Bay, Nova Scotia
26 May 2018 | Gold River Marina, Gold River, NS
18 May 2018 | Gold River Marina, Gold River, NS
24 March 2018 | boat in Gold River, NS and crew in Halifax
22 May 2017 | Whittaker Creek, Oriental, NC
15 May 2017 | Boat in Oriental, crew in New Orleans and Nova Scotia
26 April 2017 | Oriental, NC
26 April 2017 | Oriental, NC
20 April 2017 | Ocean Isle Marina, Ocean Beach, NC at Mile 335.6
17 April 2017 | Dewees Creek, near Charleston, NC
14 April 2017 | St Simons Island
12 April 2017 | Fernandina Beach, FL
11 April 2017 | St Augustine, FL
07 April 2017 | Vero Beach, Florida
03 April 2017 | Ft Pierce, FL
30 March 2017 | Ft Pierce, Florida

Visiting and More Visiting

13 November 2011 | Tiger Point Marine, Fernandina Beach FL
Beth / 39 F at night!
We have been happily occupied with visiting during most of this past week.

Baird (Romulus) came over one night for dinner - I will feed him any time in return for his stories! He has been a big help to us - introducing us to Ingemar from whom we bought a whisker pole to help us with our wing on wing sailing this year.

Sue and Terry arrived for what was to have been a sailing vacation but in the spirit of true cruisers, they adjusted well to the demands of weather and boat issues and we did other things instead. We spent a day in St Augustine, exploring Flagler College with its gorgeous Tiffany glass and Edison lights, wandering through the touristy streets where they found a great sun for their sunporch, and driving through other quaint old streets when the rain threatened. The wind howled along the waterfront and we were all very pleased that we weren't bouncing around on a mooring ball out there! We lunched at the A1A Bar, paid yet another visit to West Marine in Jacksonville, and arrived back in Fernandina Beach in time for dinner - tilapia cooked with cherry tomatoes, a generous grind of pepper and parmesan cheese, along with roasted potatoes and green beans steamed and served with a drizzle of olive oil. We topped off every meal with a handful (or two) of "chocolate covered Campbell Nuts". Mmmm. Sue shared her recipe so we'll be having them again!

On Monday, we took advantage of their help to get the sails on. Having several sets of hands to move the large expanse of sailcloth along the deck made the job easier - and I don't think Sue's shoulders got totally dislocated from hanging on to flapping sheets! We thought about sending Terry up the mast to rehang our radar reflector but the wind was up and time was short and we went off to play instead. Sue and I visited my new favourite consignment shop, Frugal Cachet, on 14th St while the guys visited the hardware store. Doesn't that sound like a good division of shopping time?

We finished off their visit with breakfast at T Ray's, a Fernandina Beach "must do", and a lovely walk on the beach to work off at least a little bit of the bacon and sausage and biscuits and eggs and grits we had just consumed. It was so good to have them aboard - next time surely we will get to go sailing!

Richard and Carole (Kilissa) arrived in town on Wednesday. What a wonderful sight it was to see these two back into cruising life after a two year hiatus. Richard has almost fully recovered from his broken wrists and elbows and is building strength through the daily regimen of boat jobs. They came over to join us along with Karin and Ed (Passages) for drinks on Madcap and then we met up with Dick and Tina at Peppers for a filling and tasty Mexican meal.

Thursday night was party night at Devoes. Steve and Sandi drive down from St Simon's, Chip and Faith were in town, and we picked up Richard and Carole at the city marina dock and headed for the party - BBQ'd burgers and dogs, the rice/lentil salad that I adapted from one Mary (Strathspey) served us last summer and sweet little orange tomatoes tossed with fresh basil and tangy feta cheese filled what space was left in our stomachs after nibbling on a whole smorgasbord of dips and crackers.

We were astounded to see Theodore Too docked at the city marina when we picked up Richard and Carole the night before, so on Friday morning, Jim and I went back to the long dock to see this tugboat from Halifax. It takes visitors on harbor cruises back home, and ties up at the waterfront about a 20 minute walk from our house, and I was as excited as a child to see it here. Unfortunately no one seemed to be about so we weren't able to talk with any of the crew, but we were still thrilled to see this Nova Scotia ambassador boat here in our southern home.

We drove to St Simon's later on Friday to spend a couple of nights with Steve and Sandi in their new home. They've been working flat out getting boxes unpacked, carpets laid and paintings hung, but we managed to distract them and we headed out for drinks at Brogans and then a trip across the bridge to Brunswick for some wonderful pizza. A warm bed in a real house felt awfully good that night - the temperature went down to about 39 F. On Saturday, we visited an Art show downtown, picked up an armload of books at the fine used book store there, and then headed for the beach. After a mouthwatering lunch of pulled pork sandwiches, we strolled the long beach on the northeast side of the island, feeling the wind on our faces and the sun in our hair. Ahhhh. In order not to waste a single minute of the day, we then headed off to the movie theatre to see J. Edgar - a most interesting if distressing movie! How did such a person wield such power for so long?

An early morning departure brought us back to Tiger Point to get ready for the big departure on Monday.
Comments
Vessel Name: Madcap
Vessel Make/Model: Bayfield 36
Hailing Port: Halifax, Nova Scotia
Crew: James D Bissell (Jim) and Elizabeth Lusby (Beth)
About: Beth and Jim have spent several winters sailing southern waters on s/v Madcap. They love Halifax in the summer, but loved to spend the winters exploring warmer places - the Bahamas, Cuba, Mexico, Guatemala, Belize, Honduras.
Extra:
The Madcap crew left Ottawa in 2007 to go sailing in the Bahamas. After a highly successful year, they returned to Canada, settled in Halifax, Nova Scotia, and in the fall of 2009 they left to do it again! Journey #3 (2010/11) took them back to the Bahamas and then on to Cuba for several weeks [...]
Social:
Madcap's Photos - Mad Cap Sailing (Main)
19 Photos
Created 15 May 2017
20 Photos
Created 20 April 2017
62 Photos
Created 30 March 2017
11 Photos
Created 6 April 2016
13 Photos
Created 6 April 2016
5 Photos
Created 6 April 2016
6 Photos
Created 9 March 2016
11 Photos
Created 9 March 2016
23 Photos
Created 25 February 2016
18 Photos
Created 21 February 2016
31 Photos
Created 20 February 2016
4 Photos
Created 20 February 2016
20 Photos
Created 19 February 2016
7 Photos
Created 9 February 2016
51 Photos
Created 24 November 2015
12 Photos
Created 28 October 2015
16 Photos
Created 9 October 2015
24 Photos
Created 3 December 2013
our Oct/Nov 2013 trip to New Zealand
36 Photos
Created 22 November 2013
9 Photos
Created 20 January 2013
Guatemala pics starting Nov 22, 2012
43 Photos
Created 6 December 2012
54 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 8 November 2012
trip to Zion National Park and Bryce Canyon National Park (via Las Vegas)
23 Photos
Created 4 November 2012
20 Photos
Created 1 November 2012
18 Photos
Created 12 February 2012
43 Photos
Created 29 January 2012
62 Photos
Created 19 May 2011
21 Photos
Created 19 May 2011
76 Photos
Created 19 May 2011
8 Photos
Created 19 May 2011