Madcap Sailing

31 December 2018 | Gold River Marina, Nova Scotia, Canada
06 August 2018 | Mahone Bay, Nova Scotia
26 May 2018 | Gold River Marina, Gold River, NS
18 May 2018 | Gold River Marina, Gold River, NS
24 March 2018 | boat in Gold River, NS and crew in Halifax
22 May 2017 | Whittaker Creek, Oriental, NC
15 May 2017 | Boat in Oriental, crew in New Orleans and Nova Scotia
26 April 2017 | Oriental, NC
26 April 2017 | Oriental, NC
20 April 2017 | Ocean Isle Marina, Ocean Beach, NC at Mile 335.6
17 April 2017 | Dewees Creek, near Charleston, NC
14 April 2017 | St Simons Island
12 April 2017 | Fernandina Beach, FL
11 April 2017 | St Augustine, FL
07 April 2017 | Vero Beach, Florida
03 April 2017 | Ft Pierce, FL
30 March 2017 | Ft Pierce, Florida

Work Before Play

14 March 2012 | Cucumber Beach Marina, Belize City
Beth / sun and showers
Friday, March 9/12
First order of the day – showers. There are two – a gents and a ladies – both on the shabby side, but with lots of hot water – and both on the far side of the harbour, meaning that if you don’t need a shower when you start out, you need one by the time you walk there in the hot sun. Fortunately there are beautiful toilets and sinks very near the boat – part of the Old Belize Complex – for more frequent visits.

Black Sparrow – Yes that is how he introduced himself – came by because he had heard that we needed a diver to put a new zinc anode on the prop. When Jim removed the tangled bag a few days ago, he discovered there was nothing left of the anode at all, and he can’t hold his breath long enough to put on a new one. (And I would be hopeless at that!) $25 US and much conversation later, we had an anode and lots of ideas for excursions from here.

We bought lunch from the lady at the stand beside the marina office. Her special today was pig tail in yellow peas with rice and salad. Yep – a little piece of pig tail – tasted like ham – in yellow split peas with a bit of dumpling - all for $5 B. Not elegant food, but country food and nourishing … and I probably won’t have it every day.

We decided to take the bus to town to check out where things are – laundromat, market, grocery store. The buses are supposed to go by every half hour but we waited 45 minutes and then gratefully accepted a lift from a van leaving the marina. One of the passengers was from the Port Authority and in answer to his question, we were happy to tell him that yes, we were all checked in and had seen the Port Authority man – Mr Andrews – in San Pedro. The driver dropped us by the bus station in Belize City and we found ourselves immediately in the midst of a gritty, not particularly friendly third world city. It was a bit unnerving.

We knew from the guidebooks that Belize City with a population of around 63,000 is far from being the best tourist destination in Belize. Once the capital, it lost that status after Hurricane Hattie blew through in 1961. (The new capital is Belmopan, 50 miles inland.) It is tough, poor, and … well … gritty is a good word. There is a big Creole population, and Creole, Spanish and English are heard on the streets. Drug use and violence along with the petty crime present in many cities are part of life here, side by side with perfectly respectable and upstanding citizens, shopkeepers, and families just trying to make a living. Many find employment as hosts to the touristos who come here to take tours to the ruins and the reefs. My Lonely Planet Guide reports that upwards of 850,000 cruise ship passengers visit every year.

We took a little wander around the market beside the bus station. Lots of produce, but no vendors calling out to us to buy their wares; no smiles; not anything like the markets we so enjoyed in Cuba. We headed off in search of “downtown” and the famous swing bridge across Haulover Creek, and a bank and whatever else we could find. As we started down one street, thinking we could link up with the one we wanted, our old friend Black Sparrow spotted us and said, “You don’t want to come this way. Turn around and go back down the street to the corner by the market.” Who knew that our meeting in the morning would lead to a “rescue” and friendly direction in the afternoon? Once again, we were recipients of goodness.

Along the water, we took pictures of the fishing sailboats all lined up in the river. These are amazing boats with long booms and tattered sails – and small dories piled on the sides. As many as a dozen men will head out to sea on one of these boats and once at the fishing grounds – usually along the reefs - they will launch the dories and set about the fishing.

A number of men were busily polishing new model SUV’s behind the Supreme Court building and we asked if they belonged to judges and lawyers. Nope – bankers. School children in immaculate white uniforms walked up and down the sidewalks, in sharp contrast to the shabby look of many of the other shoppers. Shapely women in close fitting clothes eyed me as I moved among them, and I belatedly realized I would have been more comfortable in a skirt and a blouse with sleeves than in my shorts and sleeveless top (it wasn’t beach wear, but it wasn’t enough either.) There was never any threat; there were no rude comments; there was no pushing that might make us grab for our bags; there was just some uneasiness.

Along the waterfront, we found the Radisson Hotel and had a very expensive drink at the Baymen’s bar before wandering back through the mostly deserted “tourist village” – it was a non-cruise ship day – and encountering the genial and chatty Edwin who happily sold me a little bird he had carved from horn. We thoroughly enjoyed our encounter with him as we discussed his carvings, the results of the recent election (the incumbents, the UDP – United Democratic party won and he wished they hadn’t) and the difficult life here.

We stopped at a Scotia bank (CIBC is also here) and at Brodie’s - a well stocked grocery store, before making our way back to the market and the bus station. With bags loaded with papayas and pineapples, potatoes and cabbage and peppers, we hopped on a bus ($1.B per person) for the 20 minute ride back out to Old Belize. While I would love to have stayed to watch the opening of the hand cranked swing bridge at 5:30, it would have meant a twilight departure from town, and that was less appealing.

In spite of our new groceries, we went to the restaurant again for dinner – about $24 B for a large plate we could split between us seemed very reasonable. Once again the food was delicious. Excellent hummus, grilled fish, steamed veggies and mashed potatoes. On our way out we talked with Massoun – the manager and learned why the hummus was so good – he’s from Turkey! The restaurant is struggling, and we sure hope it survives. The quality is high around here – in the restaurant, the gift shop, the grounds and beach area, and the marina.



Comments
Vessel Name: Madcap
Vessel Make/Model: Bayfield 36
Hailing Port: Halifax, Nova Scotia
Crew: James D Bissell (Jim) and Elizabeth Lusby (Beth)
About: Beth and Jim have spent several winters sailing southern waters on s/v Madcap. They love Halifax in the summer, but loved to spend the winters exploring warmer places - the Bahamas, Cuba, Mexico, Guatemala, Belize, Honduras.
Extra:
The Madcap crew left Ottawa in 2007 to go sailing in the Bahamas. After a highly successful year, they returned to Canada, settled in Halifax, Nova Scotia, and in the fall of 2009 they left to do it again! Journey #3 (2010/11) took them back to the Bahamas and then on to Cuba for several weeks [...]
Social:
Madcap's Photos - Mad Cap Sailing (Main)
19 Photos
Created 15 May 2017
20 Photos
Created 20 April 2017
62 Photos
Created 30 March 2017
11 Photos
Created 6 April 2016
13 Photos
Created 6 April 2016
5 Photos
Created 6 April 2016
6 Photos
Created 9 March 2016
11 Photos
Created 9 March 2016
23 Photos
Created 25 February 2016
18 Photos
Created 21 February 2016
31 Photos
Created 20 February 2016
4 Photos
Created 20 February 2016
20 Photos
Created 19 February 2016
7 Photos
Created 9 February 2016
51 Photos
Created 24 November 2015
12 Photos
Created 28 October 2015
16 Photos
Created 9 October 2015
24 Photos
Created 3 December 2013
our Oct/Nov 2013 trip to New Zealand
36 Photos
Created 22 November 2013
9 Photos
Created 20 January 2013
Guatemala pics starting Nov 22, 2012
43 Photos
Created 6 December 2012
54 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 8 November 2012
trip to Zion National Park and Bryce Canyon National Park (via Las Vegas)
23 Photos
Created 4 November 2012
20 Photos
Created 1 November 2012
18 Photos
Created 12 February 2012
43 Photos
Created 29 January 2012
62 Photos
Created 19 May 2011
21 Photos
Created 19 May 2011
76 Photos
Created 19 May 2011
8 Photos
Created 19 May 2011