Madcap Sailing

31 December 2018 | Gold River Marina, Nova Scotia, Canada
06 August 2018 | Mahone Bay, Nova Scotia
26 May 2018 | Gold River Marina, Gold River, NS
18 May 2018 | Gold River Marina, Gold River, NS
24 March 2018 | boat in Gold River, NS and crew in Halifax
22 May 2017 | Whittaker Creek, Oriental, NC
15 May 2017 | Boat in Oriental, crew in New Orleans and Nova Scotia
26 April 2017 | Oriental, NC
26 April 2017 | Oriental, NC
20 April 2017 | Ocean Isle Marina, Ocean Beach, NC at Mile 335.6
17 April 2017 | Dewees Creek, near Charleston, NC
14 April 2017 | St Simons Island
12 April 2017 | Fernandina Beach, FL
11 April 2017 | St Augustine, FL
07 April 2017 | Vero Beach, Florida
03 April 2017 | Ft Pierce, FL
30 March 2017 | Ft Pierce, Florida

Crossing the Bar

28 March 2012 | Livingston, Guatemala
Beth / 80's and 90's
We stayed last night at Tres Puntas - tucked behind a little point in Guatemala and ready to officially enter the country the next day.

For the first time in weeks, there was no wind, so we had to motor-sail down from Placencia, but it gave our batteries a nice charge. For a boat with a 6 ft draft (as Madcap has) it is necessary to time the entrance to Livingston to coincide with a high tide. A shallow bar (we have read that it's 5.5 ft at Mean Low Water) crosses the entrance to the harbour. We knew the tide Thursday was at 11:18 (from the tide tables available on line and in book form) and we had a 10 nm run from Tres Puntas. We also figured we wanted to be in there before all the officials went on their lunch break. So we aimed for 10:45.

I'm really glad we staged it this way - arriving in Tres Puntas about 4pm and allowing time to relax and contemplate the next part of our journey. We anchored off a dense, jungly shoreline, with thatched or corrugated tin roofs peeking out here and there. Small fishing boats crisscrossed through the water and we could see families walking along the beach.

Looking across toward Livingston, and the entrance to the Rio gave us pause. We could see the mountains, shrouded in haze, rising up behind, and we knew we were going there. We were amazed at ourselves when we reached Belize, and we are amazed again that we have made it to Guatemala.

We set off about 8:30 toward Livingston and it was a bit of an odd feeling to look across at clear water but know that there was something hidden there that would not allow us to just go straight there whenever we wanted. Kind of a metaphor for life maybe! Even if we are lucky enough to see where we want to go, we sometimes have to wait for the right time to get there.

But I digress ... We made it safely across the bar although the depth sounder showed 0.1 for most of it. We could feel a couple of bumps but the bottom must be soft because we just kept plowing through. I'd never try it any further off high tide, but we know boats with 7 ft draft who have gotten through it! It makes me picture a traffic jam in there next week when there are good morning tides and many of the cruisers start heading back up the Rio.

We anchored off Livingston and called Raul on the VHF. Jim had sent our boat info ahead by email, (raul.morales@servamar.com) so we just waited for him and the officials to arrive at the boat. Five of them piled into the cockpit - Immigration, Customs, the Port Captain, the Doctor's assistant, and Raul himself (pic above). The Immigration lady took down our passport numbers but the others sat there and smiled (and nibbled at some kind of white food in little plastic bags) while Raul explained how much it would cost for 3 months (1200 Quetzales; divide by 7.6 for $US) and that we could show up in his office in 40 minutes to get our passports back and all the official papers. That was it! Not a single question. Not a single locker door opened. No one even went into the cabin. When Raul asked if we had questions, I said, "Si, Que es?" and pointed to the little white bags. They all laughed and Raul said it's a sugar/coconut icy snack - available at stands on the street. I never did get any.

We took down the Q flag, climbed into the dinghy, handed over responsibility for it to the genial Lucio at the dock (tipped him 15 Q later), went up the hill to the bank for some local currency and reported to Raul's office where a group of men, including the Port Captain, were enthusiastically watching the soccer game between Barcelona and Milan. He handed us our papers, gave us a couple of maps of the Rio Dulce, welcomed us again to his country and thanked us for using his services. We asked about getting a Guatemalan sim card for our phone. "No problema! I send my nephew to the store to get one for you." This he did, and two minutes later he installed it, checked to see if it was working, and gave us our new phone number complete with a few free minutes. He divied up the money to the various departments, paid himself a little, gave us official receipts for every penny, and made our life so easy. We highly recommend him. (www.servamar.com)

With the entrance to Guatemala taken care of, we set off through the most spectacular bit of scenery the good ship Madcap has ever been in.
Comments
Vessel Name: Madcap
Vessel Make/Model: Bayfield 36
Hailing Port: Halifax, Nova Scotia
Crew: James D Bissell (Jim) and Elizabeth Lusby (Beth)
About: Beth and Jim have spent several winters sailing southern waters on s/v Madcap. They love Halifax in the summer, but loved to spend the winters exploring warmer places - the Bahamas, Cuba, Mexico, Guatemala, Belize, Honduras.
Extra:
The Madcap crew left Ottawa in 2007 to go sailing in the Bahamas. After a highly successful year, they returned to Canada, settled in Halifax, Nova Scotia, and in the fall of 2009 they left to do it again! Journey #3 (2010/11) took them back to the Bahamas and then on to Cuba for several weeks [...]
Social:
Madcap's Photos - Mad Cap Sailing (Main)
19 Photos
Created 15 May 2017
20 Photos
Created 20 April 2017
62 Photos
Created 30 March 2017
11 Photos
Created 6 April 2016
13 Photos
Created 6 April 2016
5 Photos
Created 6 April 2016
6 Photos
Created 9 March 2016
11 Photos
Created 9 March 2016
23 Photos
Created 25 February 2016
18 Photos
Created 21 February 2016
31 Photos
Created 20 February 2016
4 Photos
Created 20 February 2016
20 Photos
Created 19 February 2016
7 Photos
Created 9 February 2016
51 Photos
Created 24 November 2015
12 Photos
Created 28 October 2015
16 Photos
Created 9 October 2015
24 Photos
Created 3 December 2013
our Oct/Nov 2013 trip to New Zealand
36 Photos
Created 22 November 2013
9 Photos
Created 20 January 2013
Guatemala pics starting Nov 22, 2012
43 Photos
Created 6 December 2012
54 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 8 November 2012
trip to Zion National Park and Bryce Canyon National Park (via Las Vegas)
23 Photos
Created 4 November 2012
20 Photos
Created 1 November 2012
18 Photos
Created 12 February 2012
43 Photos
Created 29 January 2012
62 Photos
Created 19 May 2011
21 Photos
Created 19 May 2011
76 Photos
Created 19 May 2011
8 Photos
Created 19 May 2011