Madcap Sailing

31 December 2018 | Gold River Marina, Nova Scotia, Canada
06 August 2018 | Mahone Bay, Nova Scotia
26 May 2018 | Gold River Marina, Gold River, NS
18 May 2018 | Gold River Marina, Gold River, NS
24 March 2018 | boat in Gold River, NS and crew in Halifax
22 May 2017 | Whittaker Creek, Oriental, NC
15 May 2017 | Boat in Oriental, crew in New Orleans and Nova Scotia
26 April 2017 | Oriental, NC
26 April 2017 | Oriental, NC
20 April 2017 | Ocean Isle Marina, Ocean Beach, NC at Mile 335.6
17 April 2017 | Dewees Creek, near Charleston, NC
14 April 2017 | St Simons Island
12 April 2017 | Fernandina Beach, FL
11 April 2017 | St Augustine, FL
07 April 2017 | Vero Beach, Florida
03 April 2017 | Ft Pierce, FL
30 March 2017 | Ft Pierce, Florida

Ob Board Again

12 November 2012 | Cayo Quemado, Rio Dulce, Guatemala
Beth / 80's daytimes -cool nights - a few showers
We have started the last couple of days with breakfasts of granola, yogurt and heaping plates of watermelon, pineapple and cantaloupe at El Tortugal, eaten shrimp ceviche at noon and tostadas while playing trivial pursuit at night. (Our team – with Aubrey and Judy (Velada) came in second!) By Friday, it was time to go shopping for our own goodies in the markets along the main street of Rio Dulce (also known as Fronteras) so we can load Madcap with the same kind of delicious provisions.

I can remember being a little hesitant about it last spring, but this year it seemed easy to just get right into it. There are many little shops and stands – some carrying the same stock, but the quality varies a bit as does the variety. There is always some young boy or girl happy to bag whatever we point at, and we’ve learned to say hoy or manana to indicate whether we want our papaya or pineapple ready to eat today or tomorrow. With our colourful bags filled with chard and lettuce, tomatoes, cucumber, green peppers, onions and garlic from one shop and papaya, pineapple, canteloupe, mandarins and bananas from another we took a load to the lancha at Bruno’s dock. A trip to the bigger grocery store netted bags of rice and beans (always – rice and beans!), honey, canned milk, eggs, and a couple of packets of soup mix. For meats, cheese and yogurt, we crossed the river to the Casa Guatemala store behind Backpackers restaurant. They used to come around to the marinas a couple of times a week but that has changed and now we go to their store. The little store by Bruno’s carries beer, wine, and North American type products. I found quinoa and rice noodles there, and the nut man near the dock had bags of delicious roasted cashews and almonds, pistachios and candy coated peanuts and roasted lima beans that both of us have taken a liking to. And I always have to purchase warm tortillas from smiling senora who will pull them from under layers of cloth in her basket, or off her griddle right there on the sidewalk.

We got new sim chips for the phone and the TiGo stick (for internet connection) and managed to get triple time on the phone (210 minutes for 70 Q – just under $10) from Eller at the Tigo store where the girls beckon in the young men – and even an older gringo! Eller speaks Engish and will install the chips and add the time so it’s our pick of the internet shops.

With the shopping done, it was time to say good-bye to the folks at Tortugal and head down to Cayo Quemado. We felt almost like locals as we came down river in Casey’s lancha, “Kilgore Trout” on Friday. These local boats are really lovely – sleek and colourful and able to handle lots of cargo – in our case, all our luggage as well as bags and bags of produce and groceries. The fishermen and marinas all use them and we see occasional families, although the women and children are more often moving about in dugout canoes. With our 15 hp outboard it took about an hour and a half to make the trip – against the wind that blew up for a bit, causing the breaking waves to soak us and making us remark that, yes – we really were back to cruising life.

We were delighted to see Madcap in beautiful shape. Casey’s men, Che, Bilo and Nicholas, varnished all the woodwork inside and out over the summer and it just gleams. The decks were spotless and the inside smelled as fresh as the day we left. We left a dehumidifier on, and that along with the boat being open for their work kept it dry and airy. We have new chaps for the dinghy and will investigate solar panels now that we are here. The only casualties of the hot, humid summer were some charts and papers in the chart table at the nav station. It is about the only locker in the whole boat that is un-ventilated and we had forgotten to prop it open. Our clothes, linens, books were in excellent condition.

We’ve spent the days since our arrival here cleaning out lockers and replacing the things we want in them this year, filling water tanks, checking out all the lights and motors and systems. So far, it all looks good. The only difficulty here is the spotty internet connection and rare cell phone coverage. If we could manage to get up at 5 am it is reported to be better, and it improves in the neighbouring bays. We’ll go back up to town on Monday to get a few more supplies, visit the bank and get on the net for a bit. It’s a wonderful feeling to be back on board – to end the days with a light breeze and soft skies as we sit in the cockpit, and to start them with bird songs and brilliant sunshine and hot café con leche.

… and here we are at Bruno’s, connected to the world. We even picked up a couple of hitch-hikers as we passed Gringo Bay. Manfried flagged us down as we went past to see if we had room for passengers. No problema! And so Angela and her little redheaded son, Parker, climbed aboard for the trip. They had been visiting for a few days and were on their way back to Rio Dulce to catch a ride to Antigua where they live and run an Adventure Tour Company. I love this life!!
Comments
Vessel Name: Madcap
Vessel Make/Model: Bayfield 36
Hailing Port: Halifax, Nova Scotia
Crew: James D Bissell (Jim) and Elizabeth Lusby (Beth)
About: Beth and Jim have spent several winters sailing southern waters on s/v Madcap. They love Halifax in the summer, but loved to spend the winters exploring warmer places - the Bahamas, Cuba, Mexico, Guatemala, Belize, Honduras.
Extra:
The Madcap crew left Ottawa in 2007 to go sailing in the Bahamas. After a highly successful year, they returned to Canada, settled in Halifax, Nova Scotia, and in the fall of 2009 they left to do it again! Journey #3 (2010/11) took them back to the Bahamas and then on to Cuba for several weeks [...]
Social:
Madcap's Photos - Mad Cap Sailing (Main)
19 Photos
Created 15 May 2017
20 Photos
Created 20 April 2017
62 Photos
Created 30 March 2017
11 Photos
Created 6 April 2016
13 Photos
Created 6 April 2016
5 Photos
Created 6 April 2016
6 Photos
Created 9 March 2016
11 Photos
Created 9 March 2016
23 Photos
Created 25 February 2016
18 Photos
Created 21 February 2016
31 Photos
Created 20 February 2016
4 Photos
Created 20 February 2016
20 Photos
Created 19 February 2016
7 Photos
Created 9 February 2016
51 Photos
Created 24 November 2015
12 Photos
Created 28 October 2015
16 Photos
Created 9 October 2015
24 Photos
Created 3 December 2013
our Oct/Nov 2013 trip to New Zealand
36 Photos
Created 22 November 2013
9 Photos
Created 20 January 2013
Guatemala pics starting Nov 22, 2012
43 Photos
Created 6 December 2012
54 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 8 November 2012
trip to Zion National Park and Bryce Canyon National Park (via Las Vegas)
23 Photos
Created 4 November 2012
20 Photos
Created 1 November 2012
18 Photos
Created 12 February 2012
43 Photos
Created 29 January 2012
62 Photos
Created 19 May 2011
21 Photos
Created 19 May 2011
76 Photos
Created 19 May 2011
8 Photos
Created 19 May 2011