Madcap Sailing

31 December 2018 | Gold River Marina, Nova Scotia, Canada
06 August 2018 | Mahone Bay, Nova Scotia
26 May 2018 | Gold River Marina, Gold River, NS
18 May 2018 | Gold River Marina, Gold River, NS
24 March 2018 | boat in Gold River, NS and crew in Halifax
22 May 2017 | Whittaker Creek, Oriental, NC
15 May 2017 | Boat in Oriental, crew in New Orleans and Nova Scotia
26 April 2017 | Oriental, NC
26 April 2017 | Oriental, NC
20 April 2017 | Ocean Isle Marina, Ocean Beach, NC at Mile 335.6
17 April 2017 | Dewees Creek, near Charleston, NC
14 April 2017 | St Simons Island
12 April 2017 | Fernandina Beach, FL
11 April 2017 | St Augustine, FL
07 April 2017 | Vero Beach, Florida
03 April 2017 | Ft Pierce, FL
30 March 2017 | Ft Pierce, Florida

More than Boats, Bars and Beds

05 February 2013 | Placencia, Belize
Beth / rain is finally over - 80's and blue sky
After spending a happy few hours listening to music at Yoli’s Bar on Friday, we took a stroll through the streets for a different taste of the town.

Despite the good music and friendly vibe, the increasing level of inebriation among visitors and expats at the bar does get to me after a while, and a walk through quiet streets among local people living regular lives was a relief.

A soccer game was in full swing at the field as parents and friends lined the stands and the grassy edges. The air was fresh and clear and folks walked quietly along the street. Placencia has just a couple of streets –paved, but dusty when dry and a little muddy when wet. We stopped at Tutti Fruitti – that famous gelato stand – for scoops and cones (chili chocolate, crunchy nutella, cappuccino this time) and walked along past the strains of a saxophone drifting down from a second floor eatery, and conversation from other folks doing the same thing as we were. Jim remarked that it all had a similar feeling to small town streets of our youth. Placencia is a friendly place. People aren’t effusive, but they are quick with a hello when we meet on the streets, and even the women with bulging knapsacks of goods for sale speak gently, “Would you like to look at some of my things? I come in from the country and I have baskets and bowls and jewellery.” It’s a change from the strident calls of Guatemala, “Good deal for you!”

There are 20 or so boats in the harbour these days – Keith at Above Grounds says that’s more than usual – and a big community of land visitors. The beautiful beaches facing north are lined with lovely little cottages, and there are numerous inns with rooms for rent. Bars and restaurants dot the dusty main street and the famous mile long sidewalk that wanders under flowering bougainvillea and hibiscus bushes along the northern beach area. We get used to seeing the well-protected harbour, but that wide sandy beach around the corner is as pretty a place as you could find. And in between all that are the houses where people live – lines of laundry drying, fellows polishing cars, children playing. Many of the cement houses are on stilts or with open workshops at ground level, and the living takes place upstairs. The atmosphere is very much more Caribbean and less Central America than what we have been used to in Guatemala, and of course the predominance of English makes it different too.

We spend some internet time each day at either Above Grounds where Keith, Naomi and Lauren pour delicious Guatemalan coffee and fork up banana bread and cinnamon rolls, or at the Paradise Resort where Tracy pours us glass after glass of lime juice and serves tasty chicken quesadillas – both places welcoming to folks with laptops and tablets, and iPads. We’ve had good food at Omar’s and the Pickled Parrot and at the brightly painted tables on the sand at Pirate’s Grill (wonderfully fresh and tasty burritos and fish tacos and enchiladas – and with chocolate cake to top it off!) We lunched one day at Brenda’s picnic table down by the Shell station – now that one is a true “local flavour” experience. And let’s never forget street food! Norman sold us hot and tasty tamales along the beach (I keep trying tamales and rarely enjoy them but these were delicious!) and Guillermo and his abuela (grandmother) plucked crispy pollo (chicken) empanadas from a bucket, topped them with picante minced onions and handed them over on squares of tin foil. Those were so good we had to go back for more.

Superbowl was the event on Sunday, with big screen TV’s, betting pools and beer at bars all around town, and we stayed with the crowd at Yoli’s for most of the game. Jim spent much of Monday on the computer and the phone, taking care of some business, but in the middle of it we enjoyed reconnecting with Doug (Serendipity) whom we met here last year.

Liam has gone up to Caye Caulker for a few days (via bus and water taxi), and now that the squalls have passed we’ll head out to the cayes for some snorkeling and swimming. The current plan is to meet back here on Thursday. See you then!






Comments
Vessel Name: Madcap
Vessel Make/Model: Bayfield 36
Hailing Port: Halifax, Nova Scotia
Crew: James D Bissell (Jim) and Elizabeth Lusby (Beth)
About: Beth and Jim have spent several winters sailing southern waters on s/v Madcap. They love Halifax in the summer, but loved to spend the winters exploring warmer places - the Bahamas, Cuba, Mexico, Guatemala, Belize, Honduras.
Extra:
The Madcap crew left Ottawa in 2007 to go sailing in the Bahamas. After a highly successful year, they returned to Canada, settled in Halifax, Nova Scotia, and in the fall of 2009 they left to do it again! Journey #3 (2010/11) took them back to the Bahamas and then on to Cuba for several weeks [...]
Social:
Madcap's Photos - Mad Cap Sailing (Main)
19 Photos
Created 15 May 2017
20 Photos
Created 20 April 2017
62 Photos
Created 30 March 2017
11 Photos
Created 6 April 2016
13 Photos
Created 6 April 2016
5 Photos
Created 6 April 2016
6 Photos
Created 9 March 2016
11 Photos
Created 9 March 2016
23 Photos
Created 25 February 2016
18 Photos
Created 21 February 2016
31 Photos
Created 20 February 2016
4 Photos
Created 20 February 2016
20 Photos
Created 19 February 2016
7 Photos
Created 9 February 2016
51 Photos
Created 24 November 2015
12 Photos
Created 28 October 2015
16 Photos
Created 9 October 2015
24 Photos
Created 3 December 2013
our Oct/Nov 2013 trip to New Zealand
36 Photos
Created 22 November 2013
9 Photos
Created 20 January 2013
Guatemala pics starting Nov 22, 2012
43 Photos
Created 6 December 2012
54 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 8 November 2012
trip to Zion National Park and Bryce Canyon National Park (via Las Vegas)
23 Photos
Created 4 November 2012
20 Photos
Created 1 November 2012
18 Photos
Created 12 February 2012
43 Photos
Created 29 January 2012
62 Photos
Created 19 May 2011
21 Photos
Created 19 May 2011
76 Photos
Created 19 May 2011
8 Photos
Created 19 May 2011