Madcap Sailing

31 December 2018 | Gold River Marina, Nova Scotia, Canada
06 August 2018 | Mahone Bay, Nova Scotia
26 May 2018 | Gold River Marina, Gold River, NS
18 May 2018 | Gold River Marina, Gold River, NS
24 March 2018 | boat in Gold River, NS and crew in Halifax
22 May 2017 | Whittaker Creek, Oriental, NC
15 May 2017 | Boat in Oriental, crew in New Orleans and Nova Scotia
26 April 2017 | Oriental, NC
26 April 2017 | Oriental, NC
20 April 2017 | Ocean Isle Marina, Ocean Beach, NC at Mile 335.6
17 April 2017 | Dewees Creek, near Charleston, NC
14 April 2017 | St Simons Island
12 April 2017 | Fernandina Beach, FL
11 April 2017 | St Augustine, FL
07 April 2017 | Vero Beach, Florida
03 April 2017 | Ft Pierce, FL
30 March 2017 | Ft Pierce, Florida

Friends, Valentines and a Birthday

16 February 2013 | Bluefield Range, Belize, Central America
Elizabeth Lusby
Friends, Valentines and a Birthday, Bluefield Range, Feb 17, 2013, #34

We left Tobacco Range on Wednesday - after a wonderful surprise conversation with Mary (Strathspey) in the Bahamas on the SSB - headed back for South Water Cay and the possibility of another try for Glover's Reef. We weren't really too surprised to see that the seas were still up, so we settled in at South Water for another day and night, and with the forecast of a norther coming through on Saturday we started debating the wisdom of going over at all.

In the wonderful way that things happen when we simply let them, we got a call on the VHF from Tif Blue, saying they had left Placencia and were on their way in our direction. While the sun was high, Jim and I dinghied over to nearby Carrie Bow Cay to do some snorkeling, and found that it's a good spot. We were somewhat disappointed with the snorkeling at Tobacco Cay so we were happy to see some big, colourful fish here. The coral wasn't as pretty, but the fish were fine. After a couple of stops we headed back to Madcap, only to discover a dinghy headed our way - with Barb, Bob and "the brute" as Bob called our beloved son! We turned around and went back for a third go at the coral heads. There were some lovely stoplight parrotfish, wrasses, angelfish (the grey ones have pretty blue lips) along with the usual but always pretty french grunts and sergeant majors. We spotted a few big sea cucumbers and huge thorny sea urchins, and Barb saw a lobster. I spotted a barracuda hovering a few feet ahead of me and was surprised by a ray gliding by. I love to see the fish staying absolutely still in front of a piece of fan coral or against a chunk of brain coral as if they believe that the big white creature hovering above them can't see them there.

We eventually made our way back to the boats, and enjoyed a pasta dinner as the sun went down. It felt good to start the day by talking with friends in the Bahamas, and end it with friends in Belize.

Even though Thursday would probably have worked to motorsail over to Glover's Reef, and Tif Blue was thinking about Turneffe, we were in "friend mode" and decided to go together to Garbutt Cay to celebrate Valentine's day and Jim's birthday. What a pretty little anchorage it was, too. Tif Blue hardly had the anchor down before Harry came by to welcome them and ask if they wanted lobster. By the time we got there, he was coming back around the corner in his little fiberglass cayuco with lobster tails and conch. This charming man told us about his island - he is Harrison (Harry) Garbutt, the mayor and contact person of this group of cayes - and said we should let him know if we need anything. He feels responsible for our wellbeing. Isn't it nice to run into someone like that? He and Liam went off to check out fishing spots but returned with only a Spanish mackerel they bought from another fisherman (they tossed back a 6 inch barracuda) and some stories. To our dismay, Harry said the frigate mackerel Liam caught and threw back the other day would have been great eating. Next time we'll try it. We paid him a few dollars, a beer and a book and felt we got great value. Apparently many fishermen pay big bucks to come and fish in these flats. We celebrated Jim's birthday with good food and gifts: I found a couple of flowered shirts at the goodwill shop in Placencia (Yes Leila, they are still his trademark!), Liam bought a sack full of lures, and Barb drew a great picture of Madcap. For dinner, Tif Blue contributed garlicky lobster, and cole slaw; I made Cajun rice and a chocolate chip cake, complete with candles that he had to blow out before the wind did, and we all celebrated in fine style. For the first time in many days we had spotty cell phone coverage and were able to make a couple of calls before the frequent dropped connections made us give it up.

By one o'clock on Friday, we were all underway once more. The northwest wind was coming up and we headed for Colson Cay, tacking back and forth through the wide-open Inner Channel and anchoring on the west side. Dinner that night was grilled mackerel with conch salad and rice - oh so good - shared with Tif Blue. Bob and Liam have been having a good time entertaining us with Bob's guitar, and we have enjoyed introducing them to some of our wonderful Canadian musicians. David Myles great song, "When it Comes My Turn" is an all round favourite.

The wind didn't seem too awfully bad that night, but it was enough to dislodge our plow anchor from the grassy bottom and we dragged, held and dragged again shortly after 5 am. Once the sky lightened enough, we moved into the passage between the cays for a bit, but because of the forecast of strong NW winds, we moved on up to Bluefield Range to have better protection. It was a rollicking ride up, with every bit of Madcap (and crew) getting well and truly salty. This is a good all weather anchorage though, and while we strained and thrashed on the anchor, it held well in 28 - 30 kt winds ranging from NW to NE.

Our current "written in sand at low tide" plan is to try for Turneffe Atoll tomorrow (Monday). After a couple of days there we'll head back to Placencia to reprovision, reconnect and check out of Belize. Then we'll try once more for Glover's Reef on the way to Roatan - one of the bay islands off Honduras.

We haven't had internet connections since we left Placencia on Feb 8 and we have just now decided to try making remote blog postings using Jim's sailmail program on SSB. Hope it works! We also hope you haven't worried - we are all doing just fine and are really enjoying exploring these cays along Belize's gorgeous reef.
Comments
Vessel Name: Madcap
Vessel Make/Model: Bayfield 36
Hailing Port: Halifax, Nova Scotia
Crew: James D Bissell (Jim) and Elizabeth Lusby (Beth)
About: Beth and Jim have spent several winters sailing southern waters on s/v Madcap. They love Halifax in the summer, but loved to spend the winters exploring warmer places - the Bahamas, Cuba, Mexico, Guatemala, Belize, Honduras.
Extra:
The Madcap crew left Ottawa in 2007 to go sailing in the Bahamas. After a highly successful year, they returned to Canada, settled in Halifax, Nova Scotia, and in the fall of 2009 they left to do it again! Journey #3 (2010/11) took them back to the Bahamas and then on to Cuba for several weeks [...]
Social:
Madcap's Photos - Mad Cap Sailing (Main)
19 Photos
Created 15 May 2017
20 Photos
Created 20 April 2017
62 Photos
Created 30 March 2017
11 Photos
Created 6 April 2016
13 Photos
Created 6 April 2016
5 Photos
Created 6 April 2016
6 Photos
Created 9 March 2016
11 Photos
Created 9 March 2016
23 Photos
Created 25 February 2016
18 Photos
Created 21 February 2016
31 Photos
Created 20 February 2016
4 Photos
Created 20 February 2016
20 Photos
Created 19 February 2016
7 Photos
Created 9 February 2016
51 Photos
Created 24 November 2015
12 Photos
Created 28 October 2015
16 Photos
Created 9 October 2015
24 Photos
Created 3 December 2013
our Oct/Nov 2013 trip to New Zealand
36 Photos
Created 22 November 2013
9 Photos
Created 20 January 2013
Guatemala pics starting Nov 22, 2012
43 Photos
Created 6 December 2012
54 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 8 November 2012
trip to Zion National Park and Bryce Canyon National Park (via Las Vegas)
23 Photos
Created 4 November 2012
20 Photos
Created 1 November 2012
18 Photos
Created 12 February 2012
43 Photos
Created 29 January 2012
62 Photos
Created 19 May 2011
21 Photos
Created 19 May 2011
76 Photos
Created 19 May 2011
8 Photos
Created 19 May 2011