Madcap Sailing

31 December 2018 | Gold River Marina, Nova Scotia, Canada
06 August 2018 | Mahone Bay, Nova Scotia
26 May 2018 | Gold River Marina, Gold River, NS
18 May 2018 | Gold River Marina, Gold River, NS
24 March 2018 | boat in Gold River, NS and crew in Halifax
22 May 2017 | Whittaker Creek, Oriental, NC
15 May 2017 | Boat in Oriental, crew in New Orleans and Nova Scotia
26 April 2017 | Oriental, NC
26 April 2017 | Oriental, NC
20 April 2017 | Ocean Isle Marina, Ocean Beach, NC at Mile 335.6
17 April 2017 | Dewees Creek, near Charleston, NC
14 April 2017 | St Simons Island
12 April 2017 | Fernandina Beach, FL
11 April 2017 | St Augustine, FL
07 April 2017 | Vero Beach, Florida
03 April 2017 | Ft Pierce, FL
30 March 2017 | Ft Pierce, Florida

But It's Not Friday the 13th Yet!

13 March 2015 | North Long Cocoa Cay, Belize
Beth / bathing suit and flippers
We left Blue Ground Range determined to sail somewhere, and we didn’t want to just go back down the big channel to Placencia. So we said to each other, “Hey! Let’s give North Long Cocoa another try.” We could take a new route; we could do some more snorkeling; it’s an east wind; what could go wrong?

It was a truly lovely trip – a gentle sail – some navigation to figure out – a beautiful day. We got to within a quarter mile of the cay before we had to furl the staysail, drop the mainsail and motor in. We dropped the anchor when we were in 11 ft of water over sand - NOT where we were when we dragged last time and not too close to any hazards we could see. Jim swam over the anchor. It was lying on its side. He dove down and held it upright while I backed on it. It dug in a little bit more – enough that we felt OK about going snorkeling.

We swam over to the coral heads and explored around for an hour although the sun wasn’t as high and the visibility wasn’t ideal. But I had the funniest experience - a tiny little fish decided to adopt me. He first swam right in front of my mask, startling me – and then just stayed. As I hovered around a coral head, I wondered if he was warning me off, but he seemed pretty small for that. He was about 3 inches, silvery with yellow pectoral fins and yellow tail. As I left to head back, he stayed most of the time in my right armpit! I’d peek sideways to see where he was, and he would come around in front. He’d disappear – I’d roll over to find him – and there he would be. He stayed all the way until I reached the ladder and climbed aboard, with me giggling through my snorkel. I don’t know what he was, but he sure provided the comic relief before the next events of the day.

On the swim back to the boat, we each came to the conclusion that if the wind turned north, we were too close to a shallow area on our starboard side. We contemplated re-anchoring farther to port. The complicating factor in this was that the windlass had quit while we anchored the first time. So that meant pulling up 80 feet of chain by hand. While we sat there discussing it, Mother Nature got involved. The wind came up and we dragged back! Fortunately it was still daylight and there was nothing behind us, and we dragged far enough back that we were past that shallow bit. Great!

We waited a bit and then the expert anchor diver swam over it to make sure it had caught. But just then we dragged again. He could see the anchor sliding along the bottom, so he dove down and set it upright and it dug in nicely. Thank goodness! We’ve decided that there is a deeper layer of sand over hard ground farther out from shore so although there is more fetch in a wind, the holding is better. We let out more chain to allow better scope for our new deeper depth and managed to have a decent night’s sleep. Well, I did. But I think Jim fretted all night about having to pull up all that chain by hand. What if the wind was blowing hard? And what was he going to do about that windlass? Would we be able to get it fixed in Placencia? Would we need to go straight back to the Rio?

In the morning, (really Friday the 13th) Jim offered to stay long enough for one more snorkel excursion since this might now be my last chance. We both had a wonderful hour in the water. He saw a porcupine fish out in the open and was able to confirm that is what he saw in the coral head at Carrie Bow. I spotted a bottom fish – I think it was a sand diver – that blended in so well with the sand that I would never have noticed it if it hadn’t moved while I was watching some others.

When it came time to leave, the wind wasn’t too strong, and we were able to keep enough forward momentum so Jim didn’t have to work too hard on the anchor. Point 1 for the day! We successfully negotiated the route south of Cary Cay and out to the main channel for a delightful sail all the way to Placencia. Point 2! And we were able to anchor in the corner of Placencia harbour where we won’t get too much swell around the corner if the wind comes up – which it probably will. Point 3!

One of these seasons we will go back to North Long Cocoa because it really is a lovely spot with a bit of a beach, two palapas for picnics, and fine snorkeling, but I think we are done with it for this year –Friday the 13th or Thursday the 12th or whatever day it is.

Comments
Vessel Name: Madcap
Vessel Make/Model: Bayfield 36
Hailing Port: Halifax, Nova Scotia
Crew: James D Bissell (Jim) and Elizabeth Lusby (Beth)
About: Beth and Jim have spent several winters sailing southern waters on s/v Madcap. They love Halifax in the summer, but loved to spend the winters exploring warmer places - the Bahamas, Cuba, Mexico, Guatemala, Belize, Honduras.
Extra:
The Madcap crew left Ottawa in 2007 to go sailing in the Bahamas. After a highly successful year, they returned to Canada, settled in Halifax, Nova Scotia, and in the fall of 2009 they left to do it again! Journey #3 (2010/11) took them back to the Bahamas and then on to Cuba for several weeks [...]
Social:
Madcap's Photos - Mad Cap Sailing (Main)
19 Photos
Created 15 May 2017
20 Photos
Created 20 April 2017
62 Photos
Created 30 March 2017
11 Photos
Created 6 April 2016
13 Photos
Created 6 April 2016
5 Photos
Created 6 April 2016
6 Photos
Created 9 March 2016
11 Photos
Created 9 March 2016
23 Photos
Created 25 February 2016
18 Photos
Created 21 February 2016
31 Photos
Created 20 February 2016
4 Photos
Created 20 February 2016
20 Photos
Created 19 February 2016
7 Photos
Created 9 February 2016
51 Photos
Created 24 November 2015
12 Photos
Created 28 October 2015
16 Photos
Created 9 October 2015
24 Photos
Created 3 December 2013
our Oct/Nov 2013 trip to New Zealand
36 Photos
Created 22 November 2013
9 Photos
Created 20 January 2013
Guatemala pics starting Nov 22, 2012
43 Photos
Created 6 December 2012
54 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 8 November 2012
trip to Zion National Park and Bryce Canyon National Park (via Las Vegas)
23 Photos
Created 4 November 2012
20 Photos
Created 1 November 2012
18 Photos
Created 12 February 2012
43 Photos
Created 29 January 2012
62 Photos
Created 19 May 2011
21 Photos
Created 19 May 2011
76 Photos
Created 19 May 2011
8 Photos
Created 19 May 2011