Madcap Sailing

31 December 2018 | Gold River Marina, Nova Scotia, Canada
06 August 2018 | Mahone Bay, Nova Scotia
26 May 2018 | Gold River Marina, Gold River, NS
18 May 2018 | Gold River Marina, Gold River, NS
24 March 2018 | boat in Gold River, NS and crew in Halifax
22 May 2017 | Whittaker Creek, Oriental, NC
15 May 2017 | Boat in Oriental, crew in New Orleans and Nova Scotia
26 April 2017 | Oriental, NC
26 April 2017 | Oriental, NC
20 April 2017 | Ocean Isle Marina, Ocean Beach, NC at Mile 335.6
17 April 2017 | Dewees Creek, near Charleston, NC
14 April 2017 | St Simons Island
12 April 2017 | Fernandina Beach, FL
11 April 2017 | St Augustine, FL
07 April 2017 | Vero Beach, Florida
03 April 2017 | Ft Pierce, FL
30 March 2017 | Ft Pierce, Florida

Fun Times Down River

28 March 2015 | Cayo Quemado, Rio Dulce, Guatemala
Beth / hot, showery but happy
What a lovely neighbourhood to come back to. Casey went right to work repairing our bowsprit, I washed 3 loads of salty laundry and managed to get them all dry on the line – because we are, after all, back in the land of rain showers – and in between, we visited friends old and new.

We jumped out of the dinghy for a swim on our way to Martin’s house, and Doris and Stan came roaring out in their lancha to see if we needed help. How’s that for watchful kindness? After cooling down in the clean, sweet water, we enjoyed a reunion visit with Martin and Karen, before continuing on for the same thing with Jennifer.

We borrowed Casey’s lancha, “Theodore Sturgeon” for a run up to Fronteras for banking, groceries, internet, and for Jim to have a massage with Blanca. The streets were more crowded than I have ever seen them (and that’s saying something!) The restaurant at Backpackers was blocked off with police tape and a guard was posted. Apparently a couple of Guatemalans had a disagreement and someone got shot. But the visit to Tortugal was a happy one. Somehow, a morning in town stretched to a whole day in town and after all the necessary stops it was late afternoon before we made a wet and bouncy trip back down the river. The wind usually comes up in the afternoon and it’s a good idea to time the return earlier, but we hugged the northern shoreline and eventually pulled into the bay.

Friday night was party night. Casey invited the whole neighbourhood (and then some). He went to town to pick up Keith the Plumber; Becky and I cooked all afternoon – chicken and potatoes, quinoa/veggie salad, Greek salad, Becky’s home made bread, garlic and avocado sauces. We spread sheets on the worktables and laid out all the plates and cutlery we could find in our combined kitchens; Jim loaded the fridge with beer, and then it was party time. As neighbours came bearing plates of goodies – smoked fish, pizza bread, devilled eggs, sausages, quiche, puddings and cakes and fruit, visitors Sunny and Jerry and Alan brought guitars and harmonicas and musical talent. We dined and drank and sang and it was a fine party.

Late one afternoon, Becky, Casey, Jim and I went out for a leisurely sail on Retriever. We sailed off the dock, across the river, around Gringo Bay and back onto the dock – all in light winds and without a motor. It was the first time we’d been on Retriever and as we drifted along, I marveled at the knowledge that Casey built and sailed this very same boat all over the world. There are stories in its timbers.

Because we opted to stay down river during Semana Santa, we were spared the raucous times up in Fronteras where wealthy Guatemalans spend the week at their river homes, speeding up and down the river on their fancy toys, playing loud music, and adding to the noise of traffic on the bridge. Instead, we enjoyed the relative quiet of this little neighbourhood. I picked up a couple of excellent books from the library at Burnt Key Marina in Texan Bay. Tom the Sailmaker recommended them as “F-ing good books” and they were! “Driving Mr. Albert” by Michael Paterniti told the story of a cross country trip with the pathologist who had kept custody Albert Einstein’s brain for forty years (and with the brain in the trunk!). “Stiff” by Mary Roach was all about cadavers and how they are used now and historically. Great information supplied with a wry sense of humour.

I joined friends in the yoga shala in Jennifer’s garden twice a week. It still feels as magnificent as ever to breathe into the poses and the stillness in this beautiful place – with birds chirping, breezes blowing, light filtering through the trees and flowers, and the dog and cat waiting on the edges for their after-yoga snuggles. The little scorpions Jennifer shook out of the woven mats were not quite as welcome! (This picture shows a bit of the scene as the session finished up one day.)

And we discovered that Becky is an excellent massage therapist! Jim and I both took full advantage of the luxury of massages right in the casita here at Casey’s place. And just to mix it up a bit from relaxing yoga and massage, we also joined an enthusiastic crowd of dancing students for salsa lessons from Karen! She said we managed to keep our feet and hips moving in time to the music – and it felt great to dance and laugh with each other and the various partners we traded with.

With the bowsprit repaired and varnishing done, we moved off the dock and over to Buenavista (aka Gringo) Bay for a few lovely days at anchor. John and Angie (Angela G) were anchored there as well and we enjoyed having them as well as Martin and Karen aboard for dinner. It was good fun with Angie’s guacamole to start with, and Karen’s banana/carrot cake to finish, and my chicken curry in between. It occurred to me that serving a curry to four Brits was a bit of a Madcap thing to do, but it seemed to meet with approval even with Martin’s comment that this must be the only place on the Rio to serve curried guisquil (it is known in some places as chayote, and is a green pear-shaped fruit that we use as we would a summer squash.) I just threw whatever I had into the pot!

Our days have been full and our nights quiet under the full moon and brilliant stars.
Comments
Vessel Name: Madcap
Vessel Make/Model: Bayfield 36
Hailing Port: Halifax, Nova Scotia
Crew: James D Bissell (Jim) and Elizabeth Lusby (Beth)
About: Beth and Jim have spent several winters sailing southern waters on s/v Madcap. They love Halifax in the summer, but loved to spend the winters exploring warmer places - the Bahamas, Cuba, Mexico, Guatemala, Belize, Honduras.
Extra:
The Madcap crew left Ottawa in 2007 to go sailing in the Bahamas. After a highly successful year, they returned to Canada, settled in Halifax, Nova Scotia, and in the fall of 2009 they left to do it again! Journey #3 (2010/11) took them back to the Bahamas and then on to Cuba for several weeks [...]
Social:
Madcap's Photos - Mad Cap Sailing (Main)
19 Photos
Created 15 May 2017
20 Photos
Created 20 April 2017
62 Photos
Created 30 March 2017
11 Photos
Created 6 April 2016
13 Photos
Created 6 April 2016
5 Photos
Created 6 April 2016
6 Photos
Created 9 March 2016
11 Photos
Created 9 March 2016
23 Photos
Created 25 February 2016
18 Photos
Created 21 February 2016
31 Photos
Created 20 February 2016
4 Photos
Created 20 February 2016
20 Photos
Created 19 February 2016
7 Photos
Created 9 February 2016
51 Photos
Created 24 November 2015
12 Photos
Created 28 October 2015
16 Photos
Created 9 October 2015
24 Photos
Created 3 December 2013
our Oct/Nov 2013 trip to New Zealand
36 Photos
Created 22 November 2013
9 Photos
Created 20 January 2013
Guatemala pics starting Nov 22, 2012
43 Photos
Created 6 December 2012
54 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 8 November 2012
trip to Zion National Park and Bryce Canyon National Park (via Las Vegas)
23 Photos
Created 4 November 2012
20 Photos
Created 1 November 2012
18 Photos
Created 12 February 2012
43 Photos
Created 29 January 2012
62 Photos
Created 19 May 2011
21 Photos
Created 19 May 2011
76 Photos
Created 19 May 2011
8 Photos
Created 19 May 2011