Madcap Sailing

31 December 2018 | Gold River Marina, Nova Scotia, Canada
06 August 2018 | Mahone Bay, Nova Scotia
26 May 2018 | Gold River Marina, Gold River, NS
18 May 2018 | Gold River Marina, Gold River, NS
24 March 2018 | boat in Gold River, NS and crew in Halifax
22 May 2017 | Whittaker Creek, Oriental, NC
15 May 2017 | Boat in Oriental, crew in New Orleans and Nova Scotia
26 April 2017 | Oriental, NC
26 April 2017 | Oriental, NC
20 April 2017 | Ocean Isle Marina, Ocean Beach, NC at Mile 335.6
17 April 2017 | Dewees Creek, near Charleston, NC
14 April 2017 | St Simons Island
12 April 2017 | Fernandina Beach, FL
11 April 2017 | St Augustine, FL
07 April 2017 | Vero Beach, Florida
03 April 2017 | Ft Pierce, FL
30 March 2017 | Ft Pierce, Florida

Always Worth a Visit

14 April 2015 | crew in Antigua, Guatemala, boat in Rio Dulce
Beth / shirtsleeve days and fleece evenings
In one of those small world experiences, we chatted with Diane and Dale at the mid-trip bus stop on our way to Antigua. They had been visiting with Marilyn and Glen on the catamaran docked next to us, and when they told us they live in New Zealand, we said, “Our son lives in Wellington and works at Gordon’s outdoor store.” “Well I bet he sold me my sunglasses!” said Diane. Wouldn’t that be cool if it really was Liam?

We have stayed at a number of different Antigua hotels, but I think we have found our Antigua “home base” now. Two different friends recommended Las Camellias Inn on 3a Calle Oriente, and we wholeheartedly agree. It is mid-range, just a few blocks from the central square, spotlessly clean and pretty. So many of the Antigua hotels have lovely courtyards and this one is no exception. Breakfast is an extra $5. US and is well worth it.

We have spent quite a bit of time in Antigua now, so we didn’t feel pressured to fill our days with exploring ruinas and striding along the cobbled streets. Instead, we sat in the leafy park watching families visit and children play and women in their colourful dress sell scarves and textiles. We drank excellent coffee as we watched locals and visitors crisscross the streets – and that is how we came to meet up with Angie and John (Angela G). Fortunately, they weren’t in a hurry to be anywhere either so we followed them down the street and up the stairs to the gorgeous little terrace above the gardens at La Posada de Don Rodrigo. It is a wonderful new find for us and we spent a delightful hour with them recapping the sailing season before they go back to England and we go back to Canada.

The next day as we walked in the square once more, I looked at a gentleman on a bench and exclaimed, “Doug!” at the same time he said, “Beth!” We knew Doug (formerly on Serendipity) was in town but we weren’t really expecting to see him so it was a lovely surprise – that continued when we saw Nancy (my yoga teacher last year) come around the corner. It’s a funny thing when we are more apt to see friends in the square in Antigua, Guatemala than we are in Halifax, Nova Scotia!

Our friend, Lori, knows where to find music in town so we met her for drinks at La Taverna and moved on to Travel Menu where Zed was playing beautiful jazz guitar. We loved catching up on Lori’s news over good food in a lively bar.

On our last day, we joined Kathy and Brian (Tundra) for a trip to Cello San Cristobal – for lunch on the terrace of their organic gardens high above the town. That turned out to be a little more of a mixed experience than we had planned. While all the reports of the place were glowing - free shuttle from N’im Pot in town up the winding road to the top of the hill, delicious food, beautiful views, opportunity to stroll through the lovely veggie gardens – the fact that we had to wait 2 full hours past the time we had expected to return, for a bus to come pick us up put a real damper on the day. It was even more frustrating because no one gave us any information for the delay for the longest time, and then when we were told there had been an accident and a new bus would come, it was a series of “Quinze minutos” (15 minutes) again and again. This became a problem for us, because we had arranged for Senor Soto, our cab driver, to pick us up at the hotel, and we were still on the hill with the sun going down when we were supposed to be meeting him for our ride back to Guatemala City. The lack of any particular concern about the delay left a bad feeling with us, and we won’t be going back in a hurry. I won’t say never, although I would pick a clear day when the visibility is good, have only salad for lunch, and call my own cab if I had to wait more than 20 minutes. As it was, Senor Soto was very gracious about having to wait for us (and very appreciative of the extra 100 Q we paid him.)

Back at Villa Toscana in the city, we repacked our bags, weighed them and fell into bed. The 5 am wakeup came early, but all the flights were on time (We were routed through Miami and Philadelphia on the way to Halifax) and our luggage arrived intact with us.

It never did feel like we were ready to come home but the stopover in Antigua certainly helped us make the transition between hot, humid weather on the Rio and chilly spring air in Nova Scotia, between boat life and land life. And now that we are here, it feels good.
Comments
Vessel Name: Madcap
Vessel Make/Model: Bayfield 36
Hailing Port: Halifax, Nova Scotia
Crew: James D Bissell (Jim) and Elizabeth Lusby (Beth)
About: Beth and Jim have spent several winters sailing southern waters on s/v Madcap. They love Halifax in the summer, but loved to spend the winters exploring warmer places - the Bahamas, Cuba, Mexico, Guatemala, Belize, Honduras.
Extra:
The Madcap crew left Ottawa in 2007 to go sailing in the Bahamas. After a highly successful year, they returned to Canada, settled in Halifax, Nova Scotia, and in the fall of 2009 they left to do it again! Journey #3 (2010/11) took them back to the Bahamas and then on to Cuba for several weeks [...]
Social:
Madcap's Photos - Mad Cap Sailing (Main)
19 Photos
Created 15 May 2017
20 Photos
Created 20 April 2017
62 Photos
Created 30 March 2017
11 Photos
Created 6 April 2016
13 Photos
Created 6 April 2016
5 Photos
Created 6 April 2016
6 Photos
Created 9 March 2016
11 Photos
Created 9 March 2016
23 Photos
Created 25 February 2016
18 Photos
Created 21 February 2016
31 Photos
Created 20 February 2016
4 Photos
Created 20 February 2016
20 Photos
Created 19 February 2016
7 Photos
Created 9 February 2016
51 Photos
Created 24 November 2015
12 Photos
Created 28 October 2015
16 Photos
Created 9 October 2015
24 Photos
Created 3 December 2013
our Oct/Nov 2013 trip to New Zealand
36 Photos
Created 22 November 2013
9 Photos
Created 20 January 2013
Guatemala pics starting Nov 22, 2012
43 Photos
Created 6 December 2012
54 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 8 November 2012
trip to Zion National Park and Bryce Canyon National Park (via Las Vegas)
23 Photos
Created 4 November 2012
20 Photos
Created 1 November 2012
18 Photos
Created 12 February 2012
43 Photos
Created 29 January 2012
62 Photos
Created 19 May 2011
21 Photos
Created 19 May 2011
76 Photos
Created 19 May 2011
8 Photos
Created 19 May 2011