Madcap Sailing

31 December 2018 | Gold River Marina, Nova Scotia, Canada
06 August 2018 | Mahone Bay, Nova Scotia
26 May 2018 | Gold River Marina, Gold River, NS
18 May 2018 | Gold River Marina, Gold River, NS
24 March 2018 | boat in Gold River, NS and crew in Halifax
22 May 2017 | Whittaker Creek, Oriental, NC
15 May 2017 | Boat in Oriental, crew in New Orleans and Nova Scotia
26 April 2017 | Oriental, NC
26 April 2017 | Oriental, NC
20 April 2017 | Ocean Isle Marina, Ocean Beach, NC at Mile 335.6
17 April 2017 | Dewees Creek, near Charleston, NC
14 April 2017 | St Simons Island
12 April 2017 | Fernandina Beach, FL
11 April 2017 | St Augustine, FL
07 April 2017 | Vero Beach, Florida
03 April 2017 | Ft Pierce, FL
30 March 2017 | Ft Pierce, Florida

The Further Trials and Tribulations of Boat Prep

28 November 2015 | Tortugal Marina, Rio Dulce, Guatemala
Beth/ some beautiful sunny breaks
Some things are better, some things are the same, and some new “issues” have been found. This boat readiness business goes on and on.

Chris tried every trick in his repertoire to fix our fridge, to no avail. He believes the expansion valve to be the problem and we have to order in the part from SeaFrost in New Hampshire. By the time he finished on Friday, after trying a used one he had in his box of spares, it was too late to get the order in, so we have to wait till Monday, and then wait for at least another week for it to get here. But you know, boats have been going without refrigeration for years, and we will be an ice-box boat for a while. It is not a big deal – just a nuisance.

The fellow who is rebuilding Cordelia’s engine will come by next week to have a look at our Yanmar diesel engine. It hasn’t been professionally serviced for about 5 years and Jim is getting nervous about it. (He, of course, does regular oil changes and general inspections.) Ronnie, who is doing canvas work for Toriba and Ten Years After, will come by to have a look at our really disgusting cockpit cushions and take measurements for recovering them. And Zee, a local marine handyman is coming to give us a hand with a few other projects.

When we attempted to bend on the sails this week, we got 2 of the 3 on without incident (other than trying to do it between rain showers and wind gusts), but there is a problem with the Yankee – our big foresail. It went up just fine, but when we attempted to furl it in, it twisted at the top and got stuck. After three attempts of dropping and rehoisting it, making sure all swivels would swivel, and no lines were twisted, we had to admit defeat. There is some problem at the top that will have to be fixed – and that has to wait for another day. At least we have some room in the salon now with the sailbags out from underfoot.

The other gumbly things that have happened are about me. I got bitten twice last week by tabaneaus – those big yellowish brown deerfly-type flies that actually take a chomp right out of your skin. And then I had the misfortune to get another bite on my foot the very same day I stepped (with the same foot) in a patch of fire ants. Now that is an unfortunate situation! My foot and ankle have been badly swollen from the tabaneau bite, the fire ant bites have blistered up, and my whole foot is SO itchy! Those are truly horrible little things and they bite before you even know they are there – and they itch for days and days and days. By applying a series of remedies: baking soda paste, anti-itch cream, (with the occasional dab of antibiotic cream just for good measure) and lime juice, I have managed to calm the itching a little, but my foot is still swollen, and I am trying not to be too cranky about it!

As for Jim, other than going a little pale at the money he is spending on fixing things, he is in fine shape! Neither the tabaneaus nor the fire ants seem to be attracted to him; a massage from Blanca last week fixed his stiff shoulder and neck, and soothed his aches and pains.

Despite my moaning, our life is good here. Our friends Becky and Casey came up from Cayo Quemado to see us, and we will see Jennifer soon. Our neighbour, Yvette, from Halifax will be here for a few days next week and we are excited to introduce her to our life as boaters. I looked up last years log and discovered that I moaned quite a bit at the beginning of that season too – so this is nothing new – just a few different moans.

The local folks really do have things to moan about – and my own grumbles are superficial in comparison. The river is still very high. Many of the boardwalks here at Tortugal are underwater. The water is up nearly to the docks, although most of them are still ok. Several of the stores in the area have had to close, or else their patrons must wade through several inches of water as they shop. Some restaurants are closed and others have only partial areas open. Even if they don’t suffer ongoing damage, it is hard on them to lose income at this time of the year when the seasonal visitors are coming back. The villages where many of the workers live have experienced ongoing flooding. So many of the houses are built right along the water’s edge, and every rise of an inch or two, or wake from a passing boat washes right into their homes. We are all hoping the water level has reached a peak and will start to fall next week. The forecast is for a few rainless days.

I have put some pictures in the gallery – find the link at the right of the page, near the top. The picture above is of a large bed of hyacinths that came floating down the river and caught up at the dock until the guys pushed it back out.
Comments
Vessel Name: Madcap
Vessel Make/Model: Bayfield 36
Hailing Port: Halifax, Nova Scotia
Crew: James D Bissell (Jim) and Elizabeth Lusby (Beth)
About: Beth and Jim have spent several winters sailing southern waters on s/v Madcap. They love Halifax in the summer, but loved to spend the winters exploring warmer places - the Bahamas, Cuba, Mexico, Guatemala, Belize, Honduras.
Extra:
The Madcap crew left Ottawa in 2007 to go sailing in the Bahamas. After a highly successful year, they returned to Canada, settled in Halifax, Nova Scotia, and in the fall of 2009 they left to do it again! Journey #3 (2010/11) took them back to the Bahamas and then on to Cuba for several weeks [...]
Social:
Madcap's Photos - Mad Cap Sailing (Main)
19 Photos
Created 15 May 2017
20 Photos
Created 20 April 2017
62 Photos
Created 30 March 2017
11 Photos
Created 6 April 2016
13 Photos
Created 6 April 2016
5 Photos
Created 6 April 2016
6 Photos
Created 9 March 2016
11 Photos
Created 9 March 2016
23 Photos
Created 25 February 2016
18 Photos
Created 21 February 2016
31 Photos
Created 20 February 2016
4 Photos
Created 20 February 2016
20 Photos
Created 19 February 2016
7 Photos
Created 9 February 2016
51 Photos
Created 24 November 2015
12 Photos
Created 28 October 2015
16 Photos
Created 9 October 2015
24 Photos
Created 3 December 2013
our Oct/Nov 2013 trip to New Zealand
36 Photos
Created 22 November 2013
9 Photos
Created 20 January 2013
Guatemala pics starting Nov 22, 2012
43 Photos
Created 6 December 2012
54 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 8 November 2012
trip to Zion National Park and Bryce Canyon National Park (via Las Vegas)
23 Photos
Created 4 November 2012
20 Photos
Created 1 November 2012
18 Photos
Created 12 February 2012
43 Photos
Created 29 January 2012
62 Photos
Created 19 May 2011
21 Photos
Created 19 May 2011
76 Photos
Created 19 May 2011
8 Photos
Created 19 May 2011