Madcap Sailing

31 December 2018 | Gold River Marina, Nova Scotia, Canada
06 August 2018 | Mahone Bay, Nova Scotia
26 May 2018 | Gold River Marina, Gold River, NS
18 May 2018 | Gold River Marina, Gold River, NS
24 March 2018 | boat in Gold River, NS and crew in Halifax
22 May 2017 | Whittaker Creek, Oriental, NC
15 May 2017 | Boat in Oriental, crew in New Orleans and Nova Scotia
26 April 2017 | Oriental, NC
26 April 2017 | Oriental, NC
20 April 2017 | Ocean Isle Marina, Ocean Beach, NC at Mile 335.6
17 April 2017 | Dewees Creek, near Charleston, NC
14 April 2017 | St Simons Island
12 April 2017 | Fernandina Beach, FL
11 April 2017 | St Augustine, FL
07 April 2017 | Vero Beach, Florida
03 April 2017 | Ft Pierce, FL
30 March 2017 | Ft Pierce, Florida

A Week of Fun in the Sun

04 December 2015 | Tortugal Marina, Rio Dulce, Guatemala
Beth /mostly sunny, high 20's
Our Halifax neighbour, Yvette, joined us for 4 days and we got such pleasure from introducing her to life in Rio Dulce. Unfortunately, Madcap was not ship shape enough to have her onboard for more than a happy hour, but Tortugal has lovely rooms, swimming off the dock, lots of comfy places to sit, and a fine restaurant so while we slept in our "cubby-hole" as Yvette called it, she enjoyed the comforts of the hotel. (To be fair, boaters enjoy all the facilities of the hotel as well.)

We were able to introduce her to the high life right away, since we discovered that there is a music jam at Sundog every Monday night. After dinner - really good fish tacos - we piled into the Tortugal lancha with Dave and Ellen (Cordelia), Jerry and Debarah (Czech & Mate), Dave and Linda, (Northern D Light) and headed to town. Our pal Dave Betts (Cordelia) entertained the jam-packed place with some of his tunes, and we enjoyed people watching as some of the other musicians did their thing. As in many such sessions, the quality of the music varied from fine to not-so-fine. Sometimes magic happens in those sessions; sometimes it is just people having fun. Either way it was a first night filled with fun and laughter for us all.

Yvette is an old hand at visiting Guatemala so our shopping trip to town didn't faze her - the ducking in and out and around trucks and cars as we avoided mudpuddles, street food vendors, and clusters of other shoppers. Despite a heavy rain shower, we also managed to avoid getting drenched as we checked out plumbing valves at the concrete mall, bought a cake at the upscale bakery, got cash from the ATM - where you step inside the booth and lock the door, and mandarins from a tiny old lady along the street. And the water level has gone down enough that we didn't get our feet wet on Bruno's dock either!

On that afternoon, and the next, when we took the dinghy to the Castillo at San Felipe, Jim was busy with boat projects. I must admit to a tingle of pride that we didn't need to rely on him to ferry us around. I love being able to take the dinghy wherever and whenever I want to go, and Jim appreciates it too. And it was fun to say to our friend whenever she asked how to get somewhere, "We take a boat!"

The Castillo is a lovely place to spend an hour or two of exploring. It costs nothing to leave the dinghy (we beached it beside the dock - which appears to be reserved for commercial lanchas), 20Q entrance to the park. Several families were picnicking on the grounds, and a friendly but not pushy guide told us we were welcome to wander around the fort on our own, or we could hire him. It is a small fortress and we had an information sheet so we were happy to wander. It was interesting though to learn from him that he has lived in Calgary for the last 10 years and is just back here for a few months because it is cold there!

In the evening, a whole gang of us went to Mar Marine for the evening movie - The 33 - about the 33 Chilean miners who were trapped underground a few years ago. It's too bad their sound system wasn't working well because while we could see just fine, we could hardly hear a word of the dialogue. It looked like it would be worth watching again. And Yvette said, "What a bunch of polite people!" because after several of us said we couldn't hear, and the response came that this was the best they could do, we all sat there nicely and watched anyway! I hear that the system is fixed now - and the ground floor isn't flooded any more, so movies can be shown back where they used to be.

We've been wanting to get down to Cayo Quemado to see Jennifer and other friends there, and we wanted to introduce Yvette to "our neighbourhood" so we rented a lancha for a day - a bit of a splurge at 500Q plus fuel - but worth it because our time was our own. And what a lovely time we had! Coffee and apple crisp on Jennifer's flower filled porch, a stroll through her garden, and a cruise through Gringo (aka Buenavista) Bay to see our favourite anchoring spot. We stopped at Casey's dock to see where Madcap used to be berthed during other off-seasons, and then took a spin through Texan Bay before heading down through the gorge to Livingston.

There weren't many birds around the gorge, but the sheer height and greenness of it never fails to delight us. The few Cayucos slipping silently along the edges were dwarfed by the cliffs that rose above them as their owners fished with hand lines in the shadowy waters. Yvette came up with the apt description of one section of greenery - a Kale forest - and indeed it did look like enormous bunches of kale reaching upward.

In Livingston, we had a quick chat with Raul and then headed off to find Tilingo Lingo restaurant - up the hill and down the hill toward the beach on the ocean side - but it was all closed up and gone. Back up the hill again, we stopped at Bahia Azul for shrimp, rice and beans and salad. I wouldn't go there again because our shrimp was a little soft - just as well probably, that we didn't spring for Tapado. We might have been disappointed. While the wait was long - longer than one would think for sautéed shrimp - we had a lively and enjoyable conversation with Paulo - a local Garifuna "character" who likes to educate visitors on his culture and his people - in return for a few quetzales. He is an articulate and informed man (and a fine musician too, apparently) and we don't mind spending a little time and a couple of dollars with him.

And then our time was up. We retrieved our fancy lancha (seats with backs and a roof over our heads!) at the dock and roared up the river again to Rio Dulce - about 1 hour and 45 minutes - passing the fishermen casting their nets in graceful circles,

After all that fresh air and sunshine, we opted for a light dinner of shrimp ceviche, accompanied as always by lively conversation among the cruisers here. It was so lovely to see how they embraced Yvette into their midst, and how a neighbour from home was so comfortable in our neighbourhood here.
Comments
Vessel Name: Madcap
Vessel Make/Model: Bayfield 36
Hailing Port: Halifax, Nova Scotia
Crew: James D Bissell (Jim) and Elizabeth Lusby (Beth)
About: Beth and Jim have spent several winters sailing southern waters on s/v Madcap. They love Halifax in the summer, but loved to spend the winters exploring warmer places - the Bahamas, Cuba, Mexico, Guatemala, Belize, Honduras.
Extra:
The Madcap crew left Ottawa in 2007 to go sailing in the Bahamas. After a highly successful year, they returned to Canada, settled in Halifax, Nova Scotia, and in the fall of 2009 they left to do it again! Journey #3 (2010/11) took them back to the Bahamas and then on to Cuba for several weeks [...]
Social:
Madcap's Photos - Mad Cap Sailing (Main)
19 Photos
Created 15 May 2017
20 Photos
Created 20 April 2017
62 Photos
Created 30 March 2017
11 Photos
Created 6 April 2016
13 Photos
Created 6 April 2016
5 Photos
Created 6 April 2016
6 Photos
Created 9 March 2016
11 Photos
Created 9 March 2016
23 Photos
Created 25 February 2016
18 Photos
Created 21 February 2016
31 Photos
Created 20 February 2016
4 Photos
Created 20 February 2016
20 Photos
Created 19 February 2016
7 Photos
Created 9 February 2016
51 Photos
Created 24 November 2015
12 Photos
Created 28 October 2015
16 Photos
Created 9 October 2015
24 Photos
Created 3 December 2013
our Oct/Nov 2013 trip to New Zealand
36 Photos
Created 22 November 2013
9 Photos
Created 20 January 2013
Guatemala pics starting Nov 22, 2012
43 Photos
Created 6 December 2012
54 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 8 November 2012
trip to Zion National Park and Bryce Canyon National Park (via Las Vegas)
23 Photos
Created 4 November 2012
20 Photos
Created 1 November 2012
18 Photos
Created 12 February 2012
43 Photos
Created 29 January 2012
62 Photos
Created 19 May 2011
21 Photos
Created 19 May 2011
76 Photos
Created 19 May 2011
8 Photos
Created 19 May 2011