Madcap Sailing

31 December 2018 | Gold River Marina, Nova Scotia, Canada
06 August 2018 | Mahone Bay, Nova Scotia
26 May 2018 | Gold River Marina, Gold River, NS
18 May 2018 | Gold River Marina, Gold River, NS
24 March 2018 | boat in Gold River, NS and crew in Halifax
22 May 2017 | Whittaker Creek, Oriental, NC
15 May 2017 | Boat in Oriental, crew in New Orleans and Nova Scotia
26 April 2017 | Oriental, NC
26 April 2017 | Oriental, NC
20 April 2017 | Ocean Isle Marina, Ocean Beach, NC at Mile 335.6
17 April 2017 | Dewees Creek, near Charleston, NC
14 April 2017 | St Simons Island
12 April 2017 | Fernandina Beach, FL
11 April 2017 | St Augustine, FL
07 April 2017 | Vero Beach, Florida
03 April 2017 | Ft Pierce, FL
30 March 2017 | Ft Pierce, Florida

Tootling Around Tulum

30 January 2016 | Tulum, Mexico
Beth / high 20's, sunny, relaxing
Time for a road trip! We sailed by Tulum on our way down the coastline four years ago, and we were curious to see it up close. Oddly enough, we weren’t even particularly aware of the beaches – we went to see the Mayan site. As it turned out, that wasn’t our favourite thing!

We took a cab from the marina to the ferry dock, the “people ferry” to Cancun, another cab to the ADO bus station, the bus to Tulum (2 ½ hours in air-conditioned comfort) and walked to our hotel. All very easy, efficient and affordable.

Our 4-year old Lonely Planet Guidebook to Mexico talks about the town being basically a truck stop on the highway, but that’s not what we found. It was a pleasant little town with a wide variety of restaurants, hotels, gift shops with attractive natural fibre hammocks and lots of straw hats – and not overly assertive sellers! It is flat there so biking is easy to the ruins and at least one cenote and the beach is an 80 peso cab ride or a longish bike ride away. We got there at noon, stayed 2 nights and left at noon on the third day, and I wish we had added at least one more day. We underestimated our desired beach time!

We used booking.com to reserve a room at a charming and funky little hotel recommended on Trip Advisor – just sweet, with a nice big clean room, helpful front desk staff (Jonathan and Guillermo) bikes to rent and beach towels to borrow, hammocks for naps on the rooftop and a bakery on the main floor. Maison Tulum is two blocks from the bus station and just two blocks off the main street so it was quiet but easily walkable in the evenings.

Now about those ruins: we knew it was a small site and that it is heavily visited by tour groups so it is advisable to go early or late. Unfortunately we slept in so it was 9:30 by the time we locked our bikes just outside the entrance gate, and there were many buses in the lot. We were able to sidestep the many groups and guides though so it wasn’t really a big issue. We used an iPad App for our own self-guided tour. The disappointing thing was that all the structures were roped off so we had to follow the main streets with no prowling around and inside the remains of the buildings. There is no question that it is a beautifully situated site. The Mayans regularly sailed up and down the coast, and this would have been a port town and fortress – offering protection from other Mayan city states, and occupied during the late post- Classic period (AD 1200-1521).

The Lonely Planet offers this description, “When Juan de Grijalva sailed past in 1518, he was amazed by the sight of the walled city, its buildings painted a gleaming red, blue and yellow, and a ceremonial fire flaming atop its seaside watch tower.”

That would indeed be something to see! And although the site is not nearly as interesting as other small sites we have visited, it was lovely to swim in the gorgeous turquoise waters within sight of the cliff top structures. And that brings me back to those beaches.

Oh my! The icing-sugar sand! The breakers to play in when the breeze was from the East, and the calm swells the next day in a West wind. The beach is divided into Zona Publica and Zona Hoteleria. We asked the cab driver to take us to the first public beach, although there are hotels and beach clubs along that part too – some that rent chairs and umbrellas and lockers for the day. We found lots of empty areas to lay out our towels, and we didn’t take much of value so we weren’t too worried about the backpack. On the first afternoon when there were more people, we just asked the young women next to us to keep an eye on it, and on the last morning, there were so few people there that it was really a non-issue. We could easily have spent several more hours walking the beach, playing in the water and relaxing on our towels. It was clean too – no plastic, but no shells or sea glass either.

The cenotes interested us - and again, we knew nothing about them before we decided to go to Tulum. We picked Gran Ceynote as the one to visit solely because we could bike to it from our hotel. The cenotes (pronounced say no tays) are sinkholes, or pits resulting from the collapse of limestone bedrock. Some are totally open, some are almost totally underground, some are a mix. Some are quite commercially developed, while some are in a wilder state, and there are many in the Yucutan. They all have crystal clear water, and one can swim or snorkel through them.

Gran Cenote was a little underwhelming and we wish we had had time to visit another one or two to compare. The water was beautiful, but it was pricy at 200 pesos per person and took us very little time to snorkel from start to finish. We read about others with more rock formations that would have been fun to see.

We ate well while we were there! One dinner was at El Asadero, an Argentine restaurant – very attractive with excellent service and tasty food – a departure from the usual Mexican food we have been enjoying. We ordered the ancharro platter – a beautifully tender flank steak grilled perfectly according to our “doneness” requests, a sample of Argentinian sausage, either potatoes or onion, and a flat cactus “leaf”. (What does one call a piece of cactus?) Jim didn’t care for that at all, and I ate enough to know that it wasn’t high on my favourite local food list either. I have seen them at the markets, and now I know I don’t need to bother trying to cook it!

We sampled two different bakeries for tasty treats and either cappuccino or fruit frescas, and started our days with a fruit platter and a shared egg, sausage, bean plate at two different places. (I think Don Cafeto would be great any time of day.)

So – Tulum is certainly worth a visit if you are in the neighbourhood. Get a bike, regress a few years, go flying around on the wide roads and bike paths, play on the beach, relax in a hammock. Have fun!

Comments
Vessel Name: Madcap
Vessel Make/Model: Bayfield 36
Hailing Port: Halifax, Nova Scotia
Crew: James D Bissell (Jim) and Elizabeth Lusby (Beth)
About: Beth and Jim have spent several winters sailing southern waters on s/v Madcap. They love Halifax in the summer, but loved to spend the winters exploring warmer places - the Bahamas, Cuba, Mexico, Guatemala, Belize, Honduras.
Extra:
The Madcap crew left Ottawa in 2007 to go sailing in the Bahamas. After a highly successful year, they returned to Canada, settled in Halifax, Nova Scotia, and in the fall of 2009 they left to do it again! Journey #3 (2010/11) took them back to the Bahamas and then on to Cuba for several weeks [...]
Social:
Madcap's Photos - Mad Cap Sailing (Main)
19 Photos
Created 15 May 2017
20 Photos
Created 20 April 2017
62 Photos
Created 30 March 2017
11 Photos
Created 6 April 2016
13 Photos
Created 6 April 2016
5 Photos
Created 6 April 2016
6 Photos
Created 9 March 2016
11 Photos
Created 9 March 2016
23 Photos
Created 25 February 2016
18 Photos
Created 21 February 2016
31 Photos
Created 20 February 2016
4 Photos
Created 20 February 2016
20 Photos
Created 19 February 2016
7 Photos
Created 9 February 2016
51 Photos
Created 24 November 2015
12 Photos
Created 28 October 2015
16 Photos
Created 9 October 2015
24 Photos
Created 3 December 2013
our Oct/Nov 2013 trip to New Zealand
36 Photos
Created 22 November 2013
9 Photos
Created 20 January 2013
Guatemala pics starting Nov 22, 2012
43 Photos
Created 6 December 2012
54 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 8 November 2012
trip to Zion National Park and Bryce Canyon National Park (via Las Vegas)
23 Photos
Created 4 November 2012
20 Photos
Created 1 November 2012
18 Photos
Created 12 February 2012
43 Photos
Created 29 January 2012
62 Photos
Created 19 May 2011
21 Photos
Created 19 May 2011
76 Photos
Created 19 May 2011
8 Photos
Created 19 May 2011