Madcap Sailing

31 December 2018 | Gold River Marina, Nova Scotia, Canada
06 August 2018 | Mahone Bay, Nova Scotia
26 May 2018 | Gold River Marina, Gold River, NS
18 May 2018 | Gold River Marina, Gold River, NS
24 March 2018 | boat in Gold River, NS and crew in Halifax
22 May 2017 | Whittaker Creek, Oriental, NC
15 May 2017 | Boat in Oriental, crew in New Orleans and Nova Scotia
26 April 2017 | Oriental, NC
26 April 2017 | Oriental, NC
20 April 2017 | Ocean Isle Marina, Ocean Beach, NC at Mile 335.6
17 April 2017 | Dewees Creek, near Charleston, NC
14 April 2017 | St Simons Island
12 April 2017 | Fernandina Beach, FL
11 April 2017 | St Augustine, FL
07 April 2017 | Vero Beach, Florida
03 April 2017 | Ft Pierce, FL
30 March 2017 | Ft Pierce, Florida

Still on the Hard

03 April 2017 | Ft Pierce, FL
Beth / hot, dusty and sweaty

Launch day has come and gone and we're still here. Sometimes that happens when something doesn't work, or we aren't ready, but this time it was Mother Nature who "encouraged" a delay.

Wouldn't you know, all last week there were morning tides and little wind. This week? Afternoon tides and strong afternoon winds.

We kept working away at our projects all weekend and were successful with many of them. The SSB tuner arrived at West Marine on schedule. I crawled down into the stern locker, wriggled my way over into the corner and removed the old one. Then, following Jim's instructions, I disconnected the wires, reconnected them in the new one, and managed to screw it back into place - all the while thinking dark thoughts about a certain dear friend of ours who chose that awkward spot to install the original one. I know it is out of the way of all the things that get tossed in that locker; in fact, it is in the opposite corner from the holding tank vent that you have heard me grumbling about on other occasions! This, at least, was cleaner. Unfortunately we will have to wait until we are in the water to see if it works and we are able to talk to people.

My trip up the mast was not as successful. The job was to remove the dead steaming light and install a new one, but I couldn't get the screws unscrewed from the mast. We will try that again another day with different tools in my belt. I did get a couple of good pictures though!

I am usually the one to go high and go low on Madcap, thanks to being a little smaller, and not as strong as Jim. I would far rather have him at the winch, winding me slowly upward than be the one hauling him up. (We don't have any electric winches on Madcap.) He seems to feel more comfortable doing the hauling than depending on me to give him a safe trip up and down too. Funny about that.

Our really good news story is about the dinghy. Jim left a message Thursday afternoon at "A Sailor's Place" in Stuart. Gary called back first thing on Friday morning to say if we could get it there that morning he would have a look at it. We rented a van and Jim had it to the shop within a couple of hours. By the end of the day, Gary called back to say he had found and sealed the leak, replaced a missing ring and checked the valves. We rented another van on Saturday and Jim drove down to pick it up - and a new gas can too. So, within 24 hours, we had a good as new dinghy hoisted on the davits! We highly recommend the service there.

The varnishing is as much done as it is going to be for a while, because even though we have more time than we figured, the amount of dust blowing around this yard today put a stop to any ideas of applying more coats.

And that wind that is blowing the dust around? We saw 12 -15 knots most of the afternoon, with gusts to 20 and 22. Jason said he could put us in and line us around the corner, but we were still concerned about the amount of water in the channel and the strength of the wind as we went out. It was past high tide by the time they could get to us and we went down to watch them launch a neighbouring boat. It took 3 men straining hard to pull it around the corner into the narrow channel as the straps dropped away from the hull. Once facing out, the captain powered up, headed out toward the ICW and promptly got blown off course and went aground. He managed to back off and get going again, but Jim and I looked at each other and decided that we don't need to start this season under this kind of pressure. It was one of those situations where we could say, "Yes, we can do it." Having watched the other boat Jim knew he'd have to power up high and steer hard against the wind, but we also knew that when we got to Vero Beach, we would have to raft with another boat in the same kind of wind, and it just didn't seem like a great idea. Interestingly, the yard was scheduled to handle 7 boats today and they moved 2. I guess we weren't the only ones to decide that prudence was the best policy.

We will take it a day at a time, but we're hoping that we can get in the water tomorrow, stay overnight in the slip and depart at first light on Wednesday morning, catching the early tide before the wind comes up.

So here we are on our first night on board, listening to the wind whistle through the rigging all around us, not quite where we thought we'd be, but secure and optimistic. We walked down to the Cove Restaurant at Harbortown Marina for delicious shrimp scampi and seafood ravioli, and lots of iced tea to drown our sorrows. That part was probably not the the smartest thing even though we were parched. It's a long dark trip down that ladder and across the yard in the middle of the night. Maybe we should have my grandmother's china pot stashed under our berth like they used to do in the days of outhouses!

There are more pictures in the gallery - click on the link at the top of the page.
Vessel Name: Madcap
Vessel Make/Model: Bayfield 36
Hailing Port: Halifax, Nova Scotia
Crew: James D Bissell (Jim) and Elizabeth Lusby (Beth)
About: Beth and Jim have spent several winters sailing southern waters on s/v Madcap. They love Halifax in the summer, but loved to spend the winters exploring warmer places - the Bahamas, Cuba, Mexico, Guatemala, Belize, Honduras.
The Madcap crew left Ottawa in 2007 to go sailing in the Bahamas. After a highly successful year, they returned to Canada, settled in Halifax, Nova Scotia, and in the fall of 2009 they left to do it again! Journey #3 (2010/11) took them back to the Bahamas and then on to Cuba for several weeks [...]
Madcap's Photos - Mad Cap Sailing (Main)
19 Photos
Created 15 May 2017
20 Photos
Created 20 April 2017
62 Photos
Created 30 March 2017
11 Photos
Created 6 April 2016
13 Photos
Created 6 April 2016
5 Photos
Created 6 April 2016
6 Photos
Created 9 March 2016
11 Photos
Created 9 March 2016
23 Photos
Created 25 February 2016
18 Photos
Created 21 February 2016
31 Photos
Created 20 February 2016
4 Photos
Created 20 February 2016
20 Photos
Created 19 February 2016
7 Photos
Created 9 February 2016
51 Photos
Created 24 November 2015
12 Photos
Created 28 October 2015
16 Photos
Created 9 October 2015
24 Photos
Created 3 December 2013
our Oct/Nov 2013 trip to New Zealand
36 Photos
Created 22 November 2013
9 Photos
Created 20 January 2013
Guatemala pics starting Nov 22, 2012
43 Photos
Created 6 December 2012
54 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 8 November 2012
trip to Zion National Park and Bryce Canyon National Park (via Las Vegas)
23 Photos
Created 4 November 2012
20 Photos
Created 1 November 2012
18 Photos
Created 12 February 2012
43 Photos
Created 29 January 2012
62 Photos
Created 19 May 2011
21 Photos
Created 19 May 2011
76 Photos
Created 19 May 2011
8 Photos
Created 19 May 2011