Cruising Santa Magdalena

25 January 2014 | Pelican Cays, Belize
18 March 2012 | Central Caribbean
23 May 2011 | North Atlantic
12 May 2011 | North Atlantic
06 May 2011 | South Atlantic
15 April 2011 | South Atlantic
14 April 2011 | South Atlantic
13 April 2011 | South Atlantic
20 February 2011 | South Atlantic
11 February 2011 | South Atlantic
07 February 2011 | South Atlantic
04 February 2011 | South Atlantic
27 January 2011 | South Atlantic
26 January 2011 | South Atlantic
21 January 2011 | South Atlantic
19 January 2011 | South Atlantic
17 January 2011 | South Atlantic
16 January 2011 | South Atlantic
15 January 2011 | South Atlantic
14 January 2011 | South Atlantic

Summary of first leg, and Cape Town work list

13 April 2011 | South Atlantic
Casey
Before I start on statistics for our current leg, Cape Town to St Helena, I better first summarize the stats of our first leg from the Falklands to Cape Town.

It was no easy passage. 3354 Nm was the great circle distance, and we sailed nearly 3500 miles dock to dock. It took 36 and a half days. Best sailing day was 143 miles, worst was 22 miles. Highest wind speed was 60 kts, and we spend almost 4 days becalmed. During parts of the calm days and on our final approach we used the engine for a total of 38 hours, (10 hours on the last 5 miles!), consuming 79 liters of fuel. Damages included 2 ripped sails, destruction of the dodger, damage to forestay wire connection at the mast head and water damage to stereo. All and all I would say that aside from two days that were quite bad, the trip in all was mostly comfortable and in the end a very rewarding experience.

Our stay in Cape Town proved extremely good for repairing and improving the boat. Work done to the boat in Cape Town included: -Installing a new toilet along with new discharge hoses and vacuum beakers. This has greatly reduced leaks and general bad smells in the head. -Repairs to the teak deck. Removed old calking seams, sanded the teak, and re-sealed entire deck. There were several places where water was leaking into the boat through the deck. Hopefully we have sealed most of them. -Hauled the boat our of the water for the first time in 3 years to renew anti fouling bottom paint, checked through hull fittings, propeller, shaft, and rudder. -Replaced bobstay connection to the bow. While inspecting the boat on land I saw the fitting that connects the bow sprit to the boat was showing signs of cracking. Had the new fitting made of slightly thicker 316 stainless. -Removed the forestay and replaced the connection at the mast head. While inspecting the rigging before setting off again I saw that one of the wire strands of the forestay had broken. There are 19 strands in each wire, but I still re-cut the wire and replaced the terminal to be sure forestay was at its full 100% strength. -Had new canvas covers made for the 2 topside hatches, and a cover made for the life raft. - Had the dodger plastic glass windows re-made, and also part of the bimmini that was a little worst for wear re-made. The canvas work in Cape town was especially good and well priced, and Jamie got a some time off from the sewing machine. -Had the storm jib repaired after being ripped during the storm. -Replaced UV cover on roller furling jib -Had a new mainsail made for the boat. After ripping the mainsail when trying to enter the harbor on our first attempt we decided that to repair the sail that was already 10 years old and suffering the effects of UV damage might not be a very long term solution. Cape Town has excellent sail making and repairing facilities and we are happy so far with the new sail by Quantum and its quality, as well as the price we paid for it.

Our stay in Cape Town did turn out to be quite expensive, but compared to how cheap the last 3 years in south america have been, with a near lack of marine stores and services, we think it was good value for the money. Besides it was time replace most of the things anyway and a pleasure to do it in a place with first class facilities and friendly people to help.
Comments
Vessel Name: Santa Magdalena
Vessel Make/Model: Baba 35
Hailing Port: Wilson WY
Crew: Casey and Jamie
About: Casey has been sailing the Santa Magdalena since 2003, starting from Annapolis, MD, through the Caribbean where he met Jamie in 2006 in Bonaire. Together, we have covered much of South America and Panama by land and by sea. And, the adventure continues...!

Who: Casey and Jamie
Port: Wilson WY