Our Family Adventures on Maggie Mae

20 August 2014 | Capitola
18 August 2014 | Santa Cruz
18 August 2014 | Capitola
16 August 2014 | Capitola
31 March 2013 | Piedras Blancas
22 March 2013 | Near Santa Barbara
20 March 2013 | Off Point Pinos
02 March 2013 | Moss landing

Summer Sail Aug 2014

16 August 2014 | Capitola
Cathy
We left at 2pm on Aug 15th out of Moss Landing Harbor. Packed up with food and water we were ready for the afternoon trip to capitola. Even before we made it out of the harbor marker we were already seeing spouting whales. It was amazing because everywhere we looked there were a group of whales. We headed towards 2-3 spouting and swimming. (See picture). It was awesome.
The rest of the afternoon we saw various other whales (that I think were humpback whales). We also saw jelly fish and of course sea lions.
Before we left, we walked to the beach and saw tons of little purple and clear creatures washed up on the shore. We had never seen this before on the beach. After some web searches, we found out they were called velellas. They are usually not found in this area, but since the water temperature is warmer than usual, I guess they have come this way.

We are rolling a bit in the swell when we arrived to Capitola, but it is fun to be at a place we have never anchored before. We went on shore and the kids played a little at the beach before heading back. Everyone is pretty tired after today. The kids did great and did not get sick even with watching a movie below deck! Well, this time I decided to pre-treat them with 1/4 tab of dramamine to see if that would help. Don't know if that's what did it, but just glad it turned out the way it did.
Today we will go to the beach and cruise around town.
Comments
Vessel Name: Maggie Mae
Vessel Make/Model: Hylas 44
Hailing Port: San Francisco
Crew: Tait, Cathy, Sam and Camille

Who: Tait, Cathy, Sam and Camille
Port: San Francisco