09 July 2011 | San Francisco, USA
06 July 2011 | Monterey, California, USA
29 June 2011 | Santa Barbara, California, USA
17 June 2011 | San Diego, California
16 June 2011 | Northern Baja, Mexico
14 June 2011 | Turtle Bay, Baja, Mexico
12 June 2011 | Past Magdalena Bay, Baja, Mexico
11 June 2011 | Cabo Los Puertos, Mexico
05 June 2011 | Cabo Del San Jose,Baja, Mexico
28 May 2011 | La Cruz Marina, Puerto Vallarta, Mexico
19 May 2011 | Barra De Navidad, Mexico
13 May 2011 | Zithuatanejo, Mexico
09 May 2011 | Punta Galera, Mexico
06 May 2011 | Oaxaca city, Mexico
03 May 2011 | Huatulco, Mexico
27 April 2011 | Puerto Chiapas, Southern Mexico
23 April 2011 | Bahia Del Sol, El Salvador
21 April 2011 | Golfo De Fonseca, El Salvador,Honduras,Nicaragua
19 April 2011 | Playa Del Cocos, Northern Costa Rica
18 April 2011 | Quepos

Fiji At A Glance

30 May 2008 | Muscat Cove, Fiji
anne
Researching a travel destination prior to arrival is a bit like the Catholic faith for me: I was never very good at it, believing instead that its better to wait and see the real thing before making any assumptions. Similarly, with regard to Fiji, neither Uwe nor I placed any great effort into informing ourselves about the country, other than taking notice of the advice we received from other yachties who had been there.
But since arriving in Fiji, we realize how ignorant we are about this steaming, culturally vibrant South Pacific Nation. Yes, like I imagined, resorts dot many of the islands, but there is also the other Fiji, permeated with indigenous traditions that have managed to survive the many disruptions of its colorful past, notably colonization by the British empire, who we have to thank for making us understood with relative ease here. The British, adept in all aspects of colonization probably never realized how they would play a role in the future of Fijian Cultural Identity: they were responsible for bringing Indian labourers to Fiji to work on the sugar plantations on a contract basis, with the idea that upon expiration of their contracts they would subsequently return to mainland India. Most however, remained for a variety of reasons and through the generations their presence has carved the present day Indo-Fijian culture. Little did they know though back then, that their future would be fraught with ethnic tension, resentment and political instability. (They like to "coup"alot in Fiji.
Although we have not yet been to Suva, Fiji's capital, where the majority of Indo-Fijians live, the Indian culture is apparent everywhere. The first evidence of course lies in the delights of their food which is sold everywhere.
Even the market at Lautoka is a spice lovers paradise, with many little stalls devoted only to spices.
The infrastructure is pretty disastrous, and with the high rainfall comes an abundance of potholes making the road trip from the marina into town a journey where its possible to regurgitate the entire contents of your stomach. The cute kids make it worthwhile and they like to play with Kara. The buses have canopies hanging in place of windows, which you can roll up to let in the dusty air, or roll down to keep out the rain. Unlike Tonga, you can find pretty much everything you need here, wide varieties of cereal, vegetables and meats, cheeses and yogurts.
With our eyelids remaining shut for many uninterrupted hours following our arrival into the marina and the high stack of laundry steadily diminishing we were able to relax for a few days at Vuda Point. There's a modest resort next door with a pool which yachties can visit for $5 (Fijian) a day. It used to cost a dollar, but times they are a changin'. There's a small general store right beside which is a little cafe and a charming yacht club sitting at the entrance of the marina that doles out scrumptious dishes. Kara has been well occupied, since catching up with her friend Olivia from sailboat Momentum.
We decided to move over here to Muscat Cove for a change of scenery, which is located in another island called Malololailai about 12 miles across from the mainland. You can pick up a mooring ball and use the resort facilities which has a much better pool that we all avail of daily. I hesitate to swim by the boat, since the other day I managed to wrap a Portuguese Man of War around me, fortunately he was dead but still sticky. In stark contrast looking across to the island of Malolo opposite us, there is an obvious lack of the resort style houses that can be viewed from our cockpit and at high tide we crossed the reef to explore its village. Therein lies another world. Round smiling ladies greeted us and led us to some more round ladies huddled on a mat displaying local jewelery and crafts. After buying some items from one lady, we were beckoned over to another collection of ladies with yet another neat display of crafts. We're such softies when it comes to situations like this, and we can never say no to the playful haggling of these village merchants, knowing how much one little purchase means to them. The 3rd stand was the last one thankfully.
Now that we made friends, we could enter the village, although one of the ladies said, maybe we need to buy a sarong since its more polite to cover our legs, but sensing she had already gleaned enough from us she didn't push the sale too forcefully, telling us instead that it would be okay if we just took our hats off. Again, we were mortified by our lack of preparation, and we strode on baring our foreign sand fly bitten legs. We were led to the house of the village chief, who was away visiting Australia but in his absence we were greeted by another kind man; a Willie Brown lookalike (ex mayor of San Francisco). As we sat under the shade we presented our gift, Kava root. Kiwi friends from another boat who were clearly more well versed in village etiquette than we were , advised us in the practice of presenting a gift to the village chief, and since Kava root is not grown on the outer islands, it's seen as a welcome offering. Together with an older toothless lady, and the young boy who guided us to him, he began to chant a long prayer of thanks in his native tongue, they clapped hands, and he wiped a tear from his eye. Could he have been touched? By our gesture perhaps? Uwe was not promised 10 virgins like he was told! We took a stroll over to the impressive school where 180 students attend , the principal informed us that such a school was possible through generous donations from people like us. Expeditions such as this make those days of vagabonding around the rough oceans well worthwhile.
Last night, together with our friends Peggy and Ray, we attended a Pig Roasting Feast at the resort, followed by a traditional dance. The preparation for the fire began at 10am, and at 7pm, two young native men carried the pig over to its final place of rest, and carved it up into juicy pieces. Oh what a feast it was. I'm sure that all the food contained in that one feast supplied for our voracious Western appetites was enough to feed the village for a week. Boy, they manage to do their research well!
Shortly we will make our way Korea and then Europe to visit family. As our friend Molly says, "nothing goes better to wind than a 747", so Magnum will remain in Vuda Point Marina in our absence.
After our return, we are looking forward to exploring more of Fiji, and its outer more remote islands.
And while the Catholic faith may be lost on me for now, I will work better on researching destinations and try to be better prepared in presenting ourselves as better visitors.
Comments
Vessel Name: Magnum
Vessel Make/Model: Peterson 44
Hailing Port: San Francisco
Crew: Uwe Anne Kara
About: Anne Crowley Kara Dobers
Extra: http://www.sailblogs.com/gallery/magnum
Home Page: http://www.sailmagnum.com
Magnum's Photos - Magnum: Anne Crowley,Uwe Dobers, Kara Dobers (Main)
A much more exciting transit than the Suez canal 9 months earlier, another epic moment in the voyage as we re entered the Pacific Ocean
21 Photos
Created 28 May 2011
We spent an enjoyable 2 weeks exploring these close knit group of islands, home to the Kuna Indians. It was the first time in a while that we felt like we were cruising and not racing to get somewhere. Many cruising boats chose to make it their home by staying long periods of time. The Kuna's still live in a very traditional way, and create the most intricate sewing cloths called "molas". We hooked up with other kid boats, which pleased us all, and Kara certainly enjoyed her last taste of island life
32 Photos
Created 27 March 2011
The passage from Aruba to Colombia can be one of the roughest passages in the world, thankfully ours was not too bad, as we paid close attention to the weather. We sailed direct to the big city of Cartagena, and took the bus to the old city of Santa Marta
14 Photos
Created 27 March 2011
Late at night on December 23rd 2010, we made landfall at St.Lucia, 22 days after leaving Canary Islands, with a 2 night rest at Cape Verde in between. We were tired but happy to have made it in time for Santa's arrival. Daniel and Philippine flew in from SF and joined us for Christmas and came aboard to sail down through the Grenadines with us. We continued on to Grenada with brief stops at the Dutch Antilles islands of Bonaire, Curacao and Aruba.
21 Photos
Created 15 January 2011
First stop in the Canary Islands was Lanzarote, followed by Fuerteventura and then to the Capital of Las Palmas to await weather to Cape Verde. We had 2 short nights in Mindelo, before the Atlantic crossing to the Carribbean
9 Photos
Created 15 January 2011
At tip south end of mainland Spain lies the British territory of Gibraltar. It marked the end of the Meditteranean, and entrance to the Atlantic Ocean
9 Photos
Created 15 January 2011
Our first stop in Spain was at the Balearic Island of Menorca. From there we continued rapidly through Mallorca, Ibiza and Formentera, before arriving at mainland Spain. We left Magnum in Alicante and took the plane to visit beautiful Barcelona. Halloween was spent in Cartegena befor continuing on to Gibraltar.
16 Photos
Created 15 January 2011
Stops at both Sicily and Sardinia were brief, but enjoyable nonetheless. The island of Favignana, off Sicily was just beautiful as were the quiet anchorages in southern Sardinia, especially with the end of high season
8 Photos
Created 22 October 2010
A quick detour to Malta to pick up our mainsail made us glad to see the old city of Valetta
12 Photos
Created 22 October 2010
We meandered slowly through the Dodecanese, Cyclades and Peleponnese islands, together with Kleiner Bar. Despite the high winds in some places and the high temperatures, it was a truly enjoyable few weeks
30 Photos
Created 22 October 2010
Reaching Turkey was greeted by all with relief, and a feeling of returning to civilisation. Delicious food, warm waters, wonderful anchorages and many things ancient
12 Photos
Created 23 August 2010
After arriving in Turkey in late May, we took a break from the boat to visit our families and enjoy the comforts of land for a month
15 Photos
Created 23 August 2010
From the endless desert to the ancient temples of Luxor,endless baksheesh in the suez canal; A box of contrasts.
25 Photos
Created 25 May 2010
After crossing the Gulf Aden, Eritrea was our first introduction to the east coast of Africa. From the Italian colonial feel of Eritrea's Port Massawa to the remoteness of Sudan, both countries were certainly unique. In Sudan, taking pictures was sometimes difficult as most Sudanese expressed great reluctance toward it, so we eventually put the camera away.
34 Photos
Created 21 May 2010
After Maldives, it was a 12 day sail into Oman, in completely new surroundings. After managing to go through the pirated Gulf of Aden, we arrived in Aden, Yemen, another new experience
34 Photos
Created 11 April 2010
From Sri Lanka we sailed to the Northern Most Atoll of the Maldives Islands called Uligan. We swam and relaxed for 7 days in this slice of paradise, clear water and tons of fish
24 Photos
Created 13 March 2010
From Galle Harbor, we took a 5 day trip inland via train, and bumpy buses with our companions on Kleiner Bar
27 Photos
Created 11 March 2010
From Phuket Thailand, we began our progression west, our first stop being the beautiful and remote Andaman Islands, a welcome break from the chaotic and busy Phuket
28 Photos
Created 25 February 2010
From Langkawi Malaysia, it was a brief trip up to the first island in Thailand,south of Phuket. We spent Christmas on the west side of Phuket, at Nai Han Bay with my sister and family. Travel in Thailand was limited,as the passage to the Indian Ocean beckoned by January.
50 Photos
Created 9 January 2010
From Indonesia, we motored our way through the maze of the busy shipping lane of the Malacca Strait, and into glitzy Singapore for a brief stop. We then continued along the Malacca strait on the west side of Malaysia stopping at Pangkor, Georgetown (Penang) and finally on to the last Malaysian island of Langkawi.
33 Photos
Created 8 January 2010
From Ashmore Reef, we sailed north toward Central Indonesia to Rinca and then sailed the southern route to Lombok and Bali. From there we sailed north in the Java Sea to the last exit port of Indonesia to the Island of Batam
74 Photos
Created 19 October 2009
Our first stop at an Ocean reef, Ashmore reef, still part of Australia, although closer to Indonesia, did not dissappoint. We spent about 5 great days here.
9 Photos
Created 8 September 2009
Our last passage in Australia brought up along the reefs of Eastern Austrlalia, around the rugged top end of Cape York to our last port of call in Australia:Darwin
11 Photos
Created 27 July 2009
As we left New South Wales, we moved slowly up the Coast towards Queensland, haven of wonderful weather and sandy beaches
49 Photos
Created 22 June 2009
Pictures from our first port of entry at Coffs Harbour. We then made our way down the coast to Sydney where we spent Christmas and New Year. We took a road trip to Melbourne for 2 weeks in January. Then toward the end of Febuary we sadly left Sydney and progressed back north.
67 Photos
Created 27 February 2009
From the Loyalty Islands of Lifou, Mare, then the Capital of Noumea and the Idyllic Isle De Pins Further South
42 Photos
Created 10 December 2008
Vanuatu's Capital Port Vila where Kara celebrated her 6th Birthday, and Islands of Malekula and Espirito Santo
27 Photos
Created 22 October 2008
Our First Destination in Vanuatu was Tanna, home of the Mt Yasur Volcano
41 Photos
Created 10 September 2008
A few pictures from Viti Levu on Fiji's Western Side
38 Photos
Created 20 August 2008
We left the boat in Tauranga and drove to Wellington, where we took the ferry to the South Island. We completed the circle of the South Island by going down the West Coast and back up the East Coast
89 Photos
Created 31 March 2008
Our first trip in the North Island brought us From Tauranga to Roturua, Hamilton,Waitomo Caves,Galatea, Taupo,Whakatane
37 Photos
Created 23 January 2008
50 Photos
Created 12 October 2007
32 Photos
Created 5 October 2007
30 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 22 June 2007
36 Photos
Created 22 June 2007
16 Photos
Created 12 April 2007
31 Photos
Created 6 February 2007
55 Photos
Created 20 January 2007
6 Photos
Created 20 January 2007
5 Photos
Created 20 January 2007
5 Photos
Created 20 January 2007
6 Photos
Created 20 January 2007
1 Photo
Created 20 January 2007
19 Photos
Created 20 January 2007
5 Photos
Created 1 December 2006