b.c.bound

Vessel Name: mistletoe
Vessel Make/Model: fraser 41
Hailing Port: victoria b.c.
Crew: chris and jen clarke
09 August 2009 | b.c.
09 August 2009 | hawaii
08 June 2009 | kauai
08 June 2009 | kauai
28 April 2009 | mx
28 April 2009 | mx
09 April 2009 | mx
26 March 2009 | mx
26 March 2009 | mx
16 March 2009 | puesta del sol
15 March 2009 | costa rica
15 March 2009 | costa rica
27 February 2009 | panama
27 February 2009 | panama
27 February 2009 | panama
16 February 2009 | panama
15 February 2009 | san blas
12 February 2009 | caymans
19 January 2009 | cuba
16 January 2009 | cuba
Recent Blog Posts
09 August 2009 | b.c.

hawaii to victoria

Nawiliwili is a few miles from the nearest town so without a bus service we knew it was going to be tough to do what we always need to do in every port. Internet, laundry, provision etc etc. we hitched a ride to town, which was easy. Getting a ride back to the marina was going to be tricky and we decided [...]

09 August 2009 | hawaii

lahaina to kauai

Marty was such a big part of our successful stay in lahaina that we wanted to do something nice for him. He accepted our invitation to sail with us to lanai. The wind finally started blowing in its normal pattern and we had a great sail with Marty steering all the way. We were worried it might be like [...]

08 June 2009 | kauai

maui to kauai

Maui has proved to be one of our best stops of the trip. We were planning to skip all the islands and go directly to Kauai. Due to lack of wind we pulled into lahaina to have a break from two days of solid motoring. We got in after hours so were not able to talk with the harbour master. Some locals were [...]

08 June 2009 | kauai

mx to hawaii

We cast off our lines from Nuevo Vallarta marina at around 5.00 p.m. We were planning on a gentle motor over to the marina in la cruz, about 5 miles north. The wind decided to pipe up as soon as we left the harbour and within a few minutes, we were covered in salt again! We snuck into the fuel dock as [...]

28 April 2009 | mx

p.v.

Finally getting to P.V. after such a slog up from Panama was a huge relief and we both felt like we had come to another one of those milestones along our journey. One thing this leg has taught us. Going up the west coast of the U.S. is definitely not an option for us. Reality has hit me in the face. [...]

28 April 2009 | mx

z-what to p.v.

A few days in z-what and we were ready to roll again. We weighed anchor early and motored a couple of hours around to Ixtapa marina to fuel and top of water tanks, wash salt off etc. Once done, out into a windless ocean and the grim prospect of many more hours of motoring. The wind gods were kind to [...]

hemingway to paraiso

16 January 2009 | cuba
chris
Things didn't start well for us as I lost a good deal of our fishing gear just as I was letting line out. Another knot tying issue! This time, however, I let go of the tail before I had finished tying the knot!
Little to no wind so motored until mid p.m. when we could finally move along without the engine. We had sat for a week in hemingway with strong e. winds blowing like clockwork. Murphy is lurking somewhere!
A day is not quite long enough to get through the reef system in good light so we had planned a night stop in Bahia Honda. As we entered through the well marked channel there was a great deal of excited babbling on the radio, which was clearly directed at us. The guarda frontera shack was a hive of activity with people running in all directions, waving arms and even what looked like a fist fight. Perhaps the new years eve festivities had already begun?
Not a word of endlish was spoken on the radio but we eventually gathered that they wanted us to pull up in front, anchor and complete to dreaded formalities. More excitement on the radio as we launched the dinghy. This meant, 'don't put your dinghy in the water 'cause we are coming out to see you'
Eventually a very shaky rowing tub emerged from behind the crumbling dock with two uniforms aboard. A couple of hours later with dictionary well used and darkness fast approaching, we were allowed to proceed around the corner to a well protected bay. Two fishermen arrived wanting 'cervesa', but sadly for them, my humour level was at a low ebb by now and I explained to them that we only drank water as I crossed my chest several times. I don't think they bought the Morman routine as I heard them laughing as they rowed away saying, agua.....agua....agua....
T'was a very quiet new year for us, think we were in bed by 9! Early start next morning with a short run of 20 miles to the reef opening. Bahia Honda is full of rotting hulks. Ships that are past their 'sell by date'. Possibly a breaking yard with a crane, some broken steel buildings and old patrol boats littered around the area. No signs of life however.
No babble as we motored stealthily past the guarda compound out bound, hooray!
Again little or no wind. (I must say more prayers to the wind gods).
Our arrival at the cut through the reef meant that we were on full alert with all our previous experience of shallow water travel out front and centre. Charts in this area are iffy at best and we had been warned not to trust them as hurricanes had altered the contours quite a bit. We were flying V.F.R. in the mountains with a low ceiling!
Slowly we crept along with jen on the bow, and I watching the depth sounded and the chart. Luckily it seemed there was little, or no coral heads, but the bottom was covered in grass which made it hard to read.
Before we were able to anchor at cayo paraiso, we had traded 6 cans of pop for 3 nice lobsters and had offloaded a barracuda which we had caught earlier.(even these guys were reluctant to deal with this potentially poisonous fish). There were two craft that managed to intercept us and a third with a green patchwork quilt sail that wasn't quite quick enough and missed out. Amazing catamarans based on two inflated tractor inner tubes flattened out with a grid of woody bits strapped across to make a place to sit a stow their catch. Two man crew, each with a rowing station which when both were occupied propelled the raft at a good clip.
After a week with security guards walking past the boat all day and night at marina hemingway, the relief to be anchored in a secluded tranquil bay was huge and we ended up staying for 3 days, swimming, snorkelling, beachcombing and generally being lazy. Rumours of lobsters crawling all over the place were overdone and I only managed to bag one decent sized one the whole time we were there. A turtle washed up on the beach and I was thinking I might be able to salvage the shell but the thing was so putrid and the shell so soft , it broke apart when I touched it, so I decided it wasn't worth it. Always wanted a turtle shell for the wall!
We decided to leave on my birthday and for a special treat we ran hard aground, not following our inbound track precisely! Tried everything to get unstuck without success so had to don sandles, mask and bailed over the side.
I had left instructions with the chief engineer to maintain propulsion in slow astern, and was surprised at how much force I was fighting just to get to the front of the keel. I did my best second row forward impression and began to 'heave'. the boys at Twickenham would have been proud! To my surprise it took little effort and as soon as the boat lifted slightly, she was sliding backwards at an alarming rate and I surfaced to see her speeding away.
I uttered a few helpful suggestions to the officer on watch and eventually the ship came to a halt and I was able to rejoin. Navigation was resumed without further incident! Stay tuned, more travels coming soon.


Comments

About & Links