Makana

21 March 2017 | Vero Beach FL
01 August 2016 | Alaska
02 November 2015
16 August 2015 | Zion Nat'l Park UT
20 July 2015 | DC tax $ at work
20 July 2015 | Wash DC
01 July 2015 | Maine
06 March 2015 | George Town
04 March 2015 | George Town
10 February 2015 | Bahamas
10 February 2015 | Red Shanks Exuma
30 November 2014 | St Augustine
21 November 2014 | Hammock Dunes NC
18 November 2014 | Elizabeth City NC
07 October 2014 | Maine
25 September 2014 | USS Albacore
25 September 2014 | Portsmouth NH
25 September 2014 | Georgetown MD
16 September 2014 | Long Island Sound NY
05 July 2014 | Camden & Farmington ME

The Neighborhood

25 January 2012 | Emerald Bay marina
Rick
We departed Long Island early morning and sailed 15 miles to the north east arriving at Conception Island. The island is a Bahamian land and sea park which we had last visited 5 years ago. That visit was one which we’ll never forget as at that time we snorkeled among the reefs and were amazed at the diversity of sea life and coral especially the large Elkhorn coral. Things had changed under water since our last visit. All the coral was dead and the reefs were relatively lifeless with the Elkhorn structure being taken over by alge.
On the positive side we encountered dozens of turtles on our dingy trip among the mangroves which make up the interior of the island. Most of the turtles we babies and juveniles. Once mature the turtles will spend their entire life out in the ocean returning to exactly where they were born to give birth, even more amazing is the fact that they have been tracked traveling thousands of miles from where they were born.
After two days at Conception the winds dictated a sail west towards George Town. What a sail we had, 15-20 knots on the port quarter, blue skies with tropical clouds for a backdrop with the icing on the cake being the 3 foot Mahi Mahi we caught while sailing. The ocean has been more than generous to the crew of Makana this winter, which we are grateful. We’ll be at Emerald Bay marina for a few days before we head north to Staniel Cay. It’s strange to be back at a dock but with free laundry and “unlimited” showers included in the slip fees it’s a nice splurge.
Comments
Vessel Name: Makana
Vessel Make/Model: Admiral Excutive 38
Hailing Port: Camden, Maine
Crew: Rick, Katie & Hoku
About: We launched Makana in Aug. 2006 and have taken her from South Africa to the Caribbean, Bahamas, US East Coast to Maine.
Extra: We offer custom charters in Maine during the summer and Bahamas during the winter.

The Crew

Who: Rick, Katie & Hoku
Port: Camden, Maine