Malibu

24 August 2015
29 June 2015
12 June 2015
12 May 2015
20 December 2014
11 December 2014
29 October 2014
11 October 2014
08 October 2014
17 September 2014
02 September 2014
24 June 2014
13 June 2014
06 June 2014
06 June 2014
06 June 2014
28 May 2014
14 May 2014

Smoke on the water

16 September 2013
Andrew
We spent a week in the Marina at Portosin, Ria De Muros. Very nice clubhouse, staff were great.
We were finding the Spanish bus service cheap and efficient so used it to for some tourist visits; first a nearby "Castro", or iron age settlement, well preserved and,typically for Spain, entry and tourist info all free, and in English!
We then did a day trip to Santiago De Compostela. You cannot fail to be impressed by the Cathedral and the history that surrounds it. Seeing so many devout pilgrims making a journey physically, but I suspect also mentally and emotionally, made us reflect on on our journey so far. The city is totally geared up for visitors of course, since they've been coming here for centuries!

The Rias are beautiful and generally peaceful apart from the endless fishing activity on all scales...., sorry I mean big and wee boats, day and night.
The other drama this week was provided by the forest fires. They have burned all week among the hills around us. We would see clouds of brown smoke rise, sometimes many miles away, then the big yellow planes circle, land on the water in the Ria and scoop up their cargo of tons of water to deliver it from high above the burning forest. (see picture above) There was also a helicopter that circled with a bag hanging from it, a proper water-bomb!
Our neighbours witnessed a discussion in a local shop where an elderly man suggested that the fires were being started deliberately so that the Bombardiers would get paid more! his solution, "bring back Franco, he would sort them out!"....
We saw areas of hillside that had burned right to the doorsteps of houses. Apparently much of the woodlands are Eucalyptus, which explained the lovely sweet smell we would awaken to, the ash over the decks was however less welcome!
We enjoyed a couple of memorable evenings watching the sunset from the Real Club Nautico balcony. A layer of brown smoke from the fires, backlit by the sun, sat above the water contrasting with the normal pink and red skyscape.....fire in the sky!
Comments
Vessel Name: Malibu
Vessel Make/Model: Oyster 406
Hailing Port: Troon
Crew: Andrew and Yvonne
About: Andrew and Yvonne have upped sticks and left Scotland in their floating home heading South plan flexible!
Extra: The purpose of our blog is primarily to keep family and friends informed of our whereabouts and activities. You can see our last reported position on "Maps" plotted on google earth.

Who: Andrew and Yvonne
Port: Troon