Maltese Falcon

18 April 2016 | Marina Di ragusa
09 January 2014 | Canada
27 August 2012
04 February 2012 | Marmaris Yacht Marina
18 November 2011 | Marmaris Yacht Marina
30 October 2011 | Marmaris / Rhodes

Turkish Visa update

04 February 2012 | Marmaris Yacht Marina
Mario Borg
It is now official, everyone requires a new visa after Feb 1st 2012.
Before this new law came into effect one would head over to Rhodes by ferry and return the same day and you will be issued a new 90 day visa and you could do that as many time as you want.
But the new law states that all visitors to Turkey coming by plane or boat or other means will be given a 90 day visa for a period of 180 days. Meaning that you will be given an entry visa valid for 90 days when the 90 days are used you will have to travel out of Turkey and wait another 90 days before you can return to Turkey, at which time you will be given another 90 day visa (90 in 180 days) this is not making the marine industry very happy as they are about to loose a lot of customers. The other option is to apply for a 6month to 5 year resident permit but you will need a contract from the marina you will be staying at or a lease contract if you are renting an apartment for the length of time that you require the visa. This option is not cheap and things get a little complicated on your second year as you will have to fork out about $100/person for state health care insurance. So check this all out before making your plans and get all the quotes required before venturing on.
We have heard from good sources that the marina industry owners are in Ankara lobbing the government for options so it will not be a devastating year next year and beyond.
Having said all that, it is no different than the Schengen Area law. The difference is that not many of the EU countries really enforce it. Turkey is just doing this to come in line with EU Schengen Area law. We are not sure if they will enforce it but I wouldn't take a chance of a heft fine.
We will have to just wait and see.
This new law doesn't effect us, we will be leaving Turkey by mid to end of April of 2012.


Comments
Vessel Name: Maltese Falcon
Vessel Make/Model: Corbin 39
Hailing Port: Toronto
Crew: Lillian & Mario Borg
About:
We are both retired we have one son Keith, living in Tsawwassen BC he is married to Christina and they have a boy Tate 15 years old and girl Taylie 13 years old. We lived in the Toronto Canada area for the past 35 years. We originally came from the island of Malta in the Mediterranean. [...]
Extra: SSCA Members status Commodores

Adventure seekers

Who: Lillian & Mario Borg
Port: Toronto