Maltese Falcon

18 April 2016 | Marina Di ragusa
09 January 2014 | Canada
27 August 2012
04 February 2012 | Marmaris Yacht Marina
18 November 2011 | Marmaris Yacht Marina
30 October 2011 | Marmaris / Rhodes

Malta Info

09 January 2014 | Canada
Mario Borg
THE MALTESE ARCHIPELEGO

I am writing this article from the deepest part of my heart as this is my beloved homeland which I love very much but I will try not to be biased with my opinions, as this might misinform my readers. So I will tell you the facts as they are.
This is a land with a long history that dates back to prehistoric times as indicated by the many fossilized remains at Ghar Dalam which dates back to when the archipelago was connected to North Africa and the Europe, the islands have more historical sites per square kilometer than any other place on earth. Its geographical position in the center of the Mediterranean Sea makes it a very convenient and attractive place for many nations that have since invaded or tried to invade it.
The archipelago is comprised of three inhabited islands, Malta the largest; Gozo second largest and Comino the third largest, Filfla is to the south west of Malta but is uninhabited except for the legendary two headed lizard which I have never encountered, anyway this small island the size of two football fields is strictly off limits to visitors.
The native language is derived from the times of the Phoenicians but written in the Latin alphabet and a mixture of European derived words . Most of the population speaks fluent English and a large part also speaks Italian due to the proximity of Italy only 50 miles to the north. The people are very friendly and hospitable and ready to go out of their way to help.
The islands are 8th in the list cars per capita therefore it can be quite hectic driving around the islands at certain times of the day. But don't let that keep you away. During the summer months it becomes a tourist haven with many cruise ships and fly in passengers arriving every day. There is so much to see and do that the cruise ship passengers only get a taste of what is available during the short time they visit, after getting a taste most of them come back for more later.
The main attractions are the Capital City, Valletta, a fortified city overlooking the Grand Harbour to the south and Marsamxett harbour to the north. Within the city, which was built after the Knights of Malta and the Maltese citizens repelled the mighty Ottoman Empire during the Great Siege of 1565 one finds himself surrounded by baroque architecture designed by European architects commissioned by the Knights of Malta. There is also the famous St John's Cathedral with a museum inside where one finds many masterpieces of art namely the beheading of John the Baptist by the infamous Caravaggio, and tapestry brought here from many parts of Europe dating back to the sixteenth century. The History museum, the Art Gallery, the Armoury where one can see authentic suits of armour and other war items dating back the times of The Knights of Malta, they are all a must see attractions. Not to be missed is the spectacular view from Upper Barracca Gardens of the three fortified cities across the Grand Harbour.
Away from the city is plethora of historical sites special mention would be Mdina known locally as the silent city, the Neolithic temples of Hagar Qim, Mnajdra, Tarxien and Ggantia over on Gozo. While visiting the citadel of Mdina you can walk a short distance to the Roman Villa.
Try the Maltese cuisine, most famous of all and also the most affordable are the pastizzi which is a phylio pastry filled with cheese or beans both delicious but not very healthy worth a try and don't worry it will not kill you at least not right away, just enjoy it, Then there is the Maltese ftira a flat type bread similar to the Maltese bread but drawn a little flatter, comes with olive oil tuna salad and tomato paste, just the right thing for a midday break, the rabbit dish this is the Typical Maltese Dish comes either with spaghetti or French fries, served in most Maltese oriented restaurants with a cost average of €14.00 per person worth every cent.
If you visit Malta by boat during the summer months you are treated to a number of very nice and safe anchorages, one can choose to be at the hearth of the night life or secluded in a bay with nothing around except clear waters and beautiful scenery. Most are safe anchorages as the weather during the summer months is stable but one should always keep an eye on the weather forecasts as some NW can be very strong even during the summer months. Check this very informative website for detailed information:
www.maritimedirectory.com.mt/cruising.asp
Comments
Vessel Name: Maltese Falcon
Vessel Make/Model: Corbin 39
Hailing Port: Toronto
Crew: Lillian & Mario Borg
About:
We are both retired we have one son Keith, living in Tsawwassen BC he is married to Christina and they have a boy Tate 15 years old and girl Taylie 13 years old. We lived in the Toronto Canada area for the past 35 years. We originally came from the island of Malta in the Mediterranean. [...]
Extra: SSCA Members status Commodores

Adventure seekers

Who: Lillian & Mario Borg
Port: Toronto