Maly Voyage 2007

VOYAGE ON HOLD!!!

22 August 2007 | Back in Sydney
02 August 2007 | Airlie Beach
19 July 2007 | Nara Inlet
08 July 2007 | Luncheon Bay
07 July 2007 | Hardies Reef
06 July 2007 | Luncheon Bay
05 July 2007 | Nara Inlet
04 July 2007 | Abel Point Marina
03 July 2007 | Airlie Beach
22 June 2007 | Back at Hamilton Island
09 June 2007 | CID Harbour
29 May 2007 | Hamilton Island Marina
28 May 2007 | Shaw Island, Whitsunday Group
26 May 2007 | Goldsmith Island
24 May 2007 | Brampton Island
23 May 2007 | Percy Island Group
22 May 2007 | Pearl Bay
19 May 2007 | Rosslyn, Yeepoon
17 May 2007 | Great Keppel Island
15 May 2007 | Lady Musgrave Island

Anchored at Shaw Island

28 May 2007 | Shaw Island, Whitsunday Group
Frank
We have now moved onto Shaw Island, which is a far more sheltered anchorage with very good holding. We headed off to the beach and explored the shell covered beach.

The previous night at Goldsmith Island was not too good. This anchorage is very tight. You enter the bay and need to navigate a small section of sand inbetween coral reefs... not very easy. So we did this and dropped anchor... YAY...

Later in the evening I went upstairs to check the depth....mmmmm..... based on tide calculations, and the fact that low tide was due at 2am, it looked like we were going to drag on the bottom if we swung towards the reef!!!! NOT GOOD.
So I did the calculations again, and watch the depth sounder, and I was now 100% sure we needed to move.....

It's dark, real dark, so its on with the navigation lights, radar and plotter.... I tried the next bay up, but this was much more unstable, so we returned to the previous bay and tried to locate an anchorage further away from the reef. We tried to do this and were partially successful....

I recalculated the tide changes and found that we should be safe at low tide, 2am.... BUT!!! I layed out 25m of chain, and because I was inbetween sand and reef, the chain was dragging on coral every now and then.... This makes a hell of a noise in the boat.... not to mention the re-sculpting of the coral!!!! It was only fringe coral, so I was not too worried.... I did not get much sleep that night.... next morning we were off to Shaw Island, which is right next door to Lindeman Island.

A far better sleep, and a far more sheltered location.

Tomorrow (29th) we are off to Hamilton Island.
If you would like some more details I have updated our family website, www.malyfamily.com

thanks
Frank, out
Comments
Vessel Name: Glenerik
Vessel Make/Model: Salthouse 55 Foot Motor Cruiser
Hailing Port: Port Hacking
Crew: Frank, Monica, Erik and Glen
About: Frank and Monica have set sail with their two childern, Erik (11) and Glen (10) have set sail for a 6 month, East Coast of Australia Cruise. Erik and Glen will "boat" school during this time.
Extra: The Maly's are off on a 6 month trip from Sydney to Thursday Island and return. Making our way slowly north, taking in many ports on the way. Visitors are very much weclome. Keep in contact.

Maly Voyage 2007

Who: Frank, Monica, Erik and Glen
Port: Port Hacking