Maly Voyage 2007

VOYAGE ON HOLD!!!

22 August 2007 | Back in Sydney
02 August 2007 | Airlie Beach
19 July 2007 | Nara Inlet
08 July 2007 | Luncheon Bay
07 July 2007 | Hardies Reef
06 July 2007 | Luncheon Bay
05 July 2007 | Nara Inlet
04 July 2007 | Abel Point Marina
03 July 2007 | Airlie Beach
22 June 2007 | Back at Hamilton Island
09 June 2007 | CID Harbour
29 May 2007 | Hamilton Island Marina
28 May 2007 | Shaw Island, Whitsunday Group
26 May 2007 | Goldsmith Island
24 May 2007 | Brampton Island
23 May 2007 | Percy Island Group
22 May 2007 | Pearl Bay
19 May 2007 | Rosslyn, Yeepoon
17 May 2007 | Great Keppel Island
15 May 2007 | Lady Musgrave Island

One night amongst the coral...

26 May 2007 | Goldsmith Island
Frank
A night to remember here.....

In the cruising guide, the author recommends this island as a nice and secure anchorage.... well....

This island is surrounded my coral reefs, and one of the bays has a sandy section that you can duck into and anchor. So I followed the book and anchored in this sandy stretch, outside of the coral... All's well.

Later that night I calculated the amount of water under the boat at low tide (this being 2am at night)... seemed OK... plenty of water... I sat upstairs at the helm for a little while, and as the boat swung on the anchor (it was very windy that night) I noticed that sometimes we swung into very shallow water.... oh poo! This meant that at 2am, if the wind would blow us around we would hit the coral.... this is definitely not good..... (one of the rules of boating, do not hit the coral reef at 2am in the morning...!!!)

So I started the engines, and pulled up the anchor and tried to find another place to anchor. It's dark, very dark, so I am fully on instruments... plotter, radar, forward looking sonar...etc..etc...

I decide to move to the next bay, north of where we are currently. As it turns out it's less protected... I decide to go back to the previous location.

I anchor further out from the island, and therefore I have plenty of water under the boat. Problem is I also have plenty of chain out.... Because it was so windy, and the wind tends to swirl around, the boat is continually swinging on the anchor.... The chain would occasionally scrap on fringing rock and coral, which is transmitted very well up the anchor chain and amplified through the hull of the boat....

I was up and down wll night until after 2am, keeping an eye on the depth. As it turned out, everything was OK, but we decided to get out of there first thing in the morning....

Frank, out
Comments
Vessel Name: Glenerik
Vessel Make/Model: Salthouse 55 Foot Motor Cruiser
Hailing Port: Port Hacking
Crew: Frank, Monica, Erik and Glen
About: Frank and Monica have set sail with their two childern, Erik (11) and Glen (10) have set sail for a 6 month, East Coast of Australia Cruise. Erik and Glen will "boat" school during this time.
Extra: The Maly's are off on a 6 month trip from Sydney to Thursday Island and return. Making our way slowly north, taking in many ports on the way. Visitors are very much weclome. Keep in contact.

Maly Voyage 2007

Who: Frank, Monica, Erik and Glen
Port: Port Hacking