Maly Voyage 2007

VOYAGE ON HOLD!!!

22 August 2007 | Back in Sydney
02 August 2007 | Airlie Beach
19 July 2007 | Nara Inlet
08 July 2007 | Luncheon Bay
07 July 2007 | Hardies Reef
06 July 2007 | Luncheon Bay
05 July 2007 | Nara Inlet
04 July 2007 | Abel Point Marina
03 July 2007 | Airlie Beach
22 June 2007 | Back at Hamilton Island
09 June 2007 | CID Harbour
29 May 2007 | Hamilton Island Marina
28 May 2007 | Shaw Island, Whitsunday Group
26 May 2007 | Goldsmith Island
24 May 2007 | Brampton Island
23 May 2007 | Percy Island Group
22 May 2007 | Pearl Bay
19 May 2007 | Rosslyn, Yeepoon
17 May 2007 | Great Keppel Island
15 May 2007 | Lady Musgrave Island

11 Days with the Beaks

02 August 2007 | Airlie Beach
Frank
After a great 11 days, the Beaks departed Airlie Beach on the 2nd of August.

We spent a great time together, snorkelling around Butterfly Bay, Luncheons Bay and Manta Ray Bay.

The wind was up a little, so the open ocean was a little rough. We headed to Border Island after our adventures at Manta Ray Bay.

Border Island was a little uncomfortable (actually, due to the sea conditions, this was probably one of the most swelly mooring locations yet!!). The snorkelling was very good, with many caves tucked into the coral beds.

After Border Island we sea course for Whitehaven Beach. The first day was patchy sun, but the next day we ventured to Hill Inlet and the sun was shining. We saw many sting rays throughout the inlet.

After Whitehaven we travelled to Hamilton Island for a few days on land. Dinner, cocktails at One Tree Hill, go-karts, site seeing and shopping.... Had a great few days.... it was a great rest stop on the island.

Next we kept an eye on the weather and we were lucky enough to have calm conditions after all the SE winds that were blowing for many days. So we decided to head off to Knuckle Reef.

The trip out was very calm, and we made it to Knuckle Reef. I managed to talk to one of the captains of a charter boat and he gave me the waypoints to approaching Knuckle Reef. Sadly, it was very much overstated... the coral and fish life was far in superior to Hardies Reef. So on the way back from Knuckle Reef we stopped off at Hardies Reef. I radioed the Reef World pontoon and lucky enough they had a swing mooring available!

We made contact with the caretaker on the pontoon, (Chris) and he was extremely friendly and helpful. We went snorkeling within the Reefworld area (not as good as the outside area away from reefworld.... Anyway, it was good to do that as well.
That night we went back to the pontoon and had a few drinks with the guys on the pontoon and had a chat. It was great. The next morning they invited us to take a sub ride over the reef and to feed the very large Queensland Cod that lives under the pontoon.

The sub was great, a very different view of the reef.... Looks more like a large picture of the reef, rather that the view you get through your face mask when snorkeling.

Everyone had a great time snorkeling around Hardies Reef, probably the best snorkeling we have done. Next it was off to Butterfly Bay, and then back to Airlie Beach.

The Beaks departed on Thursday the 2nd of August, and how we plan to head off to Bowen and further north. Our next update will be when we arrive in Bowen (Monday the 6th)
Frank out...
Comments
Vessel Name: Glenerik
Vessel Make/Model: Salthouse 55 Foot Motor Cruiser
Hailing Port: Port Hacking
Crew: Frank, Monica, Erik and Glen
About: Frank and Monica have set sail with their two childern, Erik (11) and Glen (10) have set sail for a 6 month, East Coast of Australia Cruise. Erik and Glen will "boat" school during this time.
Extra: The Maly's are off on a 6 month trip from Sydney to Thursday Island and return. Making our way slowly north, taking in many ports on the way. Visitors are very much weclome. Keep in contact.

Maly Voyage 2007

Who: Frank, Monica, Erik and Glen
Port: Port Hacking