A Cross Ocean Experience

Seven thousand miles of outstanding cruising since November 2008 means it's time to do a little renovation and more planning for the future. Find out what ...

20 February 2013 | Fishtail, Montana, USA
15 March 2011 | Swallow Falls State Park, Garrett County, MD
07 January 2011 | Deep Creek, MD
01 January 2011 | Tacoma, WA
17 December 2010 | Sierra Madre, CA
12 December 2010 | Leucadia, CA
12 December 2010 | Leucadia, Ca
12 December 2010 | Ramona, CA
06 December 2010 | Ramona, CA
06 December 2010 | Ramona, CA
20 November 2010 | New Orleans, LA
13 November 2010 | Lexington, KY
09 November 2010 | Louiville, KY
05 November 2010 | Lexington. KY
01 November 2010 | Deltaville, VA
29 October 2010 | Deltaville, VA
22 October 2010 | Deltaville, VA
08 October 2010 | Deltaville, VA

A candid interview

23 December 2009 | Cienfuegos, Cuba
VC
Q: So Victoria...What did you think of Havana?

A: I was charmed by the place, in the same way that one can be enchanted by the life stories of an ancient person who is ravaged by time and circumstances. Havana is crumbling around its inhabitants, bit its past glory is undeniable. Music is everywhere you go in the city and it takes your breath away. Add to that the astounding Colonial architecture and cobbled streets filled with fifties Chevy, Buik and Ford sedans of all colors and one is gasping at every turn.

Q: What was your favorite part of your visit to Cuba's Capital city?

A: Well, the weather was relatively cold and rainy which made the city seem rather dismal at times. Then several places we had chosen to go from our Lonely Planet Guide book were closed for renovation or forever; who knows. But the Capitolo or Capital building, which looks rather like the White House in Washington, the Gran Teatro de La Habana and the huge old hotels surrounding them are all beautifully preserved.
Rutger and I got stuck under a tree in the Central Plaza during a particularly heavy shower of rain and that turned into a lovely romantic moment. Havana's romance is very catching. So, under that tree in front of the splendid capital was my favorite bit. Once we got a break in the rain we ran for the shelter of a café nearby.

Q: Did the weather improve?

A: The wind was very strong from the north and it brought cold off the eastern United States. We walked out to the Malecon and the surf was crashing right over the sea wall onto the street. The police had to close the boardwalk and street because of all the water coming over. It did not rain more than the one morning but it did stay rather cool our whole trip.

Q: What are you planning to do over Christmas?

A: Not too much I think. There are several boats here from Spain, Sweden, Poland, Canada as well as Germany of course, so there may be a party on the marina dock. Since it is still quite cool I have been baking a few Christmas treats full of spices and dried fruit. Rutger likes that, and it feels quite festive at night with candles and our Christmas lights.

Thanks for sharing your trip to Havana with us, maybe one day we will all be able to visit.

Comments
Vessel Name: Mandy
Vessel Make/Model: Bristol Channel Cutter 28 - http://www.capegeorgecutters.com/BCC28/index.html
Hailing Port: San Diego, CA USA
Crew: Richard & Virginia Cross
About:
Having spent 30 years in the racehorse business we felt it was time for a different kind of adventure. Both originally from England we have sailed for fun for over 30 years. We have owned MANDY for five of those and are planning to head south for Mexico etc. in November 2008 - ready or not. [...]

There Goes Mandy!

Who: Richard & Virginia Cross
Port: San Diego, CA USA