A Cross Ocean Experience

Seven thousand miles of outstanding cruising since November 2008 means it's time to do a little renovation and more planning for the future. Find out what ...

20 February 2013 | Fishtail, Montana, USA
15 March 2011 | Swallow Falls State Park, Garrett County, MD
07 January 2011 | Deep Creek, MD
01 January 2011 | Tacoma, WA
17 December 2010 | Sierra Madre, CA
12 December 2010 | Leucadia, CA
12 December 2010 | Leucadia, Ca
12 December 2010 | Ramona, CA
06 December 2010 | Ramona, CA
06 December 2010 | Ramona, CA
20 November 2010 | New Orleans, LA
13 November 2010 | Lexington, KY
09 November 2010 | Louiville, KY
05 November 2010 | Lexington. KY
01 November 2010 | Deltaville, VA
29 October 2010 | Deltaville, VA
22 October 2010 | Deltaville, VA
08 October 2010 | Deltaville, VA

Business Opportunity

05 February 2010 | Matthew Town, Great Inagua, Bahamas
VC
Discouraged with the current economic trends in the U.S. or Europe? Are you an innovative self starter? Do you have good organizational skills, are you a people person? Would you enjoy living on "island time"?

If you answer yes to any or all of the above, there is a business crying out for your attention in Matthew Town, Great Inagua, Bahamas. This is the most southern and one of the largest islands in the Bahamian chain, lying just fifty miles north east of Cuba. For cruising boats entering the country from the Dominican Republic, Haiti, Cuba or Jamaica the stop at Matthew Town to rest, clear customs and re-supply is important and should be gratifying. Sadly this is not the case.

The boat basin, where customs inspections are obligatory, is a disaster zone. It is subject to large ocean swells and what little room there is for maneuvering is hogged by half sunken trawlers and sundry maritime craft. We arrived the same day as another cruising boat and since we both needed to check in, had to "raft up" on the wall as there was no other space. Once secured to the wall, the dock is strewn with rubble, rusty cable and scrap metal. There is a "phantom phone booth" whose phone was long ago disgorged, leaving an explosion of wires and glass. The office building is ramshackle and although there is a toilet open, the showers were locked and out of commission. For this mess each boat is charged $6.00 per day. A night spent in the boat basin is to be avoided as the wrecked trawlers are home to armies of hungry mosquitoes who like nothing more than skuzzy sailor for their midnight snack. The whole experience is unpleasant, but it only requires some muscle and a hauling truck to make a significant difference. Then some diligent work to re-establish the facilities, retain willing maintenance workers from the under-employed settlement residents and build a break from the swell to protect harbored boats.

Great Inagua has a falling population of 900 residents, half of whom are employed by the Morton Salt Company, where salt is dried out from the ocean in the hot Bahamian sun and wind and piled ready for shipment on large cargo ships. There used to be a movie theatre in town, now there is not even a playground for the town's children and with no prospects the youth of the island leave and properties are left derelict. A well run marina facility, leased from the government would supply work for countless people. The town's services would all get a shot in the arm with visiting, happy cruising folks re-supplying their boats before venturing further up the island chain. Eventually a small café with internet (already on the island) and easy access to water and diesel, a few waving palms and Adirondack chairs would make it a must stay destination. The people who we met in town were incredibly welcoming and helpful and it would reflect their positive outlook if arrivals by boat were greeted by order instead of chaos.
The island's lighthouse is well worth the hike out to the point, and if one climbs all the way to the top, one is rewarded by stunning views of crashing surf, coral heads, the wildlife preserve, the salt flats and a dazzling flock of flamingoes.

If we did not have other pots to boil we might have gone further than dreaming about it. Anyone out there interested in the challenge?
Comments
Vessel Name: Mandy
Vessel Make/Model: Bristol Channel Cutter 28 - http://www.capegeorgecutters.com/BCC28/index.html
Hailing Port: San Diego, CA USA
Crew: Richard & Virginia Cross
About:
Having spent 30 years in the racehorse business we felt it was time for a different kind of adventure. Both originally from England we have sailed for fun for over 30 years. We have owned MANDY for five of those and are planning to head south for Mexico etc. in November 2008 - ready or not. [...]

There Goes Mandy!

Who: Richard & Virginia Cross
Port: San Diego, CA USA