Following the Moon

23 April 2017 | Somewhere in the Sea of Cortez
12 March 2017 | Punta de Mita
24 February 2017 | La Cruz de Huanacaxtle
16 February 2017 | somewhere between Tenacatita and Puerto Vallarta
03 February 2017 | Banderas Bay
01 January 2017 | Mazatlan, Mexico
09 December 2016 | Marina Mazatlan
27 November 2016 | Marina Mazatlan
22 November 2016
19 November 2016
15 November 2016
14 November 2016 | Still in CDA
09 November 2016

Heading North

12 March 2017 | Punta de Mita
Greetings from the anchorage off Punta de Mita, just a few miles north of La Cruz. We had a wonderful time in that quaint fishing village, and were sad to leave this morning. Our days were filled with yoga, good food, cold beer, warm sunshine, friendly people, yummy meals, markets brimming with local crafts and delicious food, talented musicians, swimming, stand-up paddle boarding, and long lazy days.

The marina at La Cruz takes good care of their cruisers. John attended workshops on weather, "when big things go bad" on boats, and diesel engines. Beth participated in a writers' workshop. And we enjoyed free concerts, free movies, swap meets, and delicious meals at the Marina Deli. Last night we had a farewell cocktail in the Yacht Club, and wished we had spent more time there.

Beth worked at various spots in the town, where the Internet was free and robust, and one day even ventured into Puerto Vallarta alone to appease her Starbucks jones.

We celebrated Beth's birthday in Bucerias at a dinner show with Brittany Kingery, a musician that we've seen in Seattle and Key West who dips her toes into the Trop Rock world. We stopped at the Drunken Duck first for pre-concert beers, and had a massage on the beach to start the day. The perfect way to celebrate another trip around the sun!

Last night we danced in the town square with the locals to a band playing Mexican favorites - well, except for Tutti Frutti, in Spanish. The only thing missing was the donut man that we used to visit at the square in Melaque.

We fell in love with La Cruz and its residents, and were so sorry to leave. If you're looking for the perfect little Mexican town to spend a few idyllic weeks/months, check it out. Almost no police presence, kind people, cheap food, nice beaches and sunsets, and a laid back atmosphere.

One day we ventured to Sayulita, a surfing mecca filled with young people. We only had a few hours to wander the streets, but wished we could have spent more time checking out the beaches, restaurants, and bars in this great little town. We did find the perfect funky beach bar, and spent a happy hour there.

Now we're heading back to Mazatlan, planning to spend a week on the journey. Not sure of our anchorages or schedule, or if/when we'll have Internet. But we'll check back in once we get to the big city. Wish you were sailing with us!
Comments
Vessel Name: Mangata
Vessel Make/Model: 1988 Hunter
Hailing Port: Mazatlan, Sinaloa, Mexico
Crew: John and Beth