MangoandMe

14 December 2012
30 June 2012 | ASCENSION ISLAND
30 June 2012 | ASCENSION ISLAND
04 June 2012
28 May 2012 | St Helena, South Atlantic Ocean
28 May 2012 | St Helena, South Atlantic Ocean
25 May 2012 | Riviera Beach, Florida
23 May 2012 | Riviera Marina, Riviera Beach FL
23 May 2012 | Riviera Beach Marina, Riviera Beach, Florida
19 May 2012 | En route to Riviera Beach, Florida
18 May 2012 | En route to Riviera Beach, Florida
17 May 2012 | En route to Riviera Beach, Florida
16 May 2012 | En route to Riviera Beach, Florida
15 May 2012 | En route to Riviera Beach, Florida
14 May 2012 | En route to Florida
13 May 2012 | Destination:Riviera Beach Marina, Riviera Beach, Florida
12 May 2012 | Destination:Florida
11 May 2012 | On the way to the Caribbean

800 MILES TO CHRISTMAS-REINFORCEMENTS

16 August 2011 | Paralleling the Indonesian Coast
david
As the doldrums of last week recede behind me, I am in the clutches of good strong trade winds. For a few days now, I have been enjoying 10-15 knots of wind pushing me, conservatively rigged with only a jib, at about 5-7kts. However, the latest GRIB files which are a graphic representation of wind and waves, forecast that in the next few days, the waves will reach a rather high 12 feet. If the winds remain as they are, it will be fine. But if the winds increase, we could get into a surfing situation similar to the one off Swain Reef that broke into the bimini top.

So I have been busy with a couple of projects. The first is to devise a way to bring down the jib , to reef the jib, should the winds become strong, without turning Shearwater into the wind. The problem with turning to face the wind is it stops the boat completely, heads it into the wind and the usual accompanying crashing waves. The sails go mad...flapping wildly doing damage to themselves and anything in their path ie ME! So, before dark tonight, in anticipation of the waves ahead, I will be testing that system for real.

The second project has been to 'reinforce' the side bimini windows. If I was to get a direct hit from a wave from the side, the windows could let go drenching major electronic components and engine controls all in the cockpit. So with series of lines, I have crisscrossed the windows on the inside thereby giving support should they get a mighty push from the outside.

So, always lots to do to keep us rolling-after all, Christmas is approaching.
Comments
Vessel Name: Shearwater
Vessel Make/Model: CONSER 47 Racer/Cruiser Catamaran
Hailing Port: West Palm Beach Florida
Crew: MANGO AND ME
About:
Mango is a smart, funny, sensitive and totally unique wheaton/sheepdog. . He is my partner on this patently undoglike voyage but remains cheerful about the whole affair. [...]
Extra: Shearwater is a 47 foot, very sleek and light catamaran. She is part of a fleet of 11 that were built - its a sister ship of Shearwater that holds the unofficial speed record. 31 knots! Of the this fleet, only one has flipped...so we are on the side of good odds!

Who: MANGO AND ME
Port: West Palm Beach Florida