MangoandMe

14 December 2012
30 June 2012 | ASCENSION ISLAND
30 June 2012 | ASCENSION ISLAND
04 June 2012
28 May 2012 | St Helena, South Atlantic Ocean
28 May 2012 | St Helena, South Atlantic Ocean
25 May 2012 | Riviera Beach, Florida
23 May 2012 | Riviera Marina, Riviera Beach FL
23 May 2012 | Riviera Beach Marina, Riviera Beach, Florida
19 May 2012 | En route to Riviera Beach, Florida
18 May 2012 | En route to Riviera Beach, Florida
17 May 2012 | En route to Riviera Beach, Florida
16 May 2012 | En route to Riviera Beach, Florida
15 May 2012 | En route to Riviera Beach, Florida
14 May 2012 | En route to Florida
13 May 2012 | Destination:Riviera Beach Marina, Riviera Beach, Florida
12 May 2012 | Destination:Florida
11 May 2012 | On the way to the Caribbean

SNAPSHOTS OF CHRISTMAS ISLAND(video)

28 August 2011 | Christmas Island
david


SNAPSHOTS OF CHRISTMAS ISLAND

Christmas Island is indeed a fascinating island and very much off the beaten track. Volcanic with high cliffs reaching down into the sea. The interior varies from lush green almost rainforest to dry river beds, Banion trees and Australian scrub. Economically, the island relies on two industries, the phosphate mine and the now famous asylum-seekers detention center. Tourism seems to be a take it or leave it proposition and certainly no efforts were made for the yachts that came into 'port'. Of the original 5 moorings NONE were operational leaving a very difficult anchoring situation for all who come - deep water and coral-perfect to lose your anchor on. The people are a combination of Malay, Chinese and Australian with a strong muslim presence evident by the many mosques and call to prayers.

I toured the island with the family Stellamans who during the day gave a presentation to the local school children on their round the world voyage.

Varied and colorful sites: grottos fed by underwater caves and passages; blowholes, fascinating, at the edge of the cliffs with their high pressure spouts of white cold water and steam; waterfalls and much more.

Unique birds, some only found here, frigates, red footed boobies(Galapagos has the blue footed ones) and cockatiel-looking birds called Bosuns. Actually what makes this island famous from the naturalist point of view is the spectacular annual migration of "tens of millions" of brilliant red crabs. Every year in November they trek from the middle of the island to the shores to mate and release their eggs in the sea. In fact, imposing red signs at almost every major intersection advertise which roads are closed due to this mighty march. And then there is the 'robber' crabs...unique in shape and their penchant for carting away anything that one may leave around.

Finally a visit to the local park ranger who every afternoon at precisely 4:30 is met by a whole host of frigate birds expecting their daily handout of fish. Frigates are scavengers and in fact, as I would sit on the boat, I would often hear a rather desperate, raspy sound from above. A quick look will usually reveal 5 or more frigates chasing a terrified booby that has just caught a fish. And predictably, through this intimidation the booby usually drops his catch and....the frigates eat.

It was an all too quick visit to an island that really deserves days admiring its uniqueness. Here I offer a few quick unedited snapshots of Christmas Island.
Comments
Vessel Name: Shearwater
Vessel Make/Model: CONSER 47 Racer/Cruiser Catamaran
Hailing Port: West Palm Beach Florida
Crew: MANGO AND ME
About:
Mango is a smart, funny, sensitive and totally unique wheaton/sheepdog. . He is my partner on this patently undoglike voyage but remains cheerful about the whole affair. [...]
Extra: Shearwater is a 47 foot, very sleek and light catamaran. She is part of a fleet of 11 that were built - its a sister ship of Shearwater that holds the unofficial speed record. 31 knots! Of the this fleet, only one has flipped...so we are on the side of good odds!

Who: MANGO AND ME
Port: West Palm Beach Florida