MangoandMe

14 December 2012
30 June 2012 | ASCENSION ISLAND
30 June 2012 | ASCENSION ISLAND
04 June 2012
28 May 2012 | St Helena, South Atlantic Ocean
28 May 2012 | St Helena, South Atlantic Ocean
25 May 2012 | Riviera Beach, Florida
23 May 2012 | Riviera Marina, Riviera Beach FL
23 May 2012 | Riviera Beach Marina, Riviera Beach, Florida
19 May 2012 | En route to Riviera Beach, Florida
18 May 2012 | En route to Riviera Beach, Florida
17 May 2012 | En route to Riviera Beach, Florida
16 May 2012 | En route to Riviera Beach, Florida
15 May 2012 | En route to Riviera Beach, Florida
14 May 2012 | En route to Florida
13 May 2012 | Destination:Riviera Beach Marina, Riviera Beach, Florida
12 May 2012 | Destination:Florida
11 May 2012 | On the way to the Caribbean

TORTUGA LOG

24 October 2011 | On the way to S Africa
Eduardo Nixon
As I sit in Mauritius, waiting...I have reread the log of my colleague and friend Eduardo and his wife Lourdes. They made this identical passage in their monohull, "Tortuga", almost exactly a year ago. I thought you might be interested in his words, his views and emotions as he approached this famous Agulhas current near the shores of S Africa.

TORTUGA Log, - November 5 - 2010 (excerpt)
• Day 12 Mauritius to Durban, RSA (Republic of South Africa)
• Current Location - S 29°- 13' , E 032°- 10' - Indian Ocean, GMT +2

...Soon after Madagascar is the Mozambique Channel with the famous Agulhas Current. This crossing must be made between low pressure systems moving East-Northeast up the African eastern coast. It must be done !!

But other than than having my heart in my throat for the last few days and getting tighter, things are OK. Winds are good and we are saling close (about 11 miles apart) to another sailboat heading in the same direction. We are trying to keep up as the owner and skipper, a 34 yr. old, comes from a sailboat racing family in Capetown, so they have lots of home experience and they closing their circumnavigation. We figure if they go - we go. We are just keeping up because they are babying it due to some not very serious rigging problems. They are our angels on this passage !!! I hope they don't pick up too much speed and leave us far behind.

Well I will say goodnight and write what the charts say. Now here is where those freak abnormal waves are found. To quote shortly from the chart:

"It is the interaction between the strong southwesterly wind and the strong south flowing current which at times can reach 6 knots that creates monstrous freak waves, of up to 20 metres in height, preceded by deep troughs"

See you all later. Its time like the next two weeks I'd REALLY would like to be back at work!!

Eduardo and Jimmy


TORTUGA Log, Sunday, 14 - November - 2010
• Day 219 from El Salvador
• Day 12 Mauritius to Durban, RSA (Republic of South Africa)
• Current Location - S 29°- 13' , E 032°- 10' - Indian Ocean, GMT +2

We are currently in the middle of the Agulhas current making our way towards the shore - crabbing into into it. We ned to get closer to the 200 meter deep line contour in order to turn more southward. The reason is that climate (the bad SW winds) can change in one hour from what we have to real dangerous situation. Fortunately according to our weather report this will not happen until tommorow midday. We were hoping to get in by 10 PM, although I have never made a port approach at night we would need to make this one. So I am HOPING and praying to get to the channel entrance by 6 PM. This may happen with the boost we are getting from the current.

Currently motoring with a breeze in back and riding the Agulhas Current. It is giving us a boost of about 3 mph right now. As we turn more to the southward it should increase some.

TORTGA feels the current. She acts different, and feels different !! I do not have even close to the right words to describe this current. It is imposing, all controlling, majestic, SUPER POWERFUL !!!! It tells you watch for me as I have the power to generate seas like you cannot imagine being in. And she will do it with the right combination of winds.

We l;eave you with the good news that our ETA channel entrance to Durban may be aprox 6 PM. Helps us pray so we can get in before dark.

Thank you all for your support !!
Eduardo and Jimmy



Comments
Vessel Name: Shearwater
Vessel Make/Model: CONSER 47 Racer/Cruiser Catamaran
Hailing Port: West Palm Beach Florida
Crew: MANGO AND ME
About:
Mango is a smart, funny, sensitive and totally unique wheaton/sheepdog. . He is my partner on this patently undoglike voyage but remains cheerful about the whole affair. [...]
Extra: Shearwater is a 47 foot, very sleek and light catamaran. She is part of a fleet of 11 that were built - its a sister ship of Shearwater that holds the unofficial speed record. 31 knots! Of the this fleet, only one has flipped...so we are on the side of good odds!

Who: MANGO AND ME
Port: West Palm Beach Florida