LAST CHANCE STOP
15 January 2012 | Off the southern coast of Africa
With barely 200 miles to go before rounding the lowest point of the African continent, Cape Agulhas, the winds have come up. They force me to face a rather difficult decision. Do I go on and risk what seems some highish winds at the cape or do I take my last chance and head NW about 80 miles to a place called Mossel Bay and once again...wait. The weather forecasts call for moderate winds ahead. But are they right? At the moment they are calling for 15-20 knots which is doable. But its not far wrong on their part if it was to become 30 knots! And that reaches the risky threshold for the rounding. I have conferred with some boats on this same leg/weather window and all are rather comfortable with pushing on. In fact, Im the only one asking the question. We will have one more NET in approximately 30 minutes - we will all listen anxiously for the latest weather forecast - then, we/I have to decide. Stop or go on. Once I go past Mossel Bay, there,s no turning back.