MangoandMe

14 December 2012
30 June 2012 | ASCENSION ISLAND
30 June 2012 | ASCENSION ISLAND
04 June 2012
28 May 2012 | St Helena, South Atlantic Ocean
28 May 2012 | St Helena, South Atlantic Ocean
25 May 2012 | Riviera Beach, Florida
23 May 2012 | Riviera Marina, Riviera Beach FL
23 May 2012 | Riviera Beach Marina, Riviera Beach, Florida
19 May 2012 | En route to Riviera Beach, Florida
18 May 2012 | En route to Riviera Beach, Florida
17 May 2012 | En route to Riviera Beach, Florida
16 May 2012 | En route to Riviera Beach, Florida
15 May 2012 | En route to Riviera Beach, Florida
14 May 2012 | En route to Florida
13 May 2012 | Destination:Riviera Beach Marina, Riviera Beach, Florida
12 May 2012 | Destination:Florida
11 May 2012 | On the way to the Caribbean

FACTS AND FIGURES

20 February 2012 | In the South Atlantic
david
Today finds Shearwater and me about 800 miles from Capetown and about 900 miles to go to the rather famous island of St Helena - Napoleon's island. The morning broke with what looked to be a day of rain, darkish clouds in all directions. Thankfully however, the sun prevailed, the clouds dissipated and we have been instead treated to a perfect, bright, hot day. Around noon we seemed to be heading into a becalmed state with the autopilots almost losing control of the boat due to the 1/2 knot speed. But, that too has passed and now we are screaming along at 4 knots!

How I always welcome the sun for it brings many good tidings to the boat. First of all it activates my 8 solar panels, recharging the batteries that are usually somewhat drained after a night of hard work keeping, amongst other things, the autopilot and fridge going - both very hungry entities. Next, the boat, living on a bed of water with consequent high humidity, feeds most generously the creatures of mold - the sun heads them off. And finally and most importantly, it keeps my spirits in a more optimistic state for there are many aspects to this endeavor that can lead to a dispirited state... grey, rain and cold are just some of them...the sun battles them mightily.

As we glide along the surface of this South Atlantic Ocean, it always boggles my mind imagining the depths of these great oceans. At the present moment when I look at the chart, there is more than 15000 feet beneath my keels. And that brings me to underwater mountains, for barely a few miles to my left, a sea mountain peak soars upward and nearly breaks the surface stopping short at only 60 feet!...this particular sea mount is called the Valdiva Bank - to be avoided in stormy weather.

So, a few facts and figures for the day as we proceed on course at 333 magnetic, 975 days after leaving Florida.

Comments
Vessel Name: Shearwater
Vessel Make/Model: CONSER 47 Racer/Cruiser Catamaran
Hailing Port: West Palm Beach Florida
Crew: MANGO AND ME
About:
Mango is a smart, funny, sensitive and totally unique wheaton/sheepdog. . He is my partner on this patently undoglike voyage but remains cheerful about the whole affair. [...]
Extra: Shearwater is a 47 foot, very sleek and light catamaran. She is part of a fleet of 11 that were built - its a sister ship of Shearwater that holds the unofficial speed record. 31 knots! Of the this fleet, only one has flipped...so we are on the side of good odds!

Who: MANGO AND ME
Port: West Palm Beach Florida