MangoandMe

14 December 2012
30 June 2012 | ASCENSION ISLAND
30 June 2012 | ASCENSION ISLAND
04 June 2012
28 May 2012 | St Helena, South Atlantic Ocean
28 May 2012 | St Helena, South Atlantic Ocean
25 May 2012 | Riviera Beach, Florida
23 May 2012 | Riviera Marina, Riviera Beach FL
23 May 2012 | Riviera Beach Marina, Riviera Beach, Florida
19 May 2012 | En route to Riviera Beach, Florida
18 May 2012 | En route to Riviera Beach, Florida
17 May 2012 | En route to Riviera Beach, Florida
16 May 2012 | En route to Riviera Beach, Florida
15 May 2012 | En route to Riviera Beach, Florida
14 May 2012 | En route to Florida
13 May 2012 | Destination:Riviera Beach Marina, Riviera Beach, Florida
12 May 2012 | Destination:Florida
11 May 2012 | On the way to the Caribbean

THE HEART OF THE MATTER

09 May 2012 | On the way to the Caribbean
david
It sits down at the lowest point of the boat. Its dark in there. It waits silently. Insulated, protected, its fed only the cleanest, triple, quadruple filtered - all vital fluids, changed, revitalized - on schedule. No less than 50 cables, wires, hoses, emanate from it to every corner of the boat and back. Like the human heart and its pact with the body, all must sacrifice, saving it, and it alone, as the last resort.

And as one plies the seas, only that block of metal in the bowels of the boat is going allow you into a complicated harbor, safely. No sail is going to pull you against a raging current with ragged shores on either side. Its night and as your batteries fade, only it can save them. That monster of the sea, the supertanker, bearing down on you unexpectedly...

So, this morning at 3AM when I noticed the batteries 'fading', no sun nor wind to help, I confidently appealed to the 'heart of the matter', the engine. And when I turned the key, that nightmarish sound, rehearsed dismally so many times in the silence of my head - there it was...CLUNK, I tried again harder...CLUNK...the engine was dead.

10 hours later, - after reaching out to my friends Clyde and JT in the USA and finding JT of Halden Marine Services and, after speaking on the SSB to Ike and Daniel, both now sailing within 500 miles of me, together we managed to resuscitate the moribund engine. None of us is sure as to the permanence of the fix -starters and solenoids and electrics!

And, one last thing...a catamaran has this great advantage over the monohull - we have TWO engines!
Comments
Vessel Name: Shearwater
Vessel Make/Model: CONSER 47 Racer/Cruiser Catamaran
Hailing Port: West Palm Beach Florida
Crew: MANGO AND ME
About:
Mango is a smart, funny, sensitive and totally unique wheaton/sheepdog. . He is my partner on this patently undoglike voyage but remains cheerful about the whole affair. [...]
Extra: Shearwater is a 47 foot, very sleek and light catamaran. She is part of a fleet of 11 that were built - its a sister ship of Shearwater that holds the unofficial speed record. 31 knots! Of the this fleet, only one has flipped...so we are on the side of good odds!

Who: MANGO AND ME
Port: West Palm Beach Florida