Marcita to the Morbihan

01 August 2016
01 August 2016
26 July 2016
26 July 2016
20 July 2016
17 July 2016
17 July 2016
17 July 2016
19 May 2013
19 May 2013
19 May 2013
19 May 2013
09 May 2013
08 May 2013
08 May 2013
08 May 2013
08 May 2013

Pin Mill to Brest

17 July 2016



This year we're not going to the Morbihan, but to Brest, where 2000 wooden boats gather every four years.
The way here was a game of two halves: beating from pin Mill to Plymouth was 6 days of slamming, soaking, and wondering why we do it. But then from Plymouth to Brest we had TWELVE hours of a beam reach, 10 - 15 kn, Marcita's perfect wind, unknown in my experience, so although long and tiring with three people on a small boat, it was thrilling as well. We arrived at the top of the Chenal du Four at 4 am, with favourable tide down the escalator, and then with the turn of tide round the corner to Brest.
We were met with Catch 22. You can't enter the harbour without a pennant, but you can't get a pennant without entering the harbour. With that sorted there was the usual camaraderie of wooden boaties gathered together on a pontoon, varnish and bunting melding into a golden glow by the late evening sunshinesunshine.
There are about 50 tall ships here, each with a band, including a brilliant tin whistle player on Etoile de France, but I am already slightly over-bagpiped. The man who goes round in circles in a little coracle playing the French Horn while winding a little organ, making lovely funny music, is always a delight. The big Russian 4-master has an entire orchestra among its crew, and they play the Sabre Dance with great spirit. The Polynesian village has 4 beauteous girls swaying elegantly to the most ghastly ersatz Polynesian pop pap.
The only slight frustration is that we are on a floating pontoon with an intermittent taxi service, and the only 6 showers (for 2000 boats) are a half mile walk away. Tomorrow we go out sailing with the big boys.
The picture is of Marcita at the end of the classics pontoon,
Comments
Vessel Name: Marcita
Vessel Make/Model: Buchanan 32 ft wooden-hull racer.
Hailing Port: Pin Mill
Crew: Brian Gascoigne and various Classic Sailing Club members
About: We're all members of the Classic Sailing Club, based in Pin Mill on the river Orwell, which is on the East Coast of England.

Sailing to Brittany

Who: Brian Gascoigne and various Classic Sailing Club members
Port: Pin Mill