Marcita to the Morbihan

01 August 2016
01 August 2016
26 July 2016
26 July 2016
20 July 2016
17 July 2016
17 July 2016
17 July 2016
19 May 2013
19 May 2013
19 May 2013
19 May 2013
09 May 2013
08 May 2013
08 May 2013
08 May 2013
08 May 2013

Loctudy

09 May 2009
Usually on this coast with SWerlies we beat out in the morning, reach and run along the coast and then beat back in in the evening. But today the forecast SW 4-5 turned into a 6 with a big swell.(You know the type - loud check suit, stinks of greed and tells feeble dirty jokes while slapping you on the back.) Well we got the slapping, over the bow and onto our heads, but the strain was a bit much for Marcita's delicate ribs and our old bones. However, once round the Pointe de Penmarc'h, which is the boundary between N and W Brittany, we rolled along nicely. We had been planning to go to the Iles de Glenans, a pretty assortment of rocks with a famous sailing school, but didn't fancy an exposed anchorage with the wind and swell, even though it was supposed to lessen in the afternoon, so we opted for Loctudy instead. This is a picturesque village in the estuary of the Pont L'Abbe river, with 18th C chateaux scattered casually about. The money must have come from the time when enormous fleets of goelettes sailed out to the Grand Banks for 6 months to fish for cod. The cod have gone but the chateaux can be yours for the price of a bedsit in Tooting.

2 vignettes from Loctudy: Loic and Caroline being driven away from their wedding in the vast Romanesque church standing up through the roof of an old green deux chevaux, she a vision of loveliness, he a flat-faced doofus looking as though he couldn't believe his luck. Perhaps he has money, but she didn't look like the kind of girl to marry for money. The other, back on the boat, a heron stalking along the pontoon haughtily surveying the well-stocked mullet larder that all the marinas here are, selecting his supper like a gourmet diner choosing his lobster from the restaurant tank.

It is sunny and beautiful but surprisingly cold. We haven't had a day yet without full foulies. The pic is Loctudy at the magic hour when the fish sirens come out to tempt weary sailors into warm rooms smelling of beer and fish. Amazing how successful they usually are.


Comments
Vessel Name: Marcita
Vessel Make/Model: Buchanan 32 ft wooden-hull racer.
Hailing Port: Pin Mill
Crew: Brian Gascoigne and various Classic Sailing Club members
About: We're all members of the Classic Sailing Club, based in Pin Mill on the river Orwell, which is on the East Coast of England.

Sailing to Brittany

Who: Brian Gascoigne and various Classic Sailing Club members
Port: Pin Mill