Marcita to the Morbihan

01 August 2016
01 August 2016
26 July 2016
26 July 2016
20 July 2016
17 July 2016
17 July 2016
17 July 2016
19 May 2013
19 May 2013
19 May 2013
19 May 2013
09 May 2013
08 May 2013
08 May 2013
08 May 2013
08 May 2013

Morlaix

12 June 2009
48 35.169N:003 50.184W
Morlaix (Orange wifi access rip off, jerk off, f off. Thieves and cheats)

As we were locking in here, Suzalah, a lovely BCYC Buchanan that we've raced on Caressa, was locking out. Very short conversation:
Suzalah: "Hi Brian. Were you at the Semaine du Golfe?"
Us: "Hi Richard. Yes. Are you going South?"
Suzalah: "Sorry we missed it. Yes."
Both: "Bon voyage."

I put this pic up, not to show you parking Morlaix style, but to indicate how narrow the channel up here is - min depth under keel 0m at half tide. But the way in is spectacular - a huge castle on a rock, built to keep out the Brits who kept coming to pillage the place, some beautiful rocks to be avoided, and then a peaceful winding river up which you sail sometimes only feet away from the bank. I picked up a sizeable buoy to wait for the tide, and was woken from a peaceful snooze by the rightful owners claiming it for their large oyster farm boat. They literally picked it up - they used the crane to lift the whole buoy on deck, threaded the line and popped it back in the water. I deduced from the associated jocularity that this was the party trick of the crane operator.

We left Aber Wrac'h in the dark, declining a narrow short cut with spring tides running through it, then downwind along the coast, also declining the short cut south of the Ile de Batz on a falling tide, so a few miles longer than necessary, but bowled along except for the last hour. Dodged a couple of ferries the size of small mountains going in to Roscoff, greeted a local yachtie as he passed, and followed him up the river with just the Genoa, 1 kn tide, 1 kn boat speed, perfect - you could fall asleep at the helm if you didn't have to turn a corner every two minutes and if the scenery wasn't so mesmerising.

The rain it raineth every day
Upon the just and unjust fella
But more upon the just
Because the unjust hath the just's umbrella.
Comments
Vessel Name: Marcita
Vessel Make/Model: Buchanan 32 ft wooden-hull racer.
Hailing Port: Pin Mill
Crew: Brian Gascoigne and various Classic Sailing Club members
About: We're all members of the Classic Sailing Club, based in Pin Mill on the river Orwell, which is on the East Coast of England.

Sailing to Brittany

Who: Brian Gascoigne and various Classic Sailing Club members
Port: Pin Mill