Marica goes clockwise

Vessel Name: Marica
16 December 2017 | Slipper Sailing Club
08 November 2017 | South coast
07 November 2017 | Newhaven
06 November 2017 | Beachy Head
05 November 2017 | Rye
04 November 2017 | Rye
03 November 2017 | Rye
02 November 2017 | South Coast
01 November 2017 | Thames Estuary
31 October 2017 | Harwich
30 October 2017 | Southwold
27 October 2017 | North Sea
25 October 2017 | Lincolnshire Coast
18 October 2017 | Yorkshire Coast
17 October 2017 | Bridlington
16 October 2017 | Flamborough Head
15 October 2017 | Whitby
12 October 2017 | Yorkshire coast
10 October 2017 | Geordieland
09 October 2017 | England!
Recent Blog Posts
16 December 2017 | Slipper Sailing Club

Epiblog

I met fellow Westerly Centaur owner Tom Bedford in Milford Haven. As it turns out we also share a fondness for real ale and the band Steely Dan. Tom is a freelance journalist and when I got back to Emsworth he suggested writing an article about my trip. I agreed without too much reticence and he sent [...]

08 November 2017 | South coast

From Shoreham

I checked the live wind at Chichester Bar this morning on the Chimet web site. Force 4 northerly. Hey! we could go somewhere, Little Hampton (LA) or even further. I might just make it for the 9 o'clock lock out. I called them and they said I would be going out of the smaller Prince George lock. I had [...]

07 November 2017 | Newhaven

From Newhaven

On Tuesday morning we wake to a southerly force 6. The sea state was expected to be 'moderate' and waves were crashing over the harbour breakwater. George and I had porridge and reviewed the situation. He decided caution was the better part of valour and I walked him to the train station.

06 November 2017 | Beachy Head

From Rye

My dad joined me on a frosty Monday morning for our leg from Rye. His name is George so he is the original George according to my sister, or he is George V for this trip. I thought Eastbourne would be a suitable port to make for, and could be completed in daylight hours. Dad had suggested Newhaven so [...]

05 November 2017 | Rye

More water problems

I started the engine this morning, whilst Marica was afloat, to check the repair on the throttle linkage. It was fine but there was no cooling water flowing through the engine. I assumed that mud was stuck in the inlet pipe. All the boats settle in this soft smelly stuff to the top of their keels. So [...]

04 November 2017 | Rye

Bailing Out

This morning (Saturday) I found the cutlery drawer full of water. It's just underneath the cooker. I was wondering where the water had come in last night. The boat had obviously been heeled over at a bigger angle at the top of the tide. There had been water in the washing up bowl, that I had not tested [...]

From Shoreham

08 November 2017 | South coast
Northerly force 4/5, mostly sunny
I checked the live wind at Chichester Bar this morning on the Chimet web site. Force 4 northerly. Hey! we could go somewhere, Little Hampton (LA) or even further. I might just make it for the 9 o'clock lock out. I called them and they said I would be going out of the smaller Prince George lock. I had about 10 minutes, not time enough to go and pay for our overnight stop, I would phone later. I sorted the lines and saw the traffic lights were green. They then turned red and a footbridge was replaced and a load of cyclists and pedestrians hurried over. The lock keeper then beckoned to me and I motored over, ready to tie up on the starboard side. When I got in the keeper said I needed to be on the other side. The lock is not wide, but I hoped the wind would push the boat across. It was not to be, and the bows started to swing. I managed to just turn the boat around with some judicious use of the gears and throttle. The lock is not much wider than Marica's length. The lock keeper congratulated me on the manoeuvre! He asked for my marina receipt and I admitted I'd not paid yet. He said he could take payment if I had cash. I asked how much fall I should allow for in the lock. No need, the pontoon Marica was tied to was floating and would go down with us. He asked if I would turn the boat around to get out, I said I'd reverse out.

The water went down and a gate opened. However, the exit was half the size of the entrance, and was to our port side. The Volvo kicks to starboard in reverse, so backing out did not seem viable. I tried springing off a stern line. It pushed the bow out, but not enough to complete the turn. Lots of backwards and forwards engine resulted in me breaking the running lights on the bow against the wall. Ah, I might need those later. Eventually we got out. I guess that didn't impress the lock keeper quite so much this time!

Coming out of the harbour, conditions could not have been different to yesterday. Sunny and bright with a fairly calm sea. I pointed the boat towards Selsey Bill. The wind was Northerly and felt like a force 5, maybe because of the chill. I unfurled the head sail and we were moving at over 5 knots. After a couple of hours I noticed water splashing out of the bilges onto the cabin floor. Looking in the engine compartment, the water level was quite high. I could see the leak on the cooling system was much worse than previously. I bailed out the majority of the water.

As we approached the marks Street and Boulder, that designate the Looe channel, we were making nearly nine knots over the ground as the tide helped us along. It was a bit rocky with the waves coming from off the land. Round Selsey Bill and there was a big mass of land or structure ahead of us that I didn't recognise. I could only see its odd outline against the sun. I thought it was maybe a stately loaded container ship, as it later turned out to be. I pointed the nose towards West Pole, off Chichester bar. There was water splashing on the cabin floor again. I opened up the engine compartment and started bailing again. The water was leaking quite quickly now. As I bailed though the leaking stopped. This was worse! I checked the exhaust and no water was coming out. I dropped the revs and water started to flow though the system again.

It was great to reach West Pole, and then Chichester Bar, and then through into the harbour. Home ground at last! I decided to stop at the visitors pontoon to sort out a few items before coming into Emsworth. I tied up, put out fenders and then decided to press on anyhow while it was still light before the tide fell too much. I headed for the Slipper Club quay. There was a yacht on the club quay that was also blocking some of the town quay. I motored in gently and tied up carefully so we would not clash, and to allow the boat to dry out.

I was sorting the boat as the tide was falling. I heard some running water, I checked the engine compartment again and water was pouring in through the cooling pipe. I closed the inlet valve. I used the bilge pump as the water was high. I pumped over 300 strokes and checked the level. No appreciable difference. I decided to wait until low tide and siphon out the water. No rest for the wicked, even on the last day of the voyage!

The photo is of a mark that Marica last passed in May, with the Spinnaker tower in the background.

Transmission ends.
Comments

About & Links