S/V Mari Hal-O-Jen

Though we travel the world over to find the beautiful, we must carry it with us or we find it not. ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

31 December 2010
28 December 2010
23 December 2010
21 December 2010
20 December 2010
16 December 2010
15 December 2010
14 December 2010
13 December 2010
10 December 2010
09 December 2010
07 December 2010
06 December 2010
03 December 2010
01 December 2010
24 November 2010
23 November 2010

Odors on the Breeze

03 January 2009
Time for that story I promised you yesterday!

Curled up in the aft cabin, Hal and I could see Orion out of the open hatch as the cooling seabreeze wafted in. Soon a decidedly not so nice smell was also invading the cabin. Much too strong to be mangroves at low tide we decided that our new neighbors were set on making an impression in their new neighborhood.

This small 28 foot sailboat didn't just make a tranatlantic crossing, rather they moved from B-Dock to S. This voyage means they didn't clear the 12 mile out line to empty their holding tanks and rather than pull up to the pump-out a few slips down on S-Dock it appeared they decided to covertly dump their tanks at midnight in the marina.

As we analyzed this situation through sheets drawn up over our noses we could not believe that a little sailboat like that could possibly have more than a 6 gallon tank. But this odor was so strong and kept coming in ever increasing waves that we finally were reduced to trying to guess what in the world it could possibly be.

A dead whale or a black water slick from one of the many cruise ships in town this time of year?

My head ached and I felt definitely nauseous and Hal had reached his limit as well so up the companionway he stormed ready to either confront our neighbors or call the EPA.

Less than a minute later he was back and hollering for me to get out of bed. But rather than grabbing a phone or a boat hook he was tearing the mattress up trying to get at the battery bank.

No. There was not a dead whale beached on our little sand spit nor was there a slick of black water from a holding tank big or little in the basin. Instead one of our very own batteries was burning off under the bed and the sulphuric acid was what we were being subjected too.

After turning off the battery charger the smell evaporated very quickly and we were able to drift off to sleep on the waves of clean fresh air wafting through the open hatch above our heads.



Today we investigate new batteries. I really like von Wentzel's pages comparing various marine battery options. I think I'll be spending a bit of time reading through his links today but I'll leave you with a question:

Do you prefer Gel, Absorbed Glass Mat (AGM), Flooded Lead Acid, or Nickel-Cadmium for your marine or off-grid elecrical needs?
Comments
Vessel Make/Model: 35' Coronado
Hailing Port: Boca Chica
Crew: Capt. Hal, Jennifer, and our daughter Marianna, a great photographer!
Extra: Warmest Wishes!
Home Page: http://www.sailblogs.com/member/marihalojen/

S/V Mari Hal-O-Jen

Who: Capt. Hal, Jennifer, and our daughter Marianna, a great photographer!
Port: Boca Chica
Faith Arithmetic Reading Writing Exercise Beauty