North to Norway

Exploring new territory in Norway.

26 August 2012 | Tingholmen, Norway
12 August 2012 | Stavanger, Norway
11 August 2012 | Stavanger, Norway
27 July 2012 | Helford to Falmouth, UK
26 July 2012 | St.Mary's to Helford, UK
25 July 2012 | Porth Cressa, Isles of Scilly, UK
24 July 2012 | Menawethan, Isles of Scilly, UK
23 July 2012 | Newlyn to Scilly, UK
22 July 2012 | Falmouth - Newlyn, UK
21 July 2012 | Falmouth; UK
15 July 2012 | Stavanger, Norway
14 July 2012 | Stavanger, Norway
07 July 2012 | Stavanger, Norway
05 July 2012 | Stavanger, Norway
01 July 2012 | Stavanger, Norway
30 June 2012 | Stavanger, Norway
27 June 2012 | Stavanger, Norway
26 June 2012 | Stavanger, Norway
03 June 2012 | Stavanger, Norway
20 May 2012 | Stavanger, Norway

Day 2 - Off to Scilly

23 July 2012 | Newlyn to Scilly, UK
Start / Finish Time: 08:14 / 19:57
Daily time / distance: 41.5 NM / 11hr 42 mins
Weather:.web forecast SSW 2 sunny. Forecast issued 0400 for 0600 Mon to 0600 Tue: variable but mainly S 2-3 occ 4 at times. Mainly 4 in west near Scilly. Slight sea, moderate west of Lizard. Fog patches. Outlook – similar.
Crew: Nevil, Rachel, Robert & Luke. Larry.

After a good breakfast we got underway to catch the outgoing tide. I was helming to get us out and eased us backwards out of the berth. Going into forward I went to spin the wheel but it didn’t go anywhere. I pulled it round but boy it was heavy. Making a bit of a hash of the exit, I couldn’t understand why the steering was so dead, although the previous charterers had mentioned knocking in the steering in the logbook. As I changed to the port steering wheel I found it even more stiff, then realised that although I had released the brake on one wheel it was still on on the other! Lesson no. 1 for that day!

I determined that I would not use electronic navigation that day so used three point fixes to see where we were and forecast estimated positions every hour to do the navigation. I generally found our actual position to be within 1NM of the forecast position at the end of each hour which I was reasonably happy with, especially since the wind was quite flukey and we were alternately sailing then motor-sailing to keep us going. Passing Tater-Du then the Runnel Stone we were soon out into the Lands End TSS although we only saw one ship in the hour and a half it took to cross. We saw more sunfish and some dolphins or porpoise in the distance and the occasional diving gannet.

As we approached Scilly there was a discussion as to where to head. Although I wanted to go north about to St Helen’s Pool, Larry and Rachel wanted to go to St Mary’s so I acquiesced and we entered via St Mary’s Sound. We picked up a buoy, despite some dingy rowers making it very difficult, paid the harbour master and then went ashore in our own dingy for a stretch-legs and some shopping. After buying supplies in the Coop and finding an ex-rental DVD for the boys we returned to Wheal-Go to find her rolling like a pig in a swell coming in from the Western Rocks. After maybe half an hour we decided that this was not going to be conducive to a good night’s sleep so planned and executed a quick motor round to St Helen’s Pool via Crow Sound now that the tide was sufficiently high. We followed the leading line in past various rocks visible in the clear water, although the plotter was showing us up to 30m or so off course and much closer to the rocks than we actually were. We anchored up and had a very quiet, still night in our beds, not something that would have happened in St Mary’s Harbour.

20120723 Track

Rachel helming
Vessel Name: Marita
Vessel Make/Model: Maxi 84
Hailing Port: Stavanger, Norway
Crew: Nevil, Rachel, Robert & Luke
Gallery Error: Unknown Album [1:]:18684
Marita's Photos -

Marita's crew

Who: Nevil, Rachel, Robert & Luke
Port: Stavanger, Norway