North to Norway

Exploring new territory in Norway.

26 August 2012 | Tingholmen, Norway
12 August 2012 | Stavanger, Norway
11 August 2012 | Stavanger, Norway
27 July 2012 | Helford to Falmouth, UK
26 July 2012 | St.Mary's to Helford, UK
25 July 2012 | Porth Cressa, Isles of Scilly, UK
24 July 2012 | Menawethan, Isles of Scilly, UK
23 July 2012 | Newlyn to Scilly, UK
22 July 2012 | Falmouth - Newlyn, UK
21 July 2012 | Falmouth; UK
15 July 2012 | Stavanger, Norway
14 July 2012 | Stavanger, Norway
07 July 2012 | Stavanger, Norway
05 July 2012 | Stavanger, Norway
01 July 2012 | Stavanger, Norway
30 June 2012 | Stavanger, Norway
27 June 2012 | Stavanger, Norway
26 June 2012 | Stavanger, Norway
03 June 2012 | Stavanger, Norway
20 May 2012 | Stavanger, Norway

Day 3 - Seals

24 July 2012 | Menawethan, Isles of Scilly, UK
Nevil. Sunny, warm but no wind.
Start / Finish Time: 09:28 / 13:45
Daily time / distance: 8.3 NM / 4hrs 16 mins
Crew: Nevil, Rachel, Robert & Luke. Larry.

We awoke to a slight mist that gradually burned off to reveal another glorious day of blue skies and sunshine. Our simple aim today was to move round to an anchorage close to Great Arthur and to go snorkelling with the seals at Menawethan. Although the wind was very light Larry used the opportunity to do some sail and power handling with Rachel as we came out through Crow Sound. Robert asked if he could take the dinghy for a spin and since we were mobile I thought we could go to him if he had a problem so granted his wish. Larry was a little sceptical at allowing a not-quite-12-year-old alone in a small RIB but Robert loved it and was very well behaved and showed his ability to be sensible and handle the boat well. When it came to Luke, I got in the dinghy with him but allowed him full control as we went to have a look at the seals up close.
We returned to Wheal-Go and carefully brought her in close to Great Arthur and anchored. A seal was so kind as to be sleeping on the rock awash just to the west of Menawethan so that was easy to spot at least. After some lunch we left Larry on board and went off to snorkel with the seals. Getting into the water was bracing; our wetsuits are a little too big and the water was about 15degC but once in the seals were as inquisitive as ever and we had a great time watching them watching us. After as long as we could stand in the water, the boys wanted more time in the dinghy so I made each of them demonstrate to me that they could row it all the way round Wheal-Go before they were allowed to whizz around within strict boundaries of about 100m from the boat. The squeals of laughter could be easily heard above the noise of the engine until they ran out of petrol and rowed themselves back to Wheal-Go. What a great afternoon!

20120724 Track

Seal as nav aid

N, R and L in dinghy

Rachel swimming with seal

Sunset
Comments
Vessel Name: Marita
Vessel Make/Model: Maxi 84
Hailing Port: Stavanger, Norway
Crew: Nevil, Rachel, Robert & Luke

Marita's crew

Who: Nevil, Rachel, Robert & Luke
Port: Stavanger, Norway