Mat-Lau III World Safari

14 December 2016
10 July 2016
04 June 2016
20 May 2016
18 May 2016
14 May 2016
07 May 2016
06 May 2016
24 March 2016
04 January 2016
03 January 2016
02 January 2016
30 May 2015
26 May 2015
26 May 2015
12 May 2015
11 May 2015
11 May 2015
10 May 2015
10 May 2015

WONDERFUL, WINDY SARDINIA

08 February 2012 | 39 12.05N, 09 07.45E
Patti Toogood, very cold
Christmas has come, and gone, and it’s been a “little” while since we updated this website. We have however been having fun and games in the meantime, all part of that sailing adventure.

Five wonderful days were spent at Cala Di Villamarina (41degrees 11.535’N, 09 degrees 24.466’E) both walking the nearby fortress sites and exploring in our tender the nearby islands, bays and township of La Maddalena – a very busy tourist port in the summer season but relatively quiet this time of the year. When the wind changed to 45+ knots, our tiny little inlet (just 70 meters across), turned into near disaster when our anchor dragged. We went close to shaving some nasty rocks and were lucky enough to get the engines started and the anchor to hold firm, just long enough to get bow to wind, and drag ourselves out of this tricky situation. A quick calculation and we took tail to the safety and protection at Golfo Delle Saline (41 degree 9.651’N, 09degrees 24.678’E), 4 nautical miles away. A roomy, shallow bay where we could sit out the next few stormy days with plenty of chain to hold us firm. Every storm dies though, and there is always another wonderful day.

With improvement in the weather, we had a wonderful few days moving on to the pretty little beach at Aquedotto (41degrees 8.302’N, 09 degrees 26.32’E) and motoring around in the tender to the nearby points of interest. The tender is a 5.8 meter Avon center console inflatable with a 40HP outboard and capable of speeds near 50 knots. A great asset when covering a lot of ground in a short space of time - a great way to trail blaze for the mother ship.

Being well into December and Christmas looming we reluctantly decided to leave the La Maddalena area, and head down the north-east coast of Sardinia to Olbia where our very good friends from Australia – Paul, Katrina and Lilly Whiteman were joining us. Very pretty coastline and bays along the way, and always a spot for safe anchoring. The rounding of Capo Figari (40degree 59.715’N, 09degrees 39.923’E) a spectacular and awesome welcome into Golfo de Olbia.

We arrived, 15th December for our very first marina stay since leaving France. Plenty of time to clean up and bring in the Christmas turkey before our visitors arrived on the 20th. Marina Di Olbia (INFO@MOYS.IT, www.moys.it ) proved to be a modern and spacious place to stay with very friendly and helpful staff. Close to a large shopping centre and buses to Olbia central, which was a short 5 km bike ride away. A place to recommend for those looking for a marina in the area.

The weather was fresh, but exploring was the plan, so on the 21st we headed out and around Isola Tavolara (Olbia’s spectacular backdrop) and on our way North again to show the pretty Maddalena’s to our special guests, and to hopefully have a run across to Bonifacio.

Christmas was spent onboard at Cala di Villamarina, with all the trimmings and a visit from Santa as well. The first Christmas in our new home with dear friends, and a few cheers as well - one to be long remembered. A few days of wind, then perfect for a sail across to Bonifacio and its impressive welcome of sheer cliff face. Another perfect sail back two days later with Paul spending most of the time at the helm and being suitably impressed with the sailing ability of our big cat.

The impending forecast didn’t look promising so we headed back to Olbia for New Year which was spent at an Italian Family Restaurant. The food kept rolling out, the vino was plentiful, the night was voted a hit with all present having too much of everything inside. Then at that magical hour, back onboard, we watched the fireworks display around the Bay of Olbia.

Our guests departed in the morn to drive to other parts of Sardinia, we took charge of the cleanup and maintenance. There was a twinge of sadness in both our hearts when they finally drove off on the 4th January, but we look forward to a return visit. As Katrina said, “In the summer next time!”

By the time we departed Marina Di Olbia on the 11th January, we had sat out winds of 65+ knots. I personally (Patti) have never been on board a boat in these conditions and the noise of wind on masts was overwhelming and exciting at the same time. I could not begin to imagine what it would be like in a full blown hurricane, let alone being out there in that big Ocean. Again, I take my hat off to the Marina staff - they were constantly doing checks when this wild wind was blowing.

The weather was perfect now to head down the East coast towards Cagliari with a light south-wester blowing. Without doubt, the highlight of our trip was the coastline from Cala Ganome to Arbitrax – 500 meter high granite cliffs plunging into the crystal clear sea, many sandy little bays in between cliffs, and the most spectacular caves I have ever seen. But that is another story which I wrote in some news to friends and will also include on this Blog. After this delightful trip down the coast we final reached the Southern tip at Capo Carbonara on the 15th January, then found a lovely little spot to anchor just around the corner at Villasimius (39 degrees 7.264’N, 09 degrees 30.472’E).

The weather has been cool to say the least, the layers are being worn, the wind feels chillier than usual but we have had some beautifully crisp, sunny days, and we have seen some wonderful scenery.
Comments
Vessel Name: Mat-Lau III
Vessel Make/Model: Lagoon 500
Hailing Port: Southport, Australia
Crew: Kevin Hiscox and Patti Toogood
About: Very excited couple embarking on a 10 - 15 year World cruise of the Mediterranean, Caribbean, North and South America, Pacific Islands and Asia.
Extra: Mat-Lau III is a 2007 Lagoon 500 3 cabin owners version. She has 2 x 75hp Yanmar sail drives with folding props and full suite of Membrane Taffeta/Carbon/Aramid/Taffeta sails.
Mat-Lau III's Photos - Main
1 Photo
Created 6 May 2013
Sicilian excitement!
No Photos
Created 23 April 2013