Mat-Lau III World Safari

14 December 2016
10 July 2016
04 June 2016
20 May 2016
18 May 2016
14 May 2016
07 May 2016
06 May 2016
24 March 2016
04 January 2016
03 January 2016
02 January 2016
30 May 2015
26 May 2015
26 May 2015
12 May 2015
11 May 2015
11 May 2015
10 May 2015
10 May 2015

ARRIVED AT MAHON, MENORCA

15 May 2013 | 39 52.79N, 04 18.39E
Kevin Hiscox, cold and overcast
Well here we are in Mahon on the Spanish island of Menorca, re-provisioning, exploring and waiting for the arrival of visitors. What a wonderfully sheltered and safe port Mahon (Maó) is. Apart from a lumpy sea as we set out, it was a great trip across from Alghero on the west coast of Sardinia, covering the distance of 200 nautical miles in 36 hours. Patti was happy that the seas were kind and she got enough sleep on the way.

Since leaving Marina di Ragusa on 5th March, we have sailed north-east around Sicily to the Messina Straits, stopping off at Sirucusa for a few days, and also at Reposto to spend a day climbing Mt Etna (still covered in snow). The night before we left this area, Etna put on a real show - shooting magma up to 1 kilometres high, and covering our decks with black grit. Fortunately this proved easy to wash off, and left no stain, unlike the red rain from Africa often encountered in the in the Med.

Once we cleared the Messina Straits, we headed up the Italian west coast enjoying some lovely spots including the spectacular Amalfi region, the Isle of Capri and Isola d'Ischia where our anchorage nestled below an imposing old monastery. A couple of days were spent beside the colorful little town of Corricella on Isola di Procida before we sailed across to Isola di Ponza and spent a very enjoyable 4 days exploring this spectacular little island.

On the 27 March we set sail for Porto Vecchio on the island of Corsica. Lovely to get back to those French cheeses and wines, and breads and creme brûlées and�...�.....so it goes on. The south-east coast of Corsica which we hadn't yet explored had some lovely little bays and beaches - what a beautiful coastline.

Leaving Corsica on 5 May, we sailed to Porto Liscia on the north coast of Sardinia (Italy). A totally sheltered and deep bay surrounded by a beautiful beach - how safe an anchorage was this. We spent three wonderful days kayaking, walking and exploring the area in the tender.

We set sail to Capo Falcone on the NW tip of Sardinia and anchored in the lee of the headland at Passage Della Pelosa. A place we would have liked to spend more days at as it offered excellent weather protection and beautiful sandy beaches. We had an objective though to be in Mahon, Menorca by 15th May to meet family from Australia so from here we sailed down the spectacular north-west coast of Sardinia, rounding Capo Caccio and settling near Alghero. Definitely a lovely city not to be missed. Four days then of kayaking, walking and dinghying around the spectacular Capo Caccia and surrounding area. The climb down, then back up again, to the caves at the Cape an entertaining and special walk. The weather then turned in our favour. It was time to sadly farewell "our" Sardinia and head of on our new Balearic adventure!

Time allowing over the next couple of months, we will try to fill the many blanks we have left in our travels - watch this space.

Kevin and Patti
Comments
Vessel Name: Mat-Lau III
Vessel Make/Model: Lagoon 500
Hailing Port: Southport, Australia
Crew: Kevin Hiscox and Patti Toogood
About: Very excited couple embarking on a 10 - 15 year World cruise of the Mediterranean, Caribbean, North and South America, Pacific Islands and Asia.
Extra: Mat-Lau III is a 2007 Lagoon 500 3 cabin owners version. She has 2 x 75hp Yanmar sail drives with folding props and full suite of Membrane Taffeta/Carbon/Aramid/Taffeta sails.
Mat-Lau III's Photos - Main
1 Photo
Created 6 May 2013
Sicilian excitement!
No Photos
Created 23 April 2013