Mat-Lau III World Safari

14 December 2016
10 July 2016
04 June 2016
20 May 2016
18 May 2016
14 May 2016
07 May 2016
06 May 2016
24 March 2016
04 January 2016
03 January 2016
02 January 2016
30 May 2015
26 May 2015
26 May 2015
12 May 2015
11 May 2015
11 May 2015
10 May 2015
10 May 2015

A LUMPY PASSAGE

27 May 2013 | 39 59.94N, 03 49.77E
Patti Toogood. Windy & cool
The boredom of sitting out the elements for another few days prompted a decision to move out and around the corner to Ciutadella. The wind reports promised a favourable direction to put up some sail, it all looked good for a "fairly" smooth run. Our visitors were excited by the next step, the cameras were charged up, as was their enthusiasm. We set out from our safe, if somewhat draughty anchorage at the Furnells.

The swell as we headed seaward through the channel was exuberant and coming from every direction. "Not to worry," enthused the skipper, "it will flatten once we round the point!" Nevertheless, I produced life jackets and we floundered in the aft cockpit struggling to don these safety harnesses whilst maintaining balance. Finally all four crew were back on the fly bridge, the best spot to be for lense snapping the rocky terrain and avoiding any excessive tummy turmoil.

A captain doesn't always keep his promises! A few hours out from port and the sea persisted in her attempt to manipulate us from all sides, the wind would not come around to our way of thinking and conditions were not being empathic for novice sailors. Enthusiastic camera shots had now been replaced by a yen for heads bent over head and heads on a pillow. Also a silent, willing kind of prayer that this lumpy ordeal would end, sooner rather than later!

Finally we turned the corner a few sea miles from Ciutadella. It has always amazed me how a flatter sea, the sight of land, and the smell of Tapas onshore can help overcome even the most extreme cases of seasickness.

Tied up safely to Terra Firma and the excitement of a new venue to explore, our intrepid sailors donned their land legs and were off. Maybe seeking out the Ciutadella version of Sangria, perhaps looking for a version of non-skid espadrilles, but certainly, all thoughts of the previous hours had deserted their minds.
Comments
Vessel Name: Mat-Lau III
Vessel Make/Model: Lagoon 500
Hailing Port: Southport, Australia
Crew: Kevin Hiscox and Patti Toogood
About: Very excited couple embarking on a 10 - 15 year World cruise of the Mediterranean, Caribbean, North and South America, Pacific Islands and Asia.
Extra: Mat-Lau III is a 2007 Lagoon 500 3 cabin owners version. She has 2 x 75hp Yanmar sail drives with folding props and full suite of Membrane Taffeta/Carbon/Aramid/Taffeta sails.
Mat-Lau III's Photos - Main
1 Photo
Created 6 May 2013
Sicilian excitement!
No Photos
Created 23 April 2013