The Sailabout of Mauliola

WWW.FASTCAT65.COM

18 October 2016 | Nuku Hiva
11 October 2016 | Fatu Hiva, Marquesas
08 October 2016 | Makemo
06 October 2016 | Tahanea
25 September 2016 | Rotoava, Fakarava
25 September 2016 | Rotoava, Fakarava
05 September 2016 | Fakarava
05 September 2016 | Fakarava
01 September 2016 | Fakarava, North Pass.
30 August 2016 | Fakarava, south pass
22 August 2016 | Tahiti
23 October 2015 | Port Denarau
05 October 2015 | Fakarava, south pass
05 October 2015 | Vurolevu Island
26 September 2015 | Matasawalevu Bay
24 September 2015 | Vunisea, Kadavu
06 September 2015 | Fulaga, Fiji
06 September 2015 | Fulaga, Fiji
06 September 2015 | Fulaga, Fiji
04 September 2015 | Susui Island

Getting ready to leave Costa Rica

26 July 2012
C. Farias/beautiful day and still hot
We have been making plans to leave for weeks but the boat Gods were not in our favor. As those that have boats know, plans are always changed without any warning. Between the many things I learned, one is to have patience. If this was a staple item, one found in the market, I would stock up for sure.
Costa Rica reminds me so much of Brasil and the times Jerry and I lived there. Everything ends up being an adventure or frustration to no end. Something as simple as having your propane tanks filled up ends up in driving for many hours and stopping in many different stores without any success. And starting again next day and doing the same thing all over. At least the drive is beautiful, and everybody is very helpful. If they could just give better directions...
Now, when we were ready to leave to Galapagos, we found another broken part on the boat. Of course this was another improperly built part and we couldn't go anywhere until fixed. To our rescue came Tony Morrelli, all the way from California, to have it fixed. And he saved our trip. Our new hero.
We have stocked up in food again and spent an entire day preparing meals and freezing them for the crossing so we don't have to do much cooking underway, at least for a few days.
A trip to the farmer's market in Liberia was in order and I am glad we went. The variety of fruits, known and unknown to me, was great. We bought an entire stock of bananas, the type we call ice cream bananas in Hawaii and banana maca in Brasil, for the price of US$4.00. There were so many bananas, enough to give to the neighbor's boats, to make 8 banana breads, and for us to eat for a week. And, the best banana pancakes I have had.
I have had my second Costa Rica hair cut already and I am good to go. Next stop is Isla de Cocos, just 330 miles from here. It is a national park and we had to go thru an extensive and expensive process to get a permit to go there. The Costa Rica government has changed the laws and now only so many boats are allowed each week.
From Isla de Cocos our next destination is the Galapagos. Aloha to you all and a hui ho.
Comments
Vessel Name: Mauliola
Vessel Make/Model: Morrelli&Melvin Custom 65' Catamaran
Hailing Port: Hawaii
Crew: Jerry King and Conceicao Farias, owners
About: Conceicao is a Brazilian, Hawaiian by heart, wahine (girl). Conceicao e uma Brasileira, Cearence, Hawaiana de coracao. Jerry is from California, an old Hobie cat sailor, the man with a vision and a mission.
Extra: Our plans: to do a sailabout and come out in the other side of the seas. The South Pacific is our first stop.
Home Page: Https://www.fastcat65.com
Mauliola's Photos - Main
Fiji 2015
7 Photos
Created 16 August 2015
32 Photos
Created 12 June 2015
8 Photos
Created 8 July 2012
3 Photos
Created 24 April 2012