The Sailabout of Mauliola

WWW.FASTCAT65.COM

18 October 2016 | Nuku Hiva
11 October 2016 | Fatu Hiva, Marquesas
08 October 2016 | Makemo
06 October 2016 | Tahanea
25 September 2016 | Rotoava, Fakarava
25 September 2016 | Rotoava, Fakarava
05 September 2016 | Fakarava
05 September 2016 | Fakarava
01 September 2016 | Fakarava, North Pass.
30 August 2016 | Fakarava, south pass
22 August 2016 | Tahiti
23 October 2015 | Port Denarau
05 October 2015 | Fakarava, south pass
05 October 2015 | Vurolevu Island
26 September 2015 | Matasawalevu Bay
24 September 2015 | Vunisea, Kadavu
06 September 2015 | Fulaga, Fiji
06 September 2015 | Fulaga, Fiji
06 September 2015 | Fulaga, Fiji
04 September 2015 | Susui Island

Naivivi Bay, Qamea

23 June 2015 | Naivivi Bay
C. Farias/Sunny and not too warm
We are now anchored in a lovely bay named Naivivi, in the Island of Qamea. It was a short sail from Katherine Bay, about 3 hours, and with light winds. Naivivi Bay has 3 small Fijian villages and it had 6 other sailing vessels anchored in the Bay when we arrived. Their crew was waiting for a weather window to sail to the Islands in the south. They all left next day. 2 other boats came in and it has been quiet. The entrance to the anchorage is narrow and surrounded by reefs in both sides. Only one sign marks the channel. We had good waypoints given to us by Curly (this is another story) but even then we had all eyes on the water trying to spot bomies as the waters in Fiji are poorly charted. We were guided to the end of the bay by a lovely Fijian, Peter, who also arrangeud for us to meet the Village Chief to do the Sevusevu. Sevusevu is a Fijian tradition that is still followed today. It is a visitor obligation to meet the Chief and bring as a gift a bundle of kawa root. If the Chief accepts your gift, you are welcomed in the village and you are under his protection and are treated as one of them. To do Sevusevu we had to dress with a sarong or long dress or skirt. No shoulders uncovered, no sunglasses, hats or shorts or bikinis. Peter, as our spokesman, introduced us to the Chief as we sat crossed leg in the floor in his house, and Jerry, as the "Chief of our tribe", placed the kava in front of the Chief. He gave a small talk in Fijian, then in English he welcomed us to the Village. We are so glad we did the Sevusevu. Many cruisers do not. It is the right thing to do as we are anchoring in their front yard. We would not like anyone traspassing in our property without asking permission would we? The Chief thanked us for honoring the tradition. Jerry had purchased a sulu for the occasion, a traditional man's skirt that the Fijians wear, and he looked good in it.
Today we visited the school and had the pleasure to meet the children. They have 140 kids, age 12 and under. So much is needed and so little is given. We will see what we can do to help. Tomorrow the children will be performing a play and we were invited to attend it. We can't wait. Aloha to all and until next time.
Comments
Vessel Name: Mauliola
Vessel Make/Model: Morrelli&Melvin Custom 65' Catamaran
Hailing Port: Hawaii
Crew: Jerry King and Conceicao Farias, owners
About: Conceicao is a Brazilian, Hawaiian by heart, wahine (girl). Conceicao e uma Brasileira, Cearence, Hawaiana de coracao. Jerry is from California, an old Hobie cat sailor, the man with a vision and a mission.
Extra: Our plans: to do a sailabout and come out in the other side of the seas. The South Pacific is our first stop.
Home Page: Https://www.fastcat65.com
Mauliola's Photos - Main
Fiji 2015
7 Photos
Created 16 August 2015
32 Photos
Created 12 June 2015
8 Photos
Created 8 July 2012
3 Photos
Created 24 April 2012