Life aboard Maxine

09 August 2010
04 July 2010
17 May 2010
17 May 2010
10 February 2010
10 February 2010
10 February 2010
10 February 2010
26 December 2009
24 December 2009
23 December 2009
23 December 2009
19 December 2009
10 December 2009
09 December 2009
09 December 2009
02 December 2009

February Weekend

09 December 2009
February 19, 2009
We left for the coast and had an uneventful ride over, arriving at 2:30p. It was cool but sunny. We knew the holding tank had to be pumped out and wanted to get it done before dark, so we put off unpacking the car and took Maxine down to the marina office. The wind had picked up and with the entrance being narrow we decided to go out into the harbor and turn around, rather than try it inside the marina. What we didn't know was that this area is effected by a "wind tide" which blows the water either in or out of the sound depending on which way it's blowing. Well we found out quick enough, we made it through the dogleg and out into the channel but grounded right in the middle. The bottom is soft so we weren't really worried about damage, but we were hard aground and darkness was approaching! We tried all the tricks we could think of but had no luck, so we called Tow Boat. They were great, they sent 2 young guys in a power boat over quickly. They pulled us off and followed us back to our slip to make sure we got in OK. What a way to start the weekend! After that we quickly unloaded the car and had a nice dinner of chili and cornbread in our cozy little cabin.

February 20, 2009
We woke up to another cool and sunny day. We ahd several boat chores to get done, so we spent the day working. Tracy stopped by to go over final details for the new cushions. We made jambalya for dinner and watched a movie we had rented, then turned in early. The cabin heater works great on these chilly days.

February 21, 2009
Well we woke to cool and sunny weather again and since we had done our chores yesterday we went out for a sail. We had a tough time getting out of the marina as there was just no water. We managed to get out without grounding but felt the keel rubbing most of the way. Yikes, we'll really have to watch these crazy wind tides around here. We spent the afternoon sailing around the area. It was wonderful, such a beautiful area. Then it was dinner at The Silos and then a movie onboard.

February 22, 2009
We woke early and headed home for a safe and uneventful ride.
Comments
Vessel Name: Maxine
Vessel Make/Model: 35 Irwin Citation
Hailing Port: Oriental, NC
Crew: Jean & Joe Hurley
About: We are originally from Cape Cod, MA and learned to sail around the cape and Islands. We sailed a Hunter 30 until recently when we bought an Irwin 35 Citation in Tampa, Florida and sailed her to Oriental, NC.
Extra: We live in Flowery Branch, GA but will be commuting to NC for weekends and vacations.

Adventures Aboard Maxine

Who: Jean & Joe Hurley
Port: Oriental, NC