Life aboard Maxine

09 August 2010
04 July 2010
17 May 2010
17 May 2010
10 February 2010
10 February 2010
10 February 2010
10 February 2010
26 December 2009
24 December 2009
23 December 2009
23 December 2009
19 December 2009
10 December 2009
09 December 2009
09 December 2009
02 December 2009

What A Weekend!

19 December 2009
June 11, 2009
We couldn't leave until noontime as I had a manditory class at the hospital where I work. We arrived and it was hot and sunny. We noticed a foul smell right away when we went onboard. It smelled rotten! Well after checking around we noticed the refrigerator wasn't cold, everything in it had spoiled. We threw everything away and scrubbed it out. Then went out to dinner at the Silos as it had gotten dark and was looking like rain. After dinner we went back to Pecan Grove and for a swim in the pool then a nice quiet night in the cockpit. I love to sit in the cockpit on a clear night, with a nice glass of wine and watch the sun go down and then the stars come out! We were trying to decide whether to repair or replace the refrigerator. We decided to call a repairman tomorrow and see what his thoughts were on the situation.


June 12, 2009
It was a hot, humid night and our A/C isn't working well either. We knew this prior to buying her, but hadn't done anything about it yet. I guess it's time to look into that problem too. We headed over to Deaton's to see about getting someone out to the boat, soon. He came over around noontime and said our refrigerator couldn't be recharged and was probably out of freon. He said the A/C is also not worth repairing. She had been owned by a live aboard in Florida previously so the A/C had seen alot of use. These are 2 expensive items, Yikes!! What is it they say about money and boats???? Well, we will use the refrigerator as an ice box for the time being and open the ports and hatches for a breeze for now, but we will have to buy a new refrigerator and A/C unit when we get home. Maxine can be a needy girl!! But we love her. We hung out during thunderstorms all afternoon/evening and turned in early.

June 13,2009
We got up to another hot, sunny day and decided to go sailing. No where in particular, just went where the wind blew. We had a great day, the wind came up and Maxine handled like a dream! Joe let me bring her in and it was so much fun. There were huge barges out on the Neuse River when we crossed, but we stayed clear of them. We went back around 4:30 and went for a quick swim then headed into New Bern for a nice dinner at Morgan's, always one of our favorites.

June 14, 2009
We woke to another hot, sunny day and decided to spend another day sailing. We headed up the Neuse River towards New Bern. We anchored near Minnesott Beach for lunch and a quick swim off the boat. We headed in around 4:30 and made a nice dinner in the cockpit while watching the sunset. We had been watching these crazy little fish that jump out of the water and found out from some of the locals that they are called Mullets. They are fun to watch and make me laugh. We met Jim and his dog Nugget, a beagle. They are from a sailboat down by the club house called Kitty Wake. They were out for their nightly walk around the marina. This is the life!!!

June 15,2009
We got up to another nice day, but had to pack up and head home. Back to work to pay for the new refrigerator and A/C units. It was a super weekend and we hated to leave.
Comments
Vessel Name: Maxine
Vessel Make/Model: 35 Irwin Citation
Hailing Port: Oriental, NC
Crew: Jean & Joe Hurley
About: We are originally from Cape Cod, MA and learned to sail around the cape and Islands. We sailed a Hunter 30 until recently when we bought an Irwin 35 Citation in Tampa, Florida and sailed her to Oriental, NC.
Extra: We live in Flowery Branch, GA but will be commuting to NC for weekends and vacations.

Adventures Aboard Maxine

Who: Jean & Joe Hurley
Port: Oriental, NC